Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Weird Problem with HomePlugs/Or Desktop PC?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Weird Problem with HomePlugs/Or Desktop PC?

Old 20-02-2015, 15:08   #1
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Weird Problem with HomePlugs/Or Desktop PC?

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if you can help. Recently my desktop pc keeps disconnecting from my local network the disconnection will last for approx 15-30 seconds and causes my dropbox to stop syncing and all websites to stop loading. I cannot access any of my local network devices either when the disconnections happen.

I currently have the following setup.

Virgin Media SHUB 2 (I had the asus n66u previously and problem still occurred)

4x Zykel 600Mb Homeplugs (I recently bought a new pair to see if the homeplugs were at fault problem still occurs)

Desktop PC Running Windows XP (Dual Boot problem also occurs in Windows 7) Using on-board Nic (Asus m5a97 r2.0 Motherboard)

I get around 3-5 disconnections a day at random times. I've tried the following...

1) Changed Routers
2) Purchased New 600mb Homeplugs
3) Tried Homeplug in six different sockets within the room
4) Changed Ethernet Cables
5) Purchased New 1200mb Homeplugs
6) Ran Anti-virus / Anti Spyware Checks on Desktop Machine

I've tried all of the above and the problem still occurs I’ve noticed if I run a constant ping to the default gateway I do not get any disconnections all day!

Things to note...

1) Router does not disconnect from internet
2) Wireless continues to work when desktop machine looses connection
3) All homeplug lights remain green even when disconnection occurs

Apart from setting up a temp hard-wire connection is there anything else you can think of?
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-02-2015, 15:32   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Weird Problem with HomePlugs/Or Desktop PC?

What exactly are the symptoms of the "disconnection"?
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2015, 15:58   #3
desi112
cf.member

In Windows XP towards the bottom corner near the clock the network connection remains alive but data can only be sent and not received any attempted to ping the default gateway or any website fails. Within approx 30 seconds data begins to be received again.
Old 20-02-2015, 16:52   #4
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

I would suspect connectivity problems between the homeplugs in that case, if Windows isn't saying anything's actually disconnected or showing you a yellow exclamation mark over the connection. Possibly short bursts of noise or interference disrupting data flow. Either that or a faulty onboard network card (or perhaps it's set to energy saving/turn itself off after certain time mode?).
Old 20-02-2015, 17:08   #5
desi112
cf.member

Yes windows is not showing any yellow exclamation marks.
Also just checked the energy settings and it was set to "enable pc to switch off this device to save power" I've unticked this and will report back to see if this was the issue first.
I'll hard wire the connection tomorrow and report back... I am just transferring my files across from dropbox to google drive!
If I keep getting disconnections with a hard-wired connection I guess it must be a faulty NIC!
Old 20-02-2015, 17:37   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

It won't be the "Switch off this device to save power" option, if there's an advanced tab there may be something in there such as "Energy Efficient Ethernet" or "Green Ethernet" or "Reduce speed/disable when idle" etc.
Old 21-02-2015, 13:35   #7
desi112
cf.member

Thanks for the reply there was "green ethernet" which I've set to disable, I'll report back!
Old 21-03-2015, 16:23   #8
desi112
cf.member

Just wanted to update. The problem still occurred after I made the recommend changes. I've hard-wired the connection through a 25m Ethernet cable and so far after 7 days 0 disconnections! so must of been homeplug interference.
Old 21-03-2015, 16:37   #9
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

A student came to me with a similar problem. In Halls it was great, in a shared house it was awful. We eventually found it was electrical interference from their gas boiler. I don't touch gas, so he paid for an proper inspection, and they found faulty capacitors on the mobo.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote