Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Traffic Shaping

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Traffic Shaping

Old 03-04-2006, 17:01   #151
fluff
Inactive

fluff is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Traffic Shaping

Interesting. I have noticed a slowdown in p2p/HTTP downloads during the evening. It doesn't really bother me though as I usually game dring the evening and I always get rock solid low pings
fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2006, 18:36   #152
Frank
cf.mega poster

Services: Beanfield 50/50 FTTH and iPTV
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura
Frank has a golden auraFrank has a golden aura

Quote:
†œNetwork neutralityââ ¬Â is a voluntary but guiding principle of the Internet which ensures that all users are entitled to access content and services or run applications and devices of their choice.

Net neutrality fosters open competition and innovation among service providers, while preserving the independence and accessibility of the World Wide Web. The current abundance of online content is the offspring of net neutrality. Under network neutrality, consumers enjoy limitless choices.

As Internet historian Randall Stross explains: †œRather than having network operators select content providers on our behalf †” the philosophy of the local cable company †” the Internet allows all of us to act as our own network programmers, serving a demographic of just one person.ââ‚à ‚¬Ã‚

The brilliance of this end-to-end network is that the intelligence resides at the edge of the network; the wires in between simply pass information between individual users. The networkââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s only job is to move data †” not to stifle user innovation by selecting which services to privilege with higher speeds.

As a result of this openness, anyone can try out a new idea without having to cross a cable or telephone companyââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s permission barrier. Tech guru David Isenberg explains it this way: †œA hobbyist collecting Pez dispensers could develop the idea to become Ebay. A couple of Stanford students could start Google and build a better search engine. Two guys in Europe could assemble a handful of programmers to invent Skype and threaten the trillion-dollar annual global tel-economy.ââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

Without safeguards against corporate meddling, the Internetââ‚ ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s open road to innovation will become a closed highway for big media and their self-selected allies.
http://www.freepress.net/netfreedom/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality
http://www.democraticmedia.org/issue...eutrality.html

Does the following quote sound familiar?
Quote:
Broadband is the battleground. As more Americans upgrade to high-speed Internet connections, the companies that control the "pipes" are plotting out new ways to profit from the demand. The telco and cable giants want to fence off the Internet: one area for the haves †” who will pay a premium to enjoy life in the fast lane †” and the other for the have-nots.
Let's start the campaign in the UK then, as network neutrality is disappearing in the UK and nobody appears to be doing anything about it.
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 18:51   #153
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

All,

Update:-

ntl have stressed for the moment that there is no changes and Traffic shaping is not in force. This morning I had contacted ntl regarding what had been put into the User policy recently regarding Traffic shaping. ntl have now removed the paragraph detailing the specifics of 'Traffic Shaping' and have issued the following statement to Cable Forum:-

Chad Raube, director of internet for ntl Telewest, said:

"A revised paragraph appeared in ntl's user policy over the weekend, which has now been removed. The clause related to how we manage network traffic to ensure an optimal service for all ntl broadband customers.

"While we continually review ways to offer the best quality service and are currently considering updates to our user policy, the paragraph removed was work in progress that shouldn't have appeared on the website.

"I would like to apologise for any confusion this miscommunication may have caused and we will aim to keep customers informed of any significant changes to the user policy in the future."

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 19:14   #154
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Thanks for the info Mick.

Whether it was actually a mistake or a very good excuse given the feelings of many forum members, I suppose we will never know.

I would like to think the former, but thats the optimist in me
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 19:16   #155
Fawkes
Inactive

Services: VM: 120M Broadband, TV + Landline
Fawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond reputeFawkes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob

Whether it was actually a mistake or a very good excuse given the feelings of many forum members, I suppose we will never know.

If NTL have already paid for traffic shaping kit they will use it at some point.
Old 03-04-2006, 19:17   #156
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob

I'd like to think it was the latter.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 19:18   #157
jtwn
Inactive

jtwn has reached the bronze age
jtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze agejtwn has reached the bronze age

Do notice that it says 'work in progress' though, so maybe they only intend to update the user policy when the systems are in operation nationwide.
jtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 19:22   #158
Bob
cf.mega poster

Services: Sky Q and Hyperoptic
Bob has reached the bronze age
Bob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze ageBob has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I'd like to think it was the latter.
Really?!? I would never have guessed Neil
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 19:35   #159
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob

If NTL have already paid for traffic shaping kit they will use it at some point.
I may be missing something here, but do we know if NTL actually have bought any traffic shaping equipment?

All I can find is a change to Ts&Cs which NTL have now said was released by mistake, and a link Neil posted to a product that can be used to shape network traffic.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 19:49   #160
Bill C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob

I would like to think the former, but that's the optimist in me
I may be missing something here, but do we know if NTL actually have bought any traffic shaping equipment?

All I can find is a change to Ts&Cs which NTL have now said was released by mistake, and a link Neil posted to a product that can be used to shape network traffic.
Unfortunately we will never know at this stage in the cat and mouse process due to NDA and the like.

I know what i know and that's all i am saying.

This stinks of being court with your pants down NTL.
Old 03-04-2006, 21:49   #161
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank

http://www.freepress.net/netfreedom/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality
http://www.democraticmedia.org/issue...eutrality.html

Does the following quote sound familiar?

Let's start the campaign in the UK then, as network neutrality is disappearing in the UK and nobody appears to be doing anything about it.
Its an idea.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C

Ntl have the equipment. I am not guessing it is a fact.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 22:38   #162
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

this is taking the Pi** now, earlier i was downloading some music from itunes fine at about 8mbps now just ran a speed test and got this

Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:39:28 GMT

1st 512K took 5531 ms = 92.6 KB/sec, approx 763 Kbps, 0.75 Mbps
2nd 512K took 7703 ms = 66.5 KB/sec, approx 548 Kbps, 0.54 Mbps
3rd 512K took 6687 ms = 76.6 KB/sec, approx 631 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps
4th 512K took 7547 ms = 67.8 KB/sec, approx 559 Kbps, 0.55 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 625 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

this is on a 10mb line
so they deff are shaping now
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 22:50   #163
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobna
this is taking the Pi** now, earlier i was downloading some music from itunes fine at about 8mbps now just ran a speed test and got this

Mon, 03 Apr 2006 20:39:28 GMT

1st 512K took 5531 ms = 92.6 KB/sec, approx 763 Kbps, 0.75 Mbps
2nd 512K took 7703 ms = 66.5 KB/sec, approx 548 Kbps, 0.54 Mbps
3rd 512K took 6687 ms = 76.6 KB/sec, approx 631 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps
4th 512K took 7547 ms = 67.8 KB/sec, approx 559 Kbps, 0.55 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 625 Kbps, 0.62 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

this is on a 10mb line
so they deff are shaping now

or theres just congestion on the network
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 22:56   #164
bobna
cf.addict

bobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the roughbobna is a jewel in the rough

yeah must be a shedload then!!
bobna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 23:05   #165
AbyssUnderground
cf.mega poster

Services: BT Infinity Option 2, HH5, synced at maximum 80Mbps/20Mbps.
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
AbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze ageAbyssUnderground has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to AbyssUnderground

NTL must have known this would happen. If there is only around 33Mbps on a UBR then 3 and a bit people maxing out their 10Mbps is going to kill it. Surely they knew that?

Traffic shaping is a good idea until they get their act and their network together but the shaping they must be enforcing (if any) seems rediculous in speed terms. I can 99.9% of the time max out my 2Mbps connection no problem at all.

You pay for 10Mbps, you should get at least half of it garunteed (at least within the NTL network).

Just my £0.02!
AbyssUnderground is offline   Reply With Quote