Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Keeping my current number and moving to Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Fixed Phone Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Keeping my current number and moving to Virgin

Old 27-11-2007, 19:16   #1
dmarook
Inactive

dmarook is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Keeping my current number and moving to Virgin

Hello All,

I will be moving house in the next few weeks and after a lot of thought have decided to get the virgin BB and Phone combo package. My present phone provider is BT and prior to moving to BT I used to be with NTL about 3 years back. When ordering the package I mentioned to the sells rep that I wanted to keep my present number. What he told me is they would connect me with a different number and on the day of connection I should call up the customer service and tell them to change my number to my current number.

Can it be done like that? How long would the change over take?

I was a bit doubtful about this and called back the customer service to double check, and I must say I was very surprised with the responses. After I had explained my concerns, even before I have given them my present phone number, I was told that I would not be able to keep my present number as it has been allocated to someone else. I then explained that that's impossible as I have not yet told BT that I am leaving them, so there can be no reason for BT to randomly give away my number. Then the story changed and I was advised to tell BT to 'Port' my number to Virgin about 10 days before my move and then I may have a chance of retaining my number.

I am not in any long term contract with BT. Can I just call and cancel? I don't want to be paying 2 phone companies. My concern is as soon as I cancel with BT (specially 10 days prior to getting my Virgin connection) my number probably will be released and may end up with another customer, and I will be left with a new number which I am trying to avoid.

Anyone has any idea as to what is the best way for me to deal with this situation? Thanks in advance.

DM
dmarook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-11-2007, 00:27   #2
wabbit
Inactive

wabbit is on a distinguished roadwabbit is on a distinguished road
Re: Keeping my current number and moving to Virgin

So your number is a virgin number originally?

First things first, DONT cancel with BT as it will prevent the transfer from occuring. As long as you don't cancel with BT, it should be fine and the numebr shouldn't go anywhere. Once the transfer completes, BT should send you a final bill as they will be notified by VM. Secondly, when you ring up to port your number, PLEASE tell them your old postcode. BT will not release the number if postcodes don't match.

I'm unsure why they didnt put your number onto the order. It just seems like the sales person was lazy or something! If the number is a VM number [either ex-telewest or ex-ntl] there shouldnt really be a problem to put the number on the order. There are only a few situations where VM cannot transfer the number from BT. I'd ring back and see what they say as to why you cant have the number transferred on install date.

At the end, it depends on when you want the transfer to go ahead. If the install is close to when your moving out of your old property, you may want it when you move out [so you will need to ring up and specify the date of the port after installation]. It should be convenience for you not VM

Hope it helps
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 12:01   #3
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by apskunky View Post
I'm unsure why they didnt put your number onto the order. It just seems like the sales person was lazy or something! If the number is a VM number [either ex-telewest or ex-ntl] there shouldnt really be a problem to put the number on the order. There are only a few situations where VM cannot transfer the number from BT. I'd ring back and see what they say as to why you cant have the number transferred on install date.
it can be added to the order, but there have been instances before where the install hasnt gone ahead on the scheduled date, for whatever reason, and because the number was due to port that day the number was lost. The customer then had to re-sign up with BT for a minimm of 3 months to port the number across, which lead to a very unhappy customer.

Doing it the way the sales agent has, does mean about 10 days with a temporary number but it does guarantee that your not going to lose the number, provided the bt isnt cancelled as you have adivsed.
lostandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 18:52   #4
dmarook
Inactive

dmarook is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you apskunky & lostandconfused. I will hang on to BT until I move and get everything installed and then go for this changeover. Thanks for all the advice.

DM
dmarook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:03   #5
wabbit
Inactive

Just to clarify...If the number was included in the install order, and couldn't complete the install for whatever reason the tech shouldnt call for the number to be ported. The port order would just expire and will still be live with BT as it were. Then its just a matter of resending an order. If the tech did call for the number, VM would have it and it would have to be restored back to BT without entering into a contract.
Old 02-12-2007, 18:52   #6
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

The problem putting a porting request on a install order means the install cant go ahead until 10 days after the order is loaded on the system (due to porting rules).

Doing it the other way round means you have working services as quickly as possible the the number is brought over.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 23:02   #7
wabbit
Inactive

The other problem is that the customer may well be happy having working services but not if the customer wants to transfer the number. Looking at it now, It could be many weeks later for the number to be transferred and being charged by 2 companies.

The problem mentioned above is only an issue if the customer has an installation within 10 days of the initial order. If a potential customer rings for an install to occur say 2 weeks later, it is possible. Transfer can occur on the same date without being billed by 2 companies.

This will be my last post here. I just don't want readers to think that to transfer the number on a separate date is the only option. Readers must be aware that following the separate transfer date route may well lead to the customer having to wait weeks [depending].