Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Phone engaged due to caller not hanging up

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Phone engaged due to caller not hanging up

Old 01-12-2007, 21:03   #1
oconoc
Inactive

oconoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Phone engaged due to caller not hanging up

Someone rang my house phone and apologised as they had got a wrong number. Since then I have not got a dialing tone. When I ring my home phone number it is engaged. How to I get my phone line back?
oconoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2007, 08:24   #2
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age
Re: Phone engaged due to caller not hanging up

have you tried unplugging your phone from the master socket for 15 minutes? that sometimes works
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:02   #3
oconoc
Inactive

oconoc is an unknown quantity at this point

We had unplugged for a few seconds, did not work. Since tried longer and everything reset. Thanks
oconoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 23:14   #4
garethpaul
Inactive

garethpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

This has happened to me many times, and I have found that by picking up the handset and pressing the 'R' or recall (not last number redial) button grabs you a dial tone.
garethpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:42   #5
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

That probably depended on the type of phone you had - Usually when someone rings the "receiver" on a landline and then doesn't hang up - The line will stay connected to the "receiver" even though he or she will have hanged up their phone. It normally stays connected in this way for up to twenty minutes, so long as the receiver doesn't keep picking up the phone to check the line.

It is annoying, if only land lines worked like Mobiles, where anyone can terminate the call without this problem.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote