Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 15-06-2008, 18:10   #8971
Tharrick
Inactive

Services: Virgin 20mb cable
Tharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enoughTharrick will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Glad to hear it, mate, and good article
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2008, 18:18   #8972
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeak View Post
Please feel free to use this article, my name and the full discussion on my site if you feel it will give strength to your arguments. FYI the legal document supplied by Dr Clayton was the clincher for me.

Bad Phorm
thats good Blackbeak, one more to the fight perhaps, all we ask here is that you use the facts to decide and use vigilance to look for and inform others you may know in your part of the world about this DPI for profit.

its not just Phorm or NebuAd OC, its about to become endemic if each and every person dont do their part to stop it and find the better way.

Sir Bernard has it right....

BTW ,being a new face to this , what did you think about Portlys flyer
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer_V0.pdf

did it help inform you in any way being a non Uk resident?
Old 15-06-2008, 18:36   #8973
Blackbeak
Inactive

Blackbeak is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
Sir Bernard has it right....

BTW ,being a new face to this , what did you think about Portlys flyer

did it help inform you in any way being a non Uk resident?
Complaining to BT at the highest levels in numbers might help. I'd get the executive boards email addresses in that flyer.

It worked though, hit the right pain spots.
Old 15-06-2008, 18:41   #8974
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

I have been emailing Emma and Ian as a shareholder of BT sad to say they seem totally oblivious but i really wonder if they will allow phorm on their connections, since some BT secrets might hit the limelight.
Old 15-06-2008, 18:50   #8975
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Thanks everyone for the very positive response to the flyer.

Thanks also to Hank and Privacy Matters for their suggested amendments. I've incorporated all of these in a revised (hopefully final) version, available at:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Flyer.pdf

I've also renamed the Factsheet and you can now find it at:
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/Phorm_Factsheet.pdf

I'll link to them from the site later tonight at which time I'll take down the earlier versions (which have version numbers).

Quote:
Complaining to BT at the highest levels in numbers might help. I'd get the executive boards email addresses in that flyer.

It worked though, hit the right pain spots.
A thought - would it be useful for have addresses on the flyer as suggested by Blackbeak? I could add them on the back e.g. the BT contacts from http://www.inphormationdesk.org/ispcontacts.htm
and Writetothem etc
Old 15-06-2008, 18:52   #8976
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Please feel free to use this article, my name and the full discussion on my site if you feel it will give strength to your arguments. FYI the legal document supplied by Dr Clayton was the clincher for me.

Bad Phorm
as already stated i welcome your contibution, However as both a contributor at your Blog (indeed it was i that pointed to it here) and this Most important thread subject.

i ask that you remove and replace your " acutely paranoid folks" text as it is offensive and deeply derogatory.

i ask you here so as not to pollute your Blog and i can delete this post within the time limits of this MB SW if you see fit to comply and we can forget it and move along ...

i realise you may have made your Blog comment in jest and the "Thank God for paranoia."gives it away.

However, there are those watching, that will not blink at using your copy or your standing in defamatory ways our Anti Phorm stance... not least the people loosing money in their investments due to poor judgment on their part.
Old 15-06-2008, 18:59   #8977
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

We got any comic artists? I am trying to come up with a new logo for NoDPI nice and modern, web 2.0ish with a cartoon character as a mascot, but my artistic talents (as evidenced on the site so far) are a long way removed from proficient.

I am going to reworking the entire layout of the site over the next week or so using a custom theme and custom css. The theme at the moment was only ever a temporary solution so I could get the site up quickly.

Alexander Hanff
Old 15-06-2008, 19:05   #8978
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow guys, things are really moving on quickly, huh?
Old 15-06-2008, 19:13   #8979
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Bad Phorm
Great article, and thank you for listening to the concerns of the people here.

One thing I would change, though, is to remove the "acutely paranoid" comment as it is rather offensive IMHO.

