Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New tv which is 4k?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New tv which is 4k?

Old 19-11-2019, 21:19   #16
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: New tv which is 4k?

We replaced our main 32" TV with another 32" TV and it looked tiny at first, such had been the progress in technology in the 10 years that meant the frame had been greatly reduced. It is lovely however and makes the room feel bigger. I'm so glad we didn't go bigger. It was a resolution increase though,as it was Full HD, unlike the weird in-between resolution we had before.

On the PC monitor front, I chose one to upgrade one room last year from a 17" screen to a 24" Full HD for much less than the equivalent proper TV. It's hooked up to a Freeview PVR (I already had) and I'm pretty pleased with it. The only problem is there's no remote for the monitor speakers (that particular PVR doesn't have a changeable box volume unlike a FV PVR in another room), but I can add a soundbar with a remote at a later date if I feel like it.

Vince is your existing TV Full HD? Or 720p or an in-between resolution?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-11-2019, 00:49   #17
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Try to see the TV in person even if you buy it online. Most are OK with static images but fall apart with moving video. This years models are far better than last years or older.
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:35   #18
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
That is true but I was more responding to the point 4k is pointless on small screens.
I was referring specifically to TV screens not monitors.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:58   #19
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
I was referring specifically to TV screens not monitors.
Yes you were, the OP was advised maybe a monitor would be better and I stated what about monitors when you stated that 4k was pointless on small screens. While there is differences between a monitor and TV the overall resolution is still 4k so it's either pointless or not.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 14:30   #20
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Yes you were, the OP was advised maybe a monitor would be better and I stated what about monitors when you stated that 4k was pointless on small screens. While there is differences between a monitor and TV the overall resolution is still 4k so it's either pointless or not.
The difference is you sit very close to a monitor, whereas you generally sit further away with a tv. The point i'm trying to make is you're wasting your money buying a small sized 4K tv as you won't get the benefit of the 4k ness at normal viewing distances. I wasn't even thinking about pc monitors , my comment was about tv resolution/screen size and viewing distance.

So are you saying a 4k tv picture on a small 4k monitor would look noticeably better than a 1080p feed on the same monitor ?
Old 20-11-2019, 17:26   #21
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
The difference is you sit very close to a monitor, whereas you generally sit further away with a tv. The point i'm trying to make is you're wasting your money buying a small sized 4K tv as you won't get the benefit of the 4k ness at normal viewing distances. I wasn't even thinking about pc monitors , my comment was about tv resolution/screen size and viewing distance.

So are you saying a 4k tv picture on a small 4k monitor would look noticeably better than a 1080p feed on the same monitor ?
I know what you were saying. The OP stated he might want 4k but would need to be a small screen as he lives in a box room and the TV he has is right next to the computer. I assumed rightly or wrongly that the OP would be sitting close to the screen. People advised a monitor for 4k rather than a TV. You said 4k is pointless on a small screen. Yes you were talking about a TV but 4k is 4k be it on a monitor or TV. It isn't pointless if you are sat close enough.

Size alone isn't a factor in resolution. It's size in relation to viewing distance that matters. If you are sat close enough viewing 4k material then yes it will look better than 1080p. People need to get away from the myth that high resolutions need massive screens. My phone has a screen size of 6.8 inch and a resolution of 3040x1440 and it is HDR. It looks beautiful if viewing 1440p videos, very crisp. That's because it's close to my face.
Old 20-11-2019, 19:51   #22
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I know what you were saying. The OP stated he might want 4k but would need to be a small screen as he lives in a box room and the TV he has is right next to the computer. I assumed rightly or wrongly that the OP would be sitting close to the screen. People advised a monitor for 4k rather than a TV. You said 4k is pointless on a small screen. Yes you were talking about a TV but 4k is 4k be it on a monitor or TV. It isn't pointless if you are sat close enough.

Size alone isn't a factor in resolution. It's size in relation to viewing distance that matters. If you are sat close enough viewing 4k material then yes it will look better than 1080p. People need to get away from the myth that high resolutions need massive screens. My phone has a screen size of 6.8 inch and a resolution of 3040x1440 and it is HDR. It looks beautiful if viewing 1440p videos, very crisp. That's because it's close to my face.

I get your points to an extent but I don't think it's a myth that you need a big screen to appreciate 4K. You can get 55" 8K sets now and you would really be pushed to tell the difference 4k vs 8k unless you stand extremely close to the point of touching it, because 55 inch is too small to fully compliment 8K. (there are plenty of online videos demonstrating this).

I have a 3K phone, my wife has a similar model. same screen size with a lower resolution but you really cant tell the difference at those sizes. You mentioned your phone, I would suggest that the main reason it looks so good is the HDR, subjectively it makes a much bigger difference than just moving to 4K.
Apple do a 5K laptop screen, it's screen real estate madness, we don't have the visual resolution to see the difference.
Old 20-11-2019, 20:23   #23
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I get your points to an extent but I don't think it's a myth that you need a big screen to appreciate 4K. You can get 55" 8K sets now and you would really be pushed to tell the difference 4k vs 8k unless you stand extremely close to the point of touching it, because 55 inch is too small to fully compliment 8K. (there are plenty of online videos demonstrating this).

