Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Login

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Login

Old 07-04-2012, 03:22   #31
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
Re: Login

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Yes you can, you can change the channel it used to avoid interference.
Look at the attachment, that is Inssider running, not logging my own network, only others, theres interference on every channel, and thats only broadcasting wireless networks, that doesnt include:

- wireless phones
- bluetooth devices
- car alarms
- microwave ovens
- baby monitors
- FM video transmitters

as well as 101 other things which use the 2.4ghz spectrum

So with all this going on around me, the Superhub crashed/rebooted due to the memory leak in the firmware. It used to reboot at least 5 times a day in router mode, even though the 4 other routers I used managed to work fine

As I said, only certain conditions set it off
Attached Images
File Type: png wireless.png (23.5 KB, 29 views)
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-04-2012, 11:44   #32
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Look at the attachment, that is Inssider running, not logging my own network, only others, theres interference on every channel, and thats only broadcasting wireless networks, that doesnt include:

- wireless phones
- bluetooth devices
- car alarms
- microwave ovens
- baby monitors
- FM video transmitters

as well as 101 other things which use the 2.4ghz spectrum

So with all this going on around me, the Superhub crashed/rebooted due to the memory leak in the firmware. It used to reboot at least 5 times a day in router mode, even though the 4 other routers I used managed to work fine

As I said, only certain conditions set it off
In my house I have 6 cordless phones, and 5 mobiles with bluetooth. In fact the SH is within 18" of 2 cordless phones, 2 monitors, and my PC (which also has bluetooth. So why don't I get a problem.

You can switch the SH to 5ghz.

And what frequency do other routers run on?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 15:10   #33
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
In my house I have 6 cordless phones, and 5 mobiles with bluetooth. In fact the SH is within 18" of 2 cordless phones, 2 monitors, and my PC (which also has bluetooth. So why don't I get a problem.

I tried everything to get the superhub to work because desktop space is short and I find the modem/router combination attractive but only if it works and only if it was more flexible like allowing the dns servers and/or the gatewateway address to be changed for example.

Anyway in the course of my endeavours to stabilise the superhub I did try it at 5ghz/300mbps. I found this mode to offer the best performance of all BUT in spite of InSSider telling me I was the only one running 5gig locally my superhub STILL rebooted itself 5 to 10 times a day.

I have no more idea of why you don't get a problem than I have as to why I did get a problem, their are just too many factors involved.

As an example lets take my Daughter. She has BT and of course uses the HH3. She tells me she is quite happy with it. She has a PC wired to it and connects wirelessly with an iPOD touch, an iPAD, 2 x smartphones, a laptop and an internet radio BUT she only shares the internet connection through the HH3 and has no more idea of networking than I have of flying a Space Shuttle. She also lives in a small village which may also be a factor.
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 15:41   #34
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
I tried everything to get the superhub to work because desktop space is short and I find the modem/router combination attractive but only if it works and only if it was more flexible like allowing the dns servers and/or the gatewateway address to be changed for example.

Anyway in the course of my endeavours to stabilise the superhub I did try it at 5ghz/300mbps. I found this mode to offer the best performance of all BUT in spite of InSSider telling me I was the only one running 5gig locally my superhub STILL rebooted itself 5 to 10 times a day.

I have no more idea of why you don't get a problem than I have as to why I did get a problem, their are just too many factors involved.

As an example lets take my Daughter. She has BT and of course uses the HH3. She tells me she is quite happy with it. She has a PC wired to it and connects wirelessly with an iPOD touch, an iPAD, 2 x smartphones, a laptop and an internet radio BUT she only shares the internet connection through the HH3 and has no more idea of networking than I have of flying a Space Shuttle. She also lives in a small village which may also be a factor.
Have you tried changing the channel it operates on?

I was talking to someone at VM, who said that he uses his SH in modem mode also. He said that the modem is good, and the router is fine for most people. But for people like himself (he does game testing) who demand a lot more than average, then the router isn't up to the job.

Now I run 2 laptops, 2 PS3's, and 4 phones through the wifi, and my PC is wired. This sounds like more than your daughter uses. So I'm wondering where the limit is for the SH.

Do you live near anything that gives out strong radio signals. And have you reported the problem to VM?
Old 07-04-2012, 17:38   #35
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Here you go, this is for you:

Spoiler: 

Quote:
Then none of the mobile phones or the wii will connect

Quote:
Look at the attachment I gave you the info
Old 07-04-2012, 17:48   #36
philwhite100
This tastes nice

Services: TiVo V6 - 500mb -
philwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nicephilwhite100 is just really nice
Send a message via ICQ to philwhite100

Quote:
I got my first superhub when I was on 50mb, and the engineer said that it wouldn't need to be changed to upgrade to 100mb. Then when I did upgrade they insisted on replacing the SH. When I asked why he said that there were problems with some of the earlier ones.

So I presume that people who are having problems are using the earlier models.
Can you please log in to your Superhub and tell us all what hardware version it is please, mine is v2.00
Old 07-04-2012, 17:53   #37
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
Can you please log in to your Superhub and tell us all what hardware version it is please, mine is v2.00
They are all hardware revision 2 as no other version has ever been released up to now and as for different revision numbers on the actual body of the Superhub's that has been proved to be nothing as well as we have had photo's of 2 Superhub's on here with a mixture of REV 01, REV 02 and REV 03 parts.

We are still awaiting a new version but as yet the is no new one on the horizon.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 18:05   #38
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by philwhite100 View Post
Mine is the same.
Old 07-04-2012, 20:24   #39
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Have you tried changing the channel it operates on?
Of course I have. Did you not read my post where I mention 5ghz at 300mbps. Don't you realise that the channels automatically change when you do that? I begin to wonder if you have any idea at all about this subject?

Quote:
I was talking to someone at VM, who said that he uses his SH in modem mode also. He said that the modem is good, and the router is fine for most people. But for people like himself (he does game testing) who demand a lot more than average, then the router isn't up to the job.
So what did you expect a VM mouthpiece to say? Surely you didn't expect a disclosure to the effect that he uses it in modem mode because the router is not up to the job.

Quote:
Now I run 2 laptops, 2 PS3's, and 4 phones through the wifi, and my PC is wired. This sounds like more than your daughter uses. So I'm wondering where the limit is for the SH.
Oh she's got wii, ps2 and xbox I'm just not sure if she goes online with them so I didn't mention them.

So do you network or just connection share like she does?

Quote:
Do you live near anything that gives out strong radio signals.
You really are desparate to prove the superhub is a solid device aren't you. I really do not know or care about strong radio signals nearby as NO OTHER ROUTER I have used was ever affected. The rt n16 I am using at the moment has never fallen over, dropped the wireless or rebooted itself either on it's out of the box firmware or tomato firmware.

Quote:
And have you reported the problem to VM?
You jest, surely

As if I haven't got enough junk around without starting a superhub collection.
Old 07-04-2012, 21:12   #40
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Of course I have. Did you not read my post where I mention 5ghz at 300mbps. Don't you realise that the channels automatically change when you do that? I begin to wonder if you have any idea at all about this subject?

So what did you expect a VM mouthpiece to say? Surely you didn't expect a disclosure to the effect that he uses it in modem mode because the router is not up to the job.

Oh she's got wii, ps2 and xbox I'm just not sure if she goes online with them so I didn't mention them.

So do you network or just connection share like she does?

You really are desparate to prove the superhub is a solid device aren't you. I really do not know or care about strong radio signals nearby as NO OTHER ROUTER I have used was ever affected. The rt n16 I am using at the moment has never fallen over, dropped the wireless or rebooted itself either on it's out of the box firmware or tomato firmware.

You jest, surely

As if I haven't got enough junk around without starting a superhub collection.
I'm not going to bother with you any more, as you don't read my posts properly, and you twist what I say. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm trying to find out why some people have no problems at all, yet others seem to have loads of problems. I was trying to help. So there is no need to be rude.

By the way, I wasn't talking about the frequency or the speed. I was talking about the channel.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:32   #41
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I'm not going to bother with you any more, as you don't read my posts properly, and you twist what I say. I'm not trying to prove anything, I'm trying to find out why some people have no problems at all, yet others seem to have loads of problems. I was trying to help. So there is no need to be rude.

By the way, I wasn't talking about the frequency or the speed. I was talking about the channel.
you havent really got a clue what your on about, you criticise other peoples correct posts despite yours being mostly garbage

and what are you talking about, you say your not talking about the frequency, but about the channel, despite channel being frequency

If you think the superhub is perfect and working then you are wrong, by a long margin. There are many many bugs
Old 08-04-2012, 13:10   #42
Mick Fisher
Inactive

You really are a piece of work ain't you Tim.

[Mod Edit - inappropriate comment removed].

You should just make a mental note to not get involved in discussions on subjects you obviously know nothing about.

Oh by the way, welcome to my ignore list.
Old 08-04-2012, 20:28   #43
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
you havent really got a clue what your on about, you criticise other peoples correct posts despite yours being mostly garbage

and what are you talking about, you say your not talking about the frequency, but about the channel, despite channel being frequency

If you think the superhub is perfect and working then you are wrong, by a long margin. There are many many bugs
I will repeat yet again...my SH works absolutely fine. And all I am doing is trying to work out why some peoples don't work properly.

If it didn't work for anyone, then I would agree that it is completely useless, but that isn't the case. If yours doesn't work properly, then I should think that you have rights under SOGA. So you need to keep on at VM until they sort it.

But it seems that some people just can't accept that for most people it works fine, so there must be a problem with just some of them.
Old 08-04-2012, 20:36   #44
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Can I remind members that it is against Site T&Cs to discuss issuing / receiving reps in the open forum.

Link

Quote:
Members are not permitted to discuss reps received or given in threads, reputation is a private matter, not for public discussion.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 20:46   #45
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I will repeat yet again...my SH works absolutely fine. And all I am doing is trying to work out why some peoples don't work properly.
If yours works fine then get VM to take a copy of the firmware and use the same one on everyones superhub...... oh wait.... you do have the same bug ridden firmware as everyone else. If the superhub was bug free then why would VM invest so much time and money into releasing updates for it

If you really were trying to find out why it doesnt work properly, you could either listen to what people say on here, take in their opinions, not be so sarcastic and generally unpleasent, and use the info. Or conduct your own testing, and do us all a favour and not bother posting on here

Quote:
If it didn't work for anyone, then I would agree that it is completely useless, but that isn't the case. If yours doesn't work properly, then I should think that you have rights under SOGA. So you need to keep on at VM until they sort it.
Ill repeat, every superhub has the same bug ridden firmware, whether you use the buggy functions or not is irrelevant, the bugs still exist. And I do keep on at VM, mostly on the forums

Quote:
But it seems that some people just can't accept that for most people it works fine, so there must be a problem with just some of them.
where do you get this data from? Have you done a survey of every VM customer with a superhub? with 100% response rate? no, no-one has. And as they are exactly the same hardware and firmware on every device the firmware bugs are going to be there on every device, as I mentioned earlier, most of them are only set off in certain conditions