Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ntlworld.com Webmail Login Problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service > Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues

ntlworld.com Webmail Login Problem

Old 13-06-2014, 19:09   #1
dave6x
Inactive

Services: VM BBL 3Mb> 10Mb> 20Mb> 30Mb> 50Mb> 70Mb
dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute
ntlworld.com Webmail Login Problem

Since yesterday I've not been able to login to any of my ntlworld.com email accounts from my Windows 7 laptop.

Using the link I've been using for several years it takes me to the VirginMedia email Sign In page, I enter USERNAME@ntlworld.com and password click Sign In and it then takes me to the Google Gmail login page which of course does not work with ntlworld.com mail accounts.

I've tried this using several browsers including Firefox Aurora 31, Firefox 29, IE10 and Chrome with the same result. However the login to ntlworld.com webmail still works OK on my desktop PC running Vista Business and Firefox 29.

Anyone else with same problem? Any thoughts on what's going on?
dave6x is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2014, 21:27   #2
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: ntlworld.com Webmail Login Problem

I have 2 ntl email addresses, and one of them has that problem at work, if I go to mail.ntlworld.com, to get round it, log on at the virgin media page and go to email. thinking about it, it may be somehting that can be fixed by clearing temp internet files etc.
I've got a different login url bookmarked, I'll post that on Monday if you're still having probs
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2014, 21:57   #3
dave6x
Inactive

dave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond reputedave6x has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
I have 2 ntl email addresses, and one of them has that problem at work, if I go to mail.ntlworld.com, to get round it, log on at the virgin media page and go to email. thinking about it, it may be somehting that can be fixed by clearing temp internet files etc.
I've got a different login url bookmarked, I'll post that on Monday if you're still having probs
Thanks for the reply. I've already run CCleaner to clear out the temp files and that made no difference, however using mail.ntlworld.com seems to work so I'm replacing my link with that and see how it goes.

Trying to use the email login at the VM Homepage seems to give me a whole load of other problems requesting lots of info that seems superfluous for anything other than my root email address.

Just seems weird that it suddenly stopped working properly on my Win7 lappy yet is still working OK on another PC running Vista Business!
Old 14-06-2014, 16:33   #4
dave6x
Inactive

Just to update the thread, I'm now having the same issue on my desktop PC and have had to change the link to access my ntlworld.com webmail!
Old 17-06-2014, 13:28   #5
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age

mail.ntlworld.com is now working for me again on the browser/desktop combo it wasn't, yesterday it did say something about integrating with google, so I guess they've been playing.
admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2014, 13:36   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Yes - there are changes due to this www.virginmedia.com/googleaccountchanges

It wasn't supposed to cause an issue with webmail - only if you have a Google account with your Virgin Media email as the username, unfortunately it's been identified due to the changes webmail bookmarks don't work properly.

We are looking at what we can do, but at present I'd recommend either setting a manual bookmark up to https://www.virginmedia.com/email or by using the link on the top right of any of the virginmedia.com pages.
Old 17-06-2014, 13:57   #7
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
mail.ntlworld.com is now working for me again on the browser/desktop combo it wasn't, yesterday it did say something about integrating with google, so I guess they've been playing.
To be honest, @ntlworld.com email has be giving me problems for months. The webmail problem which now seems to have resolved itself was just another in a catalogue of frustrating problems.

The main issue I've had for a few months is smtp.ntlworld.com not working, meaning that I could not send mail from my mail client and had to use webmail to send mail. Doing a tracert smtp.ntlworld.com seemed to be looping & would time out. However that started working again a few days ago!!!

There are lots of frustrated @ntlworld.com user threads on the VM forums.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Yes - there are changes due to this www.virginmedia.com/googleaccountchanges

It wasn't supposed to cause an issue with webmail - only if you have a Google account with your Virgin Media email as the username, unfortunately it's been identified due to the changes webmail bookmarks don't work properly.

We are looking at what we can do, but at present I'd recommend either setting a manual bookmark up to https://www.virginmedia.com/email or by using the link on the top right of any of the virginmedia.com pages.
Unfortunately using the link you suggest takes me to a change/update your details page which is very frustrating and unnecessary for my 5 @ntlworld.com email accounts/sub-accounts. However my old link now appears to be working satisfactorily again!
Old 17-06-2014, 16:40   #8
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
Unfortunately using the link you suggest takes me to a change/update your details page which is very frustrating and unnecessary for my 5 @ntlworld.com email accounts/sub-accounts. However my old link now appears to be working satisfactorily again!
That'll be the security profile information, which is used to reset the password online if there is ever an issue with the login. Otherwise you have to call in.
Old 17-06-2014, 17:49   #9
dave6x
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
That'll be the security profile information, which is used to reset the password online if there is ever an issue with the login. Otherwise you have to call in.
Thanks for responding to this thread, and whilst what you say is true I don't really want to be presented with it every time I try to login to any of my @ntlworld.com accounts via webmail!

However now that my old link is working again that issue has disappeared....until next time!
Old 17-06-2014, 19:57   #10
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6x View Post
Thanks for responding to this thread, and whilst what you say is true I don't really want to be presented with it every time I try to login to any of my @ntlworld.com accounts via webmail!

However now that my old link is working again that issue has disappeared....until next time!
If you do the update then the profile update is asked for once per email account.

The login is then the same as normal.
Old 18-06-2014, 14:25   #11
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Remember that you can also use smtp.virginmedia.com with your ntlworld email address and password as you are a bona-fide customer.

I've changed over to this server when the others (smtp.ntlworld.com and smtp.virgin.net) became unrealiable. You can always revert if the virginmedia one gives trouble.

You can also use the Virgin smtp servers if you are a Vodafone customer and tether your phone or use a 3G dongle. Handy if you're away from the BB. I've also found they're often accessable from Wi-Fi hotspots as well depending upon who's providing the network entry point.

HTH