Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 'Superhub' & DD-WRT D-Link 615

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

'Superhub' & DD-WRT D-Link 615

Old 07-06-2011, 10:19   #1
blue sabre
Inactive

blue sabre is an unknown quantity at this point
'Superhub' & DD-WRT D-Link 615

Hi all. I have followed this guide and now have pretty much everything running through my D-Link. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a VPN in the DD-WRT settings, or does the fact ti is still connected to the superhub ruin any chance of that happening?
blue sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2011, 13:31   #2
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them
Re: 'Superhub' & DD-WRT D-Link 615

Quick question, the article uses the 2nd router as DMZ but 2nd router is just used as a bridge/switch so there is no WAN connection being used. This may make things like port forwarding not work properly as incoming traffic is not hitting the WAN side of the 2nd router?
May also lose traffic stats?

Would it be better to set it up so WAN port of 2nd router is connected to SuperHub? (and they have their own private subnet)? Downside is the ports on the SuperHub cant join your main network?
lordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 13:48   #3
blue sabre
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy View Post
Quick question, the article uses the 2nd router as DMZ but 2nd router is just used as a bridge/switch so there is no WAN connection being used. This may make things like port forwarding not work properly as incoming traffic is not hitting the WAN side of the 2nd router?
May also lose traffic stats?

Would it be better to set it up so WAN port of 2nd router is connected to SuperHub? (and they have their own private subnet)? Downside is the ports on the SuperHub cant join your main network?
I set it slightly differently to that - changed the WAN connection to 'static IP' it always gets 192.168.0.2 from superhub. Kept the dhcp enabled on super hub - but for 2 connections, the d-link and a laptop so I can login to it easily if needed - used range 192.168.0.2-3 so these wont conflict with dhcp from router. (As far as I can tell)
Old 07-06-2011, 14:10   #4
lordy
Inactive

lordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about themlordy has a spectacular aura about them

Cheers, just did the same - set WAN to static, but kept DHCP off on superhub (poor little thing).

I'm sure people will have trouble with port forwarding if they follow the original guide with everything bridged,
as not all routers can set up port forwarding from their lan side (at least not via the GUI), that will be iptables and a large coffee.
Old 07-06-2011, 14:17   #5
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

if using DMZ port forwarding will work but the 2nd router is the one doing the forwarding.

in my view port forwarding is more reliable using dmz+ 2nd router than just using the superhub. However certian things wont work like WOL.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 14:26   #6
blue sabre
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
if using DMZ port forwarding will work but the 2nd router is the one doing the forwarding.

in my view port forwarding is more reliable using dmz+ 2nd router than just using the superhub. However certian things wont work like WOL.
The Dlink is in DMZ, and then ethernet straight from lan on superhub to wan on dlink.
Portforwarding seems to be fine so far - xbox live works fine, no issues with p2p etc.

I'd like to get a VPN set up though, the network we use at work routes via Germany so you are assigned a German IP - no a lot of good for watching F1 on iPlayer to make a long day go that little bit quicker. Any ideas if this will work or will the connection hit the super hub and be told politely where to go.
Old 07-06-2011, 14:29   #7
lordy
Inactive

Hi Chrysalis, I get that but the original article suggested disabling the WAN side of the second router altogether (even suggested re-configuring that port as an extra LAN port).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most router guis set up port forwarding from the WAN to the LAN ? and not from the router LAN to LAN ? So some routers might misbehave in the suggested LAN only config?

Anyway, I set up the DMZ to be the WAN side of 2nd router so it will work for sure.

I must say, already browsing feels much snappier, and ping times to bbc look a bit quicker too, but there was a fault in the area - so might be a coincidence.

PS Going to set up a HGV2700 for a mate tonight
Old 07-06-2011, 14:57   #8
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis View Post
However certian things wont work like WOL.
WoL wasn't working for me on the standard Superhub anyway and it won't take 255 in port forwarding. All I could do was set it up for a single device on a fixed IP which is fortunately all I need.

I haven't tried it using an additional router yet as I've worked round most of the problems I've had with it other than WiFi which I just put up with as I rarely use it - are you saying that the magic packet isn't making it through the superhub DMZ?
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 15:20   #9
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordy View Post
Hi Chrysalis, I get that but the original article suggested disabling the WAN side of the second router altogether (even suggested re-configuring that port as an extra LAN port).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most router guis set up port forwarding from the WAN to the LAN ? and not from the router LAN to LAN ? So some routers might misbehave in the suggested LAN only config?

Anyway, I set up the DMZ to be the WAN side of 2nd router so it will work for sure.

I must say, already browsing feels much snappier, and ping times to bbc look a bit quicker too, but there was a fault in the area - so might be a coincidence.

PS Going to set up a HGV2700 for a mate tonight
yeah that article is a bit weird.

follow this instead.

http://www.unofficialguidetolive.co....edia-super-hub
Old 07-06-2011, 15:59   #10
lordy
Inactive

Yes that ones better. That was my whole point "the article is a bit weird". I dont have too much trouble setting up myself - else I should be collecting my P45 Though personally I disabled DHCP on the ""superhub"" too, and used static ip for DMZ, just to try to get the hub doing as little as possible. It might have been overkill though, especially if I have to connect to it directly in a hurry!
Old 07-06-2011, 16:03   #11
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

the way I see it if you disable wan on the on the dir615 after routing to it using dmz on the superhub then you wont be able to port forward anything as the dir615 will see everything as lan with no internet.
Old 07-06-2011, 16:21   #12
lordy
Inactive

Yes, pretty much what I tried to say in post #4 but I probably wasn't clear enough! And also hedging my bets in case I overlooked something!

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 16:18 ----------

@blue_sabre - re your VPN problem, I'm just guessing but one of the firewall rules disabled was to allow ipsec traffic. Given the odd setup described in the article you might want to try re-enabling it to see if VPN works ??