Default Style Register
Cable Forum
Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues>ntlworld.com Webmail Login Problem
dave6x 19:09 13-06-2014
Since yesterday I've not been able to login to any of my ntlworld.com email accounts from my Windows 7 laptop.

Using the link I've been using for several years it takes me to the VirginMedia email Sign In page, I enter USERNAME@ntlworld.com and password click Sign In and it then takes me to the Google Gmail login page which of course does not work with ntlworld.com mail accounts.

I've tried this using several browsers including Firefox Aurora 31, Firefox 29, IE10 and Chrome with the same result. However the login to ntlworld.com webmail still works OK on my desktop PC running Vista Business and Firefox 29.

Anyone else with same problem? Any thoughts on what's going on?
Reply
Advertisement
admars 21:27 13-06-2014
I have 2 ntl email addresses, and one of them has that problem at work, if I go to mail.ntlworld.com, to get round it, log on at the virgin media page and go to email. thinking about it, it may be somehting that can be fixed by clearing temp internet files etc.
I've got a different login url bookmarked, I'll post that on Monday if you're still having probs
Reply
dave6x 21:57 13-06-2014
Originally Posted by admars:
I have 2 ntl email addresses, and one of them has that problem at work, if I go to mail.ntlworld.com, to get round it, log on at the virgin media page and go to email. thinking about it, it may be somehting that can be fixed by clearing temp internet files etc.
I've got a different login url bookmarked, I'll post that on Monday if you're still having probs
Thanks for the reply. I've already run CCleaner to clear out the temp files and that made no difference, however using mail.ntlworld.com seems to work so I'm replacing my link with that and see how it goes.

Trying to use the email login at the VM Homepage seems to give me a whole load of other problems requesting lots of info that seems superfluous for anything other than my root email address.

Just seems weird that it suddenly stopped working properly on my Win7 lappy yet is still working OK on another PC running Vista Business!
Reply
dave6x 16:33 14-06-2014
Just to update the thread, I'm now having the same issue on my desktop PC and have had to change the link to access my ntlworld.com webmail!
Reply
admars 13:28 17-06-2014
mail.ntlworld.com is now working for me again on the browser/desktop combo it wasn't, yesterday it did say something about integrating with google, so I guess they've been playing.
Reply
BenMcr 13:36 17-06-2014
Yes - there are changes due to this www.virginmedia.com/googleaccountchanges

It wasn't supposed to cause an issue with webmail - only if you have a Google account with your Virgin Media email as the username, unfortunately it's been identified due to the changes webmail bookmarks don't work properly.

We are looking at what we can do, but at present I'd recommend either setting a manual bookmark up to https://www.virginmedia.com/email or by using the link on the top right of any of the virginmedia.com pages.
Reply
dave6x 13:57 17-06-2014
Originally Posted by admars:
mail.ntlworld.com is now working for me again on the browser/desktop combo it wasn't, yesterday it did say something about integrating with google, so I guess they've been playing.
To be honest, @ntlworld.com email has be giving me problems for months. The webmail problem which now seems to have resolved itself was just another in a catalogue of frustrating problems.

The main issue I've had for a few months is smtp.ntlworld.com not working, meaning that I could not send mail from my mail client and had to use webmail to send mail. Doing a tracert smtp.ntlworld.com seemed to be looping & would time out. However that started working again a few days ago!!!

There are lots of frustrated @ntlworld.com user threads on the VM forums.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

Originally Posted by BenMcr:
Yes - there are changes due to this www.virginmedia.com/googleaccountchanges

It wasn't supposed to cause an issue with webmail - only if you have a Google account with your Virgin Media email as the username, unfortunately it's been identified due to the changes webmail bookmarks don't work properly.

We are looking at what we can do, but at present I'd recommend either setting a manual bookmark up to https://www.virginmedia.com/email or by using the link on the top right of any of the virginmedia.com pages.
Unfortunately using the link you suggest takes me to a change/update your details page which is very frustrating and unnecessary for my 5 @ntlworld.com email accounts/sub-accounts. However my old link now appears to be working satisfactorily again!
Reply
BenMcr 16:40 17-06-2014
Originally Posted by dave6x:
Unfortunately using the link you suggest takes me to a change/update your details page which is very frustrating and unnecessary for my 5 @ntlworld.com email accounts/sub-accounts. However my old link now appears to be working satisfactorily again!
That'll be the security profile information, which is used to reset the password online if there is ever an issue with the login. Otherwise you have to call in.
Reply
dave6x 17:49 17-06-2014
Originally Posted by BenMcr:
That'll be the security profile information, which is used to reset the password online if there is ever an issue with the login. Otherwise you have to call in.
Thanks for responding to this thread, and whilst what you say is true I don't really want to be presented with it every time I try to login to any of my @ntlworld.com accounts via webmail!

However now that my old link is working again that issue has disappeared....until next time!
Reply
BenMcr 19:57 17-06-2014
Originally Posted by dave6x:
Thanks for responding to this thread, and whilst what you say is true I don't really want to be presented with it every time I try to login to any of my @ntlworld.com accounts via webmail!

However now that my old link is working again that issue has disappeared....until next time!
If you do the update then the profile update is asked for once per email account.

The login is then the same as normal.
Reply
heero_yuy 14:25 18-06-2014
Remember that you can also use smtp.virginmedia.com with your ntlworld email address and password as you are a bona-fide customer.

I've changed over to this server when the others (smtp.ntlworld.com and smtp.virgin.net) became unrealiable. You can always revert if the virginmedia one gives trouble.

You can also use the Virgin smtp servers if you are a Vodafone customer and tether your phone or use a 3G dongle. Handy if you're away from the BB. I've also found they're often accessable from Wi-Fi hotspots as well depending upon who's providing the network entry point.

HTH
Reply
Reply Up