View Single Post
Old 21-06-2020, 12:10   #625
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Black Lives Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Don't we already have that https://www.eoc.org.uk/

The Equality Act has specified 9 areas that are termed in the legislation as protected characteristics. These include (in no particular order):

Race
Disability
Pregnancy
Marital status
Sexual orientation.
Gender reassignment
Religious background
It's a law - doesn't mean it's always followed (otherwise, we wouldn't have drunk drivers, speeders, burglars, murderers, etc. as there are also laws against those).

---------- Post added at 12:10 ---------- Previous post was at 12:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Indeed but my point was more aimed at those that push for equality of outcome. i.e. a specific quota of whatever minority you might think of.

Meaning you put a less able and qualified person ahead of a more able and qualified person just to fulfil an outcome.
Never seen that happen - just because someone has a "protected characteristic" doesn't mean they'll get a job because of that; they also have to have the competencies, capabilities, and required experience.

(unless you're talking about political Ministerial posts - experience and competency don't seem to be a requisite (for whichever party is in power)).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote