Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

*ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)
Closed Thread

Old 18-08-2005, 10:28   #421
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
Re: *ALL* ntl Cap Discussion Here Please. (Part 2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlashman
Just got a warning letter from NTL for going way over my download cap. They say unless I get it to under 30gb during september they'll either cut me off or reduce my service while "paying the same or less" than I am currently!

Has anyone got one of these before? Have they been cut off?
I've never seen one - I don't suppose there's any chance of you scanning it in (removing your address of course) and posting it?

I haven't heard of anyone being cut off yet.
Advertisement
Old 18-08-2005, 10:29   #422
Phlashman
Inactive

Phlashman is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah I'll take a picture. just one sec.
Old 18-08-2005, 10:30   #423
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

Quote:
yeah I'll take a picture. just one sec.
Oh and I forgot to say Welcome to the site.

Old 18-08-2005, 10:40   #424
Phlashman
Inactive

http://pictures.britxbox.co.uk/artic.../908043778.jpg

Ok I know 166gb sound excessive and I admit I do my fair share of P2P but I'd say that and normal usage such as game demos, videos etc etc only accounts for 70gb max. The rest is because I run several big websites ( britxbox.co.uk being one) and I take back up's twice week, because I've learnt that lesson the hard way. The way for me to cut down on that downloading is to go down to london where the servers are and install a couple of DVD burners on my servers and twice a week go down and get a new back-up.

I'll cut down but considering they are upping it to 10mb 75gb soon I feel they should only of asked me to cut down to 75gb.
Old 18-08-2005, 10:45   #425
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

fraid that won't cut it with NTL.. you are running a business on a home connection not the NTL business offering.. think that is against the T+C anyway

on another note does anyone know if upload is part of the usage or is it just download ?

think only once have i gone over 30GB a month but that was with upload as well

could download more but there's only so much stuff you can listen to or demos you can play in a month
Old 18-08-2005, 10:47   #426
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Quote:
http://pictures.britxbox.co.uk/artic.../908043778.jpg

Ok I know 166gb sound excessive and I admit I do my fair share of P2P but I'd say that and normal usage such as game demos, videos etc etc only accounts for 70gb max. The rest is because I run several big websites ( britxbox.co.uk being one) and I take back up's twice week, because I've learnt that lesson the hard way. The way for me to cut down on that downloading is to go down to london where the servers are and install a couple of DVD burners on my servers and twice a week go down and get a new back-up.

I'll cut down but considering they are upping it to 10mb 75gb soon I feel they should only of asked me to cut down to 75gb.
I think you should cut down for now (to avoid disconnection).

Other than that, hang around and see what the others think. There are some ntl staff on here who can advise you better.

Dilli
Old 18-08-2005, 10:52   #427
Phlashman
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
fraid that won't cut it with NTL.. you are running a business on a home connection not the NTL business offering.. think that is against the T+C anyway.
I'm not. I work from home and use my connection equally for work and normal home use (gaming, shopping etc etc)

I'm obviously going to cut down. but it would of been nice if NTL offered me some options such as a Unlimited line at my present speed. I'd gladly pay extra.
Old 18-08-2005, 10:52   #428
Doofy
Inactive

Doofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation eraDoofy has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
fraid that won't cut it with NTL.. you are running a business on a home connection not the NTL business offering.. think that is against the T+C anyway

on another note does anyone know if upload is part of the usage or is it just download ?

think only once have i gone over 30GB a month but that was with upload as well

could download more but there's only so much stuff you can listen to or demos you can play in a month
As far as i am aware upload is counted as well as downloads towards the usage allowance but i could be wrong...
Old 18-08-2005, 11:49   #429
theNomad
Inactive

Services: NTL-Full TV/512k UNLIMITED
theNomad is an unknown quantity at this point

I just got the same letter as Phlashman ,Ive been an ntl user for around 4 years and like most been really happy with it once or twice lost connection in four years is awesome.Seems bad that they changed the contract that I originaly signed for an unlimited service to the current 30gb per month thing they have now (its a bit like my 3 pints a day from my milkman being cut to just 1 for the same price).All this just one month into 'em finally upping my service to 2mb's from 750k service.

I guess we all have reasons we use more than 30gbs me Ive four kids so six of us use the connection.As I see it the minute they do hard cap or in extreme cases disconnect you then its time to change to another ISP I'd be a bit ****ed as ive just forked out £50 for premiership plus but no way if this goes further I'd stick with my current £90pm tv-net-phone package.I hope this letter is like the ones they sent a year or so ago and doesnt go any further.If not like everyone else its sky digital and probably bulldog with its free landline calls and unlimited connection.And surely what the hells the point of 10mb's if all you can use your bloody connection for is opening webpages.
Old 18-08-2005, 11:54   #430
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNomad
Seems bad that they changed the contract that I originaly signed for an unlimited service to the current 30gb per month thing they have now (its a bit like my 3 pints a day from my milkman being cut to just 1 for the same price).All this just one month into 'em finally upping my service to 2mb's from 750k service.
The upgrade you received wasn't a secret though was it? You would have had the opportunity to review the terms of the upgrade when you went online and asked for your package to be upgraded, or the terms would have been available on NTL's site, or you would have receieved a communications from them stating the new terms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theNomad
If not like everyone else its sky digital and probably bulldog

Before you go switching to Bulldog you might want to have a quick read HERE and then maybe do a couple of searches of Google - wouldn't want you leaping out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Old 18-08-2005, 12:00   #431
Pudders
Inactive

Pudders is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

My first post up on this forum and I too got a letter today to cut back.

Like its been said, we all have our reason for useage but what I can't understand is that why they don't compete with Bulldog as one of their main threats at the moment and also why the hell are they puttin up 10meg connections when you'll probably only be able to use it between 3am and 6am on sundays and only allowed to look at sites about paintdrying!!!

I have been with NTL for as long as I can remeber but moved accross to Sky when they introduced cack Digital TV and now like above, I may move to Bulldog with the better option of package.

There must be NTL peeps on this forum... are these letters going to enforce the NTL Law or is this just scare mungering to keep the traffic down via Bangalore!!??

For info though... I did ring NTL business and they informed me that I could have a 1.5meg connection with unlimited downloads a month for 34.99 ......... with a £90 sting for the new modem!! apparently they gove a different modem to the one you already have as you have a dedicated businewss link.

O well... We'll see what they got to say in October as I'm not changing my habits.

Cheers.. Pud
Old 18-08-2005, 12:04   #432
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudders
Hi all,
Hi, and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudders
what I can't understand is that why they don't compete with Bulldog
Bulldog aren't any competition to NTL as far as I'm concerned. I dare-say that NTL could offer everybody all of the bandwidth that they want with no caps - if they felt that they could sustain the service. It's been said before but I'll say it again, NTL cap the service in order to try to ensure that one person's usage doesn't interfere with anybody else's - it's also a way of ensuring that they can keep prices competitive without sacrificing any other areas of the service.

If you want to see just how good Bulldog are can I suggest that you have a look at THIS SITE and then do some searching on Google.
Old 18-08-2005, 12:09   #433
sherer
Inactive

sherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of societysherer is a pillar of society

as an average downloader it's good news that the people who go over the quota are getting letters

if everyone came down to reasonable levels we would all get a better service
Old 18-08-2005, 12:15   #434
ian@huth
Inactive

Services: VM 10Mb, TU, 1xSky HD, 2xSky+ (HD,all packs, sports & movies) 2xDVD PVR's, Freesat Freeview & other
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze
ian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronzeian@huth is cast in bronze

