Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Wireless Linksys Connection Issues at Home

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Wireless Linksys Connection Issues at Home

Old 24-10-2006, 09:53   #1
rico_confused
Inactive

rico_confused is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless Linksys Connection Issues at Home

Hi,

I have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router connected to an NTL modem and until 2 weeks ago all worked fine. Now my wireless has stopped working on XP laptop, please can anybody help. I have put together a list of things that we have tried (including using a NTL modem connection at work - which works!)

At Home

1. Plugged the ethernet cable from the NTL modem into the laptop and the internet worked (Proving Modem works - Cable Works).
2. Unplugged the cable from the laptop and put it into the wireless router, then just used the laptop wirelessly to connect to the router using the following address - http://192.168.1.1. The laptop connected to the wireless router and could access the setup/administration page.
3. Refreshed the DNS and this worked, picking up the settings from the router. Could ping the gateway but could not ping the DNS servers (194.168.4.100 / 194.168.8.100) error = destination net unavailable
4. To test connection, plug an additional ethernet cable from one of the four ports on the router directly into the laptop. Refreshed DNS, still no internet connection and DNS server ping same as above, (both cables are known working cables).

In addition:

1. Powered off the modem as recommended on the NTL site for 30 seconds, then powered off the laptop and router. Powered the modem back on, left for 1 minute and then powered the router and laptop back on - no luck.
2. Cloned the MAC address of the laptop in the http://192.168.1.1 administration page - no luck.
3. Removed the Linksys router software and used the XP connection - no luck.
4. Reset the wireless router - no luck.
5. Reinstalled the linksys connection software - no luck.
6. Downloaded and installed the firmware from the Linksys site for the Linksys wireless router - version 4 - no luck.

At Work

Just brought my laptop and router into work where we also have a NTL modem internet connection. I connected the router to an NTL modem (using the same ethernet cable from home), powered up my laptop and wirelessly everything worked fine first time.

So I am stumped
- Home NTL modem appears to work as with ethernet to laptop internet is fine.
- Router configuration appears fine as this works at Work.
- Laptop appears fine as this also works at Work.

HELP!!
rico_confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-10-2006, 11:19   #2
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future
Re: Wireless Linksys Connection Issues at Home

Try switching the channel on the router when you get home.
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 11:47   #3
rico_confused
Inactive

There isn't an issue connecting to the wireless router, I can always access the admin page wirelessly.

Would changing the channel resolve this?

I have seen on this link the how to change channels - http://www.velocityreviews.com/forum...-lat-d600.html but it also suggests
9) If you still experiencing interference using channels 1, 6, or 11,
try switching the router to the other channels as well (2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9,
10) and find one that captures a good connection
do I just put in 2, 3 4 etc???

Thanks
Old 24-10-2006, 14:03   #4
pop80_uk
Inactive

pop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant futurepop80_uk has a brilliant future

Have you got any firewalls installed. Its very odd you can connect to the routers setting page but not the internet, as usually conflicts would stop this loading as well.
have you tried refreshing the network settings by deleting and then seting up a new network connection?
Also have you got the wireless device set up as the default in the network settings?
pop80_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2006, 14:57   #5
rico_confused
Inactive

I have disabled the firewall as I thought that may have been causing the problem.

Should I need to make it default/delete as all is fine when I connect the kit at work?

I will try this though and setup the wireless device as default.

In addition, does anybody know of any other DNS servers for NTL that I can try?
Old 26-10-2006, 12:46   #6
rico_confused
Inactive

Thanks pop80_uk, I tried both the below points of advice but unfortuntely neither worked.
I can still connect to the router wirelessly from the laptop, but cannot connect to the internet (or ping the DNS).

Anybody come across this before?
Old 27-10-2006, 11:24   #7
Slyder

Services: Superhub 2 60mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico_confused View Post
Thanks pop80_uk, I tried both the below points of advice but unfortuntely neither worked.
I can still connect to the router wirelessly from the laptop, but cannot connect to the internet (or ping the DNS).

Anybody come across this before?
Had a similar problem the other week with my wireless connection. I had to change the WPA password and all was well. Explain that one.