Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Different TV remotes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Different TV remotes

Old 20-02-2024, 00:08   #16
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Different TV remotes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
have the older model with my 2021 model Q80T. Got a slight curve to it and no solar panel. That came the year after and it was flatter and thinner too.

This is mine
https://www.partmaster.co.uk/bn59-01...g+smart+remote
That remote looks like my old one from my 2017 KS9000 TV.
Old 23-02-2024, 14:19   #17
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
The smaller smart one is connect via Bluetooth and doesn't need line of sight with the TV.
If it's Bluetooth or similar, the remote will need to be paired to the TV somehow. This could be the OP's problem. Check the manual or Samsung's website, OP
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2024, 17:19   #18
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
If you're just using it for streaming then you could use a Firestick and it's remote as I never use my Samsung remote in the bedroom.

Maybe your Samsung remote is faulty, do you know anyone with a Samsung and could you try their remote to see if it works?[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 23:06 ---------- Previous post was at 23:03 ----------
In answer to the question know anyone with Samsung? no
Why buy a stick when it would be a smart tv?
Lastly I have no problem with the Samsung TV I have , was just wondering if this was the norm , as if it was, it would not be suitable . Therefore would discount the brand.Didnt think it would cause this much discussion
Old 24-02-2024, 10:15   #19
damien c
cf.mega poster

Services: Tivo, 100mb, Mobile
damien c has reached the bronze age
damien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze agedamien c has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
In answer to the question know anyone with Samsung? no
Why buy a stick when it would be a smart tv?
Lastly I have no problem with the Samsung TV I have , was just wondering if this was the norm , as if it was, it would not be suitable . Therefore would discount the brand.Didnt think it would cause this much discussion
You see that is where you went wrong, this is a forum after all where people get asked questions and then try to figure out and resolve the issue for the person asking.

So to answer your issue:

Is it normal to have to be within 4ft of the TV, well no it's not normal however there could be multiple reasons for it.

To much sunlight causing interference with the signal
Cordless phones causing interference with the signal
Dying batteries
Dying remote

That is just some of them.

Now what you could do is buy a cheap one for all remote from Amazon and test it with your TV to see if you can do what you want it to do, seeing as most TV remotes now are not IR but Bluetooth instead, which is why the likes of the LG ones work at a greater distance, or whilst on a trampoline behind the couch in the next door neighbours kitchen << that last bit is sarcasm

If that cheap one for all remote resolves your issue then just stick with it, if not send it back and try a Fire Stick as those remotes are Bluetooth not IR iirc.

Before you ask "Why buy a stick when I have a smart tv" well because Amazon will update the Fire Stick for longer than Samsung will update the app's on the TV, not to mention the Samsung TV Software is utterly useless.

If you do decide to replace the TV, then send it back to the company you bought it from first and tell them what you cannot do with the remote, they will test and if it's actually a "Fault" they will fix it, if it's not then they will send it back.

You can then if you don't want it, throw it up on Fakebook or Ebay sell it cheap and put the money towards a slightly better TV from LG or Panasonic they are the only decent TV makers left now.
Old 24-02-2024, 11:26   #20
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post
You see that is where you went wrong, this is a forum after all where people get asked questions and then try to figure out and resolve the issue for the person asking.

So to answer your issue:

Is it normal to have to be within 4ft of the TV, well no it's not normal however there could be multiple reasons for it.

Dying batteries
Dying remote

Now what you could do is buy a cheap one for all remote from Amazon and test it with your TV to see if you can do what you want it to do, seeing as most TV remotes now are not IR but Bluetooth instead, which is why the likes of the LG ones work at a greater distance, or whilst on a trampoline behind the couch in the next door neighbours kitchen << that last bit is sarcasm

If that cheap one for all remote resolves your issue then just stick with it, if not send it back and try a Fire Stick as those remotes are Bluetooth not IR iirc.

Before you ask "Why buy a stick when I have a smart tv" well because Amazon will update the Fire Stick for longer than Samsung will update the app's on the TV, not to mention the Samsung TV Software is utterly useless.

If you do decide to replace the TV, then send it back to the company you bought it from first and tell them what you cannot do with the remote, they will test and if it's actually a "Fault" they will fix it, if it's not then they will send it back.

You can then if you don't want it, throw it up on Fakebook or Ebay sell it cheap and put the money towards a slightly better TV from LG or Panasonic they are the only decent TV makers left now.
Samsung still make top quality TVs atleast on their high end, I've not long had a top of the range mini led which is on par with an OLED without all the OLED issues you get and it's the dogs danglies compared to the LG QNED which sites say to avoid, also Sony do great TVs too in their mini led and OLED range.

Anyway I agree with all your other points.
Old 24-02-2024, 14:38   #21
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien c View Post

So to answer your issue:

Dying batteries
Dying remote

But I didn't ask for a fix , I was trying to explain why I asked the question. I am quite happy with the Samsung as it does what want mainly "watching" cnn when in kitchen How ever looking for a set for the bedroom and if it won't work over a range of 10 to 15 feet it is no use and with just look at LG which works well.
Old 24-02-2024, 17:41   #22
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
But I didn't ask for a fix , I was trying to explain why I asked the question. I am quite happy with the Samsung as it does what want mainly "watching" cnn when in kitchen How ever looking for a set for the bedroom and if it won't work over a range of 10 to 15 feet it is no use and with just look at LG which works well.
You asked if it was the norm for a Samsung remote to be useless like yours, well it's not the norm, if you didn't want suggestions on how to fix it then you should have said and we wouldn't have wasted our precious time trying to help you!
Old 25-02-2024, 11:34   #23
Itshim
Do I care what you think

is this the norm for Samsung or was it bad luck that get this tv[/QUOTE]

Sorry if this question was not clear
l don't see a question asking for fix! But thanks anyway

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Quote:
You asked if it was the norm for a Samsung remote to be useless like yours, well it's not the norm, if you didn't want suggestions on how to fix it then you should have said and we wouldn't have wasted our precious time trying to help you!
I think you are seeing things that are not there

Last edited by Itshim; 25-02-2024 at 11:37.
Itshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 12:15   #24
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

It's a help forum it's obvious people are going to try and help fix your remote problem, if you specifically didn't want any help then you should have said.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 25-02-2024 at 12:24.
SnoopZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 13:46   #25
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Good grief, is it a full moon again ? move on people.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2024, 15:01   #26
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
It's a help forum it's obvious people are going to try and help fix your remote problem, if you specifically didn't want any help then you should have said.
Last comment , were does it say cable " help" forum sorry when I want help I say so. It was I thought a simple question. End of any comment from me. Unless it is a reply to a personal one
Old 26-02-2024, 16:51   #27
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I wish they hadn't discontinued the harmony remote.

that would have help my dad with a one stop voice control.

all he would have need to day was "TV on" "TiVo on" "Alex BBC One" and he would be watching tv without messing with the remotes
Old 27-02-2024, 08:58   #28
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I wish they hadn't discontinued the harmony remote.

that would have help my dad with a one stop voice control.

all he would have need to day was "TV on" "TiVo on" "Alex BBC One" and he would be watching tv without messing with the remotes
Yeah, it’s crazy that Logitech stopped making them. We have the Ultimate One with hub and everyone loves it. When it dies, it will be a sad day in our house. I will probably get the Sofabaton X1 as a replacement as it looks like it does everything I need (simple ‘watch TV’ commands, IR blasters, etc.)
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote