Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Connection suddenly less than 0.5M

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 13-10-2015, 14:08   #1
bbwannabe
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 567
bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

There has been many upgrades from VM the past year or so, and there is supposedly another one scheduled for my area at the end of November, but since the last "upgrade", I haven't noticed any speed gains, if anything, a speedloss.
I have tried a speedtest and the results it has given me shows I do not even get 50% of the max speeds I could potentially get -- 22MB. Is this normal?

Appreciate any help given.

Thanks.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-10-2015, 17:06   #2
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

no but there are a couple of things to try. My connection has been unusually flakey the last couple of days and I ran a speedtest yesterday and just now and on both occasions it would not budge over 45mbits. Yesterday I let it go and put it down to weekend congestion but I knew something was up just now because it was flattening out at too low a speed. I checked my power levels and my pre and post rs errors were in the thousands on every channels so I have just rebooted the shub and everything is back to normal now and my speedtest result has come back at 152mbits.

What device are you doing your speedtest on and is it wired or wireless because 22mbits is a very relevant and specific result?
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 18:26   #3
bbwannabe
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 567
bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

I did the speedtest on my PC using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest through a wired connection to the router.

Whereabouts can I find the power levels, I've logged into the superhub settings page, but can't find it. Strangely as well, I've noticed I'm in router mode, despite being pretty sure I turned it off and enabled modem mode - not sure how that happened.
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 18:47   #4
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

I was about to moan my ass off at how unreliable that test was because it said my download speed is half what it should be and my upload speed is <1mbit but I have just run the test on speedtest.net and it came back the same Something dodgy is definitely going on.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2015, 07:50   #5
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier
 
heero_yuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Worthing West Sussex
Age: 69
Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
Posts: 11,316
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbwannabe View Post
I did the speedtest on my PC using http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest through a wired connection to the router.

Whereabouts can I find the power levels, I've logged into the superhub settings page, but can't find it. Strangely as well, I've noticed I'm in router mode, despite being pretty sure I turned it off and enabled modem mode - not sure how that happened.
Click on "router status" on the login page. Top RH. Then you'll get a menu for the various stats.
__________________
History is much like an endless waltz: The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever.
However history will change with my coronation - Mariemaia Khushrenada
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 21:41   #6
bbwannabe
Inactive
 
Join Date: May 2004
Age: 42
Posts: 567
bbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the roughbbwannabe is a jewel in the rough
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

After having an engineer over to fix high download power levels, I still couldn't achieve 50% of what was capable. After a hunch, I tested it without the router, and it worked perfectly. I have since gotten a newer router and it seems to work fine now.
Hopefully I'll remember to do this test next time I get an issue.
Thanks to those who replied on this thread
bbwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 07:34   #7
General Maximus
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lincoln
Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
Posts: 11,021
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: On the 50Mb package, but not getting those speeds.

great, getting a proper router is always a wise choice.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:06.


Server: lithium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
All Posts and Content are © Cable Forum