Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 23-02-2013, 13:52   #541
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

ESPN to make "a major announcement"

ESPN have called a staff meeting for 9am Tuesday morning when they will make "a major announcement" it is expected that ESPN will inform its staff that BT Sport have bought ESPN's UK operation including rights for the FA Cup, Europa League, Scottish football and the Bundesliga

It is not known how many of the ESPN team will transfer to BT. But highly rated reporter / presenter Rebecca Lowe has impressed both ESPN’s American network chiefs and NBC, who have the US Premier League rights. Lowe’s possible move across the Atlantic might be connected to her partner, football manager Paul Buckle, leaving non-League Luton Town for personal reasons.
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-02-2013, 13:57   #542
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l cannot say l am surprised by this news and now the question for many Virgin viewers is the cost for BT Sports and the sooner we know the better.
Old 23-02-2013, 14:07   #543
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l cannot say l am surprised by this news and now the question for many Virgin viewers is the cost for BT Sports and the sooner we know the better.
BT have said the price of the channels will be announced nearer the time for the new football season starting in August so I'd expect an announcement later this summer I honestly can't see VM doing a deal with BT like they did with ESPN by putting it in the XL pack

What I'm waiting for is VM to announce they've secured the channels once I do I will be coming back from Sky in August regardless of the price as I'll be dropping the sky sports sub
Old 23-02-2013, 14:14   #544
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I wonder if the recent HD channel additions on VM are the ESPN money being distributed about elsewhere ? Now it looks certain to be exiting the UK.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 14:18   #545
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
I wonder if the recent HD channel additions on VM are the ESPN money being distributed about elsewhere ? Now it looks certain to be exiting the UK.
The new HD channels have arrived because new contracts have been signed they have nothing to do with ESPN leaving they will still be paying them on a sign up by sign up basis each month
Old 23-02-2013, 14:23   #546
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
The new HD channels have arrived because new contracts have been signed they have nothing to do with ESPN
Contracts always have to be renewed however the more channels you add the more it costs , I'm willing to bet the ESPN funds are being spent elsewhere which in turn is bringing the customer a nice variety of HD channels however that's just my opinion.
Old 23-02-2013, 15:08   #547
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
This is what I suspected may happen a few months ago.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/11...o-if-espn.html

If ESPN drops out of the XL package in June, and is not replaced by BT Sports, customers will expect a price reduction. We know this because of the out cry from XL customers when Setanta went bust 4 years ago, prior to Virgin landed a deal with ESPN. It'll be easier for Virgin to bat away requests for a price reducing by highlighting all the new HD channels that have been added since the turn of the year.

We should know for sure what is happening in the next 3 to 4 months.

---------- Post added at 15:08 ---------- Previous post was at 14:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
ESPN to make "a major announcement"

ESPN have called a staff meeting for 9am Tuesday morning when they will make "a major announcement" it is expected that ESPN will inform its staff that BT Sport have bought ESPN's UK operation including rights for the FA Cup, Europa League, Scottish football and the Bundesliga

It is not known how many of the ESPN team will transfer to BT. But highly rated reporter / presenter Rebecca Lowe has impressed both ESPN’s American network chiefs and NBC, who have the US Premier League rights. Lowe’s possible move across the Atlantic might be connected to her partner, football manager Paul Buckle, leaving non-League Luton Town for personal reasons.
The Daily Mail are going with the headline:

"Sky's new rivals BT snap up ESPN's UK operation including SPL and Bundesliga rights"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...rles-Sale.html
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 16:18   #548
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