OB
Old 15-06-2008, 19:21   #8980
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:

Bad Phorm
Replacing the "acutely paranoid", with "acutely accurate" would make your blog as acutely accurate as these pages.
Old 15-06-2008, 19:43   #8981
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

I cant but feel that after reading todays posts that the hard core of the group tend to overlook the less involved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwade View Post
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a couple of months but I had to sign up because you have to see this...

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4137799.ece

about half way down the page

<snip> BT – where the latest trial of the technology begins this week </snip>

zwade
read by many but acknowledged by one other.Then late in the day repeated by Hank.

QUOTE=Hank;34575978]Good. It would be a shame for someone who seems to have some intelligence not to learn from so many others that they were wrong.

Deception, Blackbeak, is what Phorm and Webwise is ALL about.

It has to be sold to consumers using deception because there is very little good to be gained by the consumer and plenty to lose. That's why Webwise has been and will continue to be "sold" as giving users security with its anti-phishing piece (the anti-phishing alreday freely available in IE7 etc and therefore just not needed)

Hank

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

oh-oh... we're goin to be victims of their trial again?

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/to...cle4137799.ece

After a troubled beginning, Phorm’s time may finally have come. The firm tracks the websites that internet users visit and serves them relevant display advertising. So far Virgin Media, Talk Talk and BT – where the latest trial of the technology begins this week – have signed up, keen to get a slice of the online advertising pie.

Significant concerns about Phorm remain. A 20% slide in its thinly traded, volatile shares this year stems from the fact that it is a long way from delivering on its promises. Phorm’s sales are still negligible.

However, the talk is that boss Kent Ertugrul will shortly sign up an overseas internet service provider, too.

Whether his business model gains traction or not, the shares look ready to bounce back.
[/QUOTE]

Info clearly missed by focusing on a Blog and as many have stated the good info is here ,and I can only apologise to zwade that his first and impotant post went unoticed lets keep it tight and read everything.
Old 15-06-2008, 19:49   #8982
Privacy_Matters
Inactive

Privacy_Matters is an unknown quantity at this point

@Tarquin L-Smythe

This hadn't been missed - this had been posted several times on various websites frequented by members of cf.
Old 15-06-2008, 19:54   #8983
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Your gut feeling is wrong.

Full disclaimer:

I have no association with Phorm, BT or any interest in getting work in this manner. I know people in BT working in web analytics and data mining, I don't know anyone at Phorm. I am interested in data mining and am part of a number of different organisations, online groups and am regarded by many as an expert in web analytics, marketing and data analysis.

I work for a company called Trainers' House Satama as a consultant and I am based in Helsinki Finland.

I don't need to tout for work because the demand for my skills is very high due to the lack of people in my line of work.

I didn't intend to attract a whole new set of visitors to my site by writing my post, it was simply picked up by someone, posted here and then I got a whole lot of comments on my site. I intended to open a debate with my peers and regular Blackbeak readers whom have so far not commented though it is a weekend and probably most of them have better things to do than read my blog.

I know what can and can't be extracted from a lot of different web analytics tools. I am writing this looking at a browser tool (the Google Toolbar) that allows Google to see every website I visit. They know everything about my web browsing habits. And I don't care. Because i know how difficult it would be to pinpoint me as an individual and figure out who I am. I also know that it would be a complete WASTE OF THEIR TIME to do so. What's the point of knowing one persons behavior?

So to continue this debate here, please tell me the value of Phorm or BT to know the browsing habits of individuals? What business reason would they have for that? Think about it. The value comes from the aggregation of the data not from being to tell what you or I are doing individually.
I think most if not all of the points have been already answered by others on this forum and you have my full respect for subsequently reviewing your position.
Old 15-06-2008, 19:57   #8984
Tarquin L-Smythe
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband BT Vision Sky
Tarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about themTarquin L-Smythe has a spectacular aura about them

But there was a big discussion about a blog as opposed to BT launching their test yet again who is the enemy here the non believer or they that will have this technology implemented
Old 15-06-2008, 19:59   #8985
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post
New Flyer - simpler, only one page, higher impact. Comments anyone?

Latest version (since this) is ten out of ten. I feel so much better than I did a couple of days ago when I felt we were mainly targeting our own kind .
Closed Thread