Bulldog only have 65,000 BB customers with a waiting list of 20,000. If they are having serious problems with that small customer base how well do you think they will cope in the future? The customers that Bulldog (and similar ISP's) will attract are those that want to escape the effects of capping. Those who are not affected by the caps (98% of NTL customers) will welcome speed upgrades and will have no desire to move to other ISP's. That means that Bulldog will have to expand its infrastructure and customer service operations quite considerably to cope with new very high usage customers. Where will the money come from for all this?
Old 18-08-2005, 12:27   #435
smashie
Inactive

smashie is on a distinguished roadsmashie is on a distinguished road

woo hoo!! just got my letter this morning, not an unreasonable request on ntl's part but i just can't stay within the guidelines so my ntl phone lines going on the 30th aug and my bb is going shortly thereafter, it's a shame because other than the letter i received this morning i've been a very happy customer...

the king is dead, long live the king!
Old 18-08-2005, 12:34   #436
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

Quote:
Just got a warning letter from NTL for going way over my download cap. They say unless I get it to under 30gb during september they'll either cut me off or reduce my service while "paying the same or less" than I am currently!

Has anyone got one of these before? Have they been cut off?
i got a letter today too, saying the same thing and that they would contact me in october. thing is i cant complain, as the letter says:

"During the month of july your Broadband usage was 193GB which is far in excess of the monthly usage allowance for your service as set out in ntl's User Policy, section 20.2."
oops
further on in the letter it mentions that in the future ntl will be allowing for unlimited usage allowances, hope they get those into place before 10mb comes along or i'll be stuffed.

as i said, i cant really complain as i knew all about the cap, just thought i would see how far i could push it. just subscribed to newshosting too, ahwell.
Old 18-08-2005, 12:46   #437
smashie
Inactive

smashie is on a distinguished roadsmashie is on a distinguished road

he he it's all going pete tong... news hosting is the reason i got myself a letter.. like you said i knew the rules and i blatantley took the **** also, but when i phoned them earlier to cancel my phone and bb packages they weren't a bit phazed it was kinda so long and thanks for all the fish!!
such is life...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis01
i got a letter today too, saying the same thing and that they would contact me in october. thing is i cant complain, as the letter says:

"During the month of july your Broadband usage was 193GB which is far in excess of the monthly usage allowance for your service as set out in ntl's User Policy, section 20.2."
oops
further on in the letter it mentions that in the future ntl will be allowing for unlimited usage allowances, hope they get those into place before 10mb comes along or i'll be stuffed.

as i said, i cant really complain as i knew all about the cap, just thought i would see how far i could push it. just subscribed to newshosting too, ahwell.
Old 18-08-2005, 12:51   #438
Phlashman
Inactive

Well. Being all melodramatic I forgot that I have an uncapped 1.5mb ADSL line.... So I'm going to try and intergrate that into my existing network and do the big stuff through that. It's just a shame it'll take twice as long!

As I've said. I'm totally fine with what NTL are doing. I knew the limits and they've let me brake them for alot longer than I expected. I just feel they should of offered us an option to buy out our cap on our current speed.

nemesis01: 193GB, I'm glad you posted how much. I was starting to feel like my internet use is bizarre.

I wonder what the highest and lowest amount that people have been sent letters for? I think only people over 100GB. Anyone else like to post how much they used or take a guess on the highest/lowest amounts?
Old 18-08-2005, 12:52   #439
orangebird
Inactive

Services: Yeah Baby! ;)
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star
orangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny starorangebird has a nice shiny star

The two preceding posts to this one - this, ladies and gentlemen, is why ntl need to cap.
Old 18-08-2005, 12:52   #440
nemesis01
Inactive

Services: 120MB BB - Sky+ HD
nemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nicenemesis01 is just really nice
Send a message via MSN to nemesis01

well i am not gonna cancel anything, i'll play like a good boy and reduce my downloads, just set bandwidth throttle on newsbin to 150k or summat and wont download as much i suppose.

pretty dumb having such a small cap for a large service though imo, sure you need to maintain the service for everybody but surely they could push through some true "unlimited packages" for heavy users, i would gladly pay an extra £5 or maybe even £10 for that service.
Closed Thread