I have a 3K phone, my wife has a similar model. same screen size with a lower resolution but you really cant tell the difference at those sizes. You mentioned your phone, I would suggest that the main reason it looks so good is the HDR, subjectively it makes a much bigger difference than just moving to 4K.
Apple do a 5K laptop screen, it's screen real estate madness, we don't have the visual resolution to see the difference.
It is a myth. You might like a big screen but you don't need it. 4k as a resolution doesn't just suddenly get better because it's on a big screen. 4k is 4k, if viewed from the correct distance, it's going to look the same at 24" as it does at 80".

55" isn't too small if sat at the correct distance, that's the whole point of this debate.

No the reason it looked good was because of the resolution which is why I used the word crisp.

I don't want to go round in circles. Resolution can't just equal size. It's size in relation to viewing distance that matters. 4k is not pointless on small screens if you are sat close enough to benefit.
Old 20-11-2019, 20:50   #24
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
It is a myth. You might like a big screen but you don't need it. 4k as a resolution doesn't just suddenly get better because it's on a big screen. 4k is 4k, if viewed from the correct distance, it's going to look the same at 24" as it does at 80".

55" isn't too small if sat at the correct distance, that's the whole point of this debate.

No the reason it looked good was because of the resolution which is why I used the word crisp.

I don't want to go round in circles. Resolution can't just equal size. It's size in relation to viewing distance that matters. 4k is not pointless on small screens if you are sat close enough to benefit.
I'm rather confused by this - the optimum distance applies to SD, with HD TVs you can sit where you want and get a decent viewing experience -sitting a foot away you would still be able to see clearly.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 21:02   #25
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I'm rather confused by this - the optimum distance applies to SD, with HD TVs you can sit where you want and get a decent viewing experience -sitting a foot away you would still be able to see clearly.
It relates to all resolutions not just SD ones.
Old 20-11-2019, 21:14   #26
daveeb
cf.mega poster

I'm sure there's a good reason why you can't get small 4K sets yet. The only real benefit would be HDR unless you were literally nose right up to it.

I'm talking about TV screen size vs resolution here. These sites suggest small hi resolution TV sets aren't really worth it.

https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...s-1080p-vs-4k/

We're clearly not going to agree. You may well be correct about 4K monitors displaying small text etc, I haven't used one but I do have a 55 inch 4K oled tv that I sit about 4-5 feet away from and I'm glad it isn't any smaller as the 4K benefit would be reduced imo.
You're also underestimating the subjective benefit that HDR brings, far more than moving from 1080 to 4K.
Old 20-11-2019, 21:14   #27
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

This may help

https://stari.co/tv-monitor-viewing-distance-calculator
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 21:36   #28
Mythica
cf.geek

Quote:
I'm sure there's a good reason why you can't get small 4K sets yet. The only real benefit would be HDR unless you were literally nose right up to it.

I'm talking about TV screen size vs resolution here. These sites suggest small hi resolution TV sets aren't really worth it.

https://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-t...s-1080p-vs-4k/

We're clearly not going to agree. You may well be correct about 4K monitors displaying small text etc, I haven't used one but I do have a 55 inch 4K oled tv that I sit about 4-5 feet away from and I'm glad it isn't any smaller as the 4K benefit would be reduced imo.
You're also underestimating the subjective benefit that HDR brings, far more than moving from 1080 to 4K.
The good reason is not many people would buy them as the market is there because people want bigger sets. It's got nothing to do with 4k being pointless on small screens. Which is what we were talking about, the OP says they live in a box room and the TV is right next to the computer, so I'm guessing he sits close to the TV.

You need to forget the TV vs monitor debate. They are basically the same thing for what we are talking about. They are saying they aren't worth it because of how close you need to sit, which is what this thread is based on.

Well yes we wont agree, that's because you keep saying its pointless. It might be pointless to you as your viewing distance states it's pointless but it won't be pointless to others. I'm not sure why you keep mentioning monitors and small text. I was talking about viewing TV channels on a monitor. The 4k benefit would only be reduced because of your viewing distance, not because the screen is smaller. 4k is 4k. 4k doesn't magically get better because the screen is bigger.
How have I underestimated HDR? I mentioned it once saying my phone has it, but I mentioned the resolution was good as the picture was crisp. I know how good HDR is, but I wasnt talking about HDR.
Old 20-11-2019, 22:10   #29
daveeb
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Thanks Hugh. So if the OP got the smallest size screen they mentioned they'd need to sit 18-24" from the set to appreciate the 4k ness. I don't think you could watch tv with all the motion involved for long at that distance without a headache.