I hope ESPN America continues as it did before the main ESPN channel launched at the demise of Setanta. Hopefully it will still be part of XL still and not a premium Channel.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 16:42   #549
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I hope ESPN America continues as it did before the main ESPN channel launched at the demise of Setanta. Hopefully it will still be part of XL still and not a premium Channel.
If ESPN America doesn't remain in the XL package, what do you think would be a fair price for the channel as a stand alone premium service? XL and VIP customers have enjoyed the channel for free for 4 years. The ESPN collection of channels cost everyone else with Virgin £8.00, or just £6.00 if they took SKY Sports. £5.00 would have to be a fair shout, especially if you get ESPN America in HD too.
Old 23-02-2013, 16:51   #550
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
If ESPN America doesn't remain in the XL package, what do you think would be a fair price for the channel as a stand alone premium service? XL and VIP customers have enjoyed the channel for free for 4 years. The ESPN collection of channels cost everyone else with Virgin £8.00, or just £6.00 if they took SKY Sports. £5.00 would have to be a fair shout, especially if you get ESPN America in HD too.
NASN cost £10 as a standalone however I'm not sure many would pay that for ESPN America especially those who like many sports , I can see ESPN America being added to Entertainment Extra on Sky and remaining in the XL on VM , its included in a pack on UPC Ireland and on many other platforms throughout Europe.
Old 23-02-2013, 17:08   #551
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
NASN cost £10 as a standalone however I'm not sure many would pay that for ESPN America especially those who like many sports , I can see ESPN America being added to Entertainment Extra on Sky and remaining in the XL on VM , its included in a pack on UPC Ireland and on many other platforms throughout Europe.
In the old days of NASN the picture quality was awful, I cannot believe I paid £10 for it and I would not today.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 17:10   #552
Chad
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Added to Entertainment Extra and XL would be a great outcome for American sports fans.

This whole chopping and changing of sports rights, and channels popping up and closing ever 3 or 4 years is a right pain in the behind.

My parents left SKY to join Virgin about 6 years ago purely so my Dad could get Setanta Sports free in the XL package. My Dad keeps asking me about BT Sports, will it be free, will he have to pay more etc...

I currently pay £10.00 per month for ESPN via SKY. If when BT Sports launches it costs about the same as ESPN currently does then I've got no problem. If it goes into the XL package with Virgin then my Dad has no problem. I can't help but feel however anyone who currently subscribers to ESPN with a provider outwith BT will end up paying more than they do now come the summer months if they take up BT Sports.
Old 23-02-2013, 17:13   #553
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Yes about a fiver would be about right.
Old 23-02-2013, 19:08   #554
Jameseh

Maybe BT will use all ESPNA content to fill the nighttime on BT1/2/3, meaning no need for another channel? Maybe under a 'ESPN on BT' block or something.
Old 23-02-2013, 19:09   #555
cityfan247
cf.addict

Services: Full House 2 V6 Boxes 1 1TB Tivo Freesat Freeview HD Roku Apple TV 3 Firesticks
cityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to beholdcityfan247 is a splendid one to behold

i subscribed to NASN when it started and have had ESPN America when it started up. I paid £10 pm back then but times have changed- it is not the only way to watch North American Sport anymore.

having had a channel for free to then expect people to pay for it will be difficult. Cant see many paying £10 on these days.

Personally even £5 pm might see my stop subscribing. Losing the NFL & NHL rights last year was a BIG disappointment for me. I subscribe to MLB.TV these days so can watch ANY MLB game i wish. As much as i like American sports, and i do follow college sports, is college basketball and football (and some MLB) enough to pay for it? probably not. Some questions would need to be answered first.

When ESPN goes will it transfer its NBA programming to ESPN America ? For me it would have to but as SKY has recently struck a deal with the NBA will it still have the rights?

Will ESPN America get any of its NFL programming again? Last Year ESPN lost its Monday Night Football game to BBC- it also stopped broadcasting its pregame ESPN (US) Sunday shows.

ESPN America HD would be absolutely essential to any pay subscription deal.

so no NHL, no NFL, some college sports ,possibly some NBA some MLB, MLS ? lacrosse ? hmmmmmmm.

as i say i would be sad to end my 10 years + watching this channel but it has to worth it.

Whilst having more tv companies showing sports increases competition it is not good new for viewers. How many people can afford to subscribe to Sky Sports, BT Sports and ESPN America (and maybe Premier Sports)? not too many i would say.
cityfan247 is offline   Reply With Quote