Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | NTL and Belkin F5d9230-4 problem

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

NTL and Belkin F5d9230-4 problem

Old 15-10-2006, 15:58   #1
jtlondon
Inactive

jtlondon is an unknown quantity at this point
NTL and Belkin F5d9230-4 problem

I have just inslatted a Belkin wirless router and connected ot to the NTL cable modem

The Apple Mac connects wirelessly ok (wouldn't it just!)

My existing win2k PC will no longer connect to the internet when I connect the ethernet cable to the Belkin router

I have done a ipconfig /all which says...
host-name = home-pc
primary DNS suffix = blank
node type = broadcast
IP routing enabled = no
WINS proxy enabled = no

I have even truied reconnecting the cable modem directly to the PC and it still will not connect to the internet

Arrrggghhhh!!! Help me someone please or I'll lose all my credibility...
jtlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2006, 16:04   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: NTL and Belkin F5d9230-4 problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtlondon View Post
I have just inslatted a Belkin wirless router and connected ot to the NTL cable modem

The Apple Mac connects wirelessly ok (wouldn't it just!)

My existing win2k PC will no longer connect to the internet when I connect the ethernet cable to the Belkin router

I have done a ipconfig /all which says...
host-name = home-pc
node type = broadcast
IP routing enabled = no
WINS proxy enabled = no

I have even truied reconnecting the cable modem directly to the PC and it still will not connect to the internet

Arrrggghhhh!!! Help me someone please or I'll lose all my credibility...
Power down the modem, router and pc.

Now power on the modem and let it settle and then the router and finely the pc. See if that helps.
Old 15-10-2006, 16:29   #3
jtlondon
Inactive

just tried it...didnt work

webpage failes with a cannot find server or DNS error

I checked the cable on the pc - green light displayed

checked router for "DHCP client list" ..it only lists the apple laptop as connected

Any other ideas??
Old 15-10-2006, 16:44   #4
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Good article here troubleshooting a wired connection that doesn't work when a wireless one does. Substitute your router's IP address for the one given....
Cobbydaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 17:00   #5
jtlondon
Inactive

good info but still not resolved

i tried pinging the router but it could not see it...not sure where to go next...

tried to connect directly to the cable modem again and it failed...

now I cannot even get back to square one...
Old 15-10-2006, 17:08   #6
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Try deleting the network drivers for the win2k PC, reboot the PC and reload. Make sure that somehow you haven't disabled that connection, and that the ethernet cable is fully plugged home (i'ts not a crossover cable is it?).
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2006, 17:11   #7
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Try netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt in a command window (I think this works for 2000 as well as XP).

This resets the tcp/ip stack, full info here...
Old 15-10-2006, 17:12   #8
jtlondon
Inactive

how do I delete the drivers?

I have forgotten how to delete the drivers...moved over to Apple ages ago...

I tried to view the available devices but it doesnt appear to list network cards/ethernet as a device...but the ethernet cable is defenitely plugged into somehting that has a green light

If I find the card and delete the drivers...where will it find them?
Old 15-10-2006, 17:29   #9
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

What do you get if you ipconfig /all now?
Old 15-10-2006, 17:33   #10
jtlondon
Inactive

host-name = home-pc
node type = broadcast
IP routing enabled = no
WINS proxy enabled = no

Does it mean the network card needs configuring (foudn it by relevaling hidden devices)

I alao tried the netsh command but it wasnt recognised
Old 15-10-2006, 17:41   #11
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Have you tried ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew?

Other than that you could check the NIC config, but it was working before...
Old 15-10-2006, 17:44   #12
jtlondon
Inactive

both displayed the message
Error: No adapters bound to TCP/IP are enabled for DHCP

How do I configure the network adapter?

Can u take me through the process?
Old 15-10-2006, 17:48   #13
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Follow this as far as step 4, then select Obtain an IP address automatically
Old 15-10-2006, 17:52   #14
jtlondon
Inactive

I feel we're getting closer...the 'Local Area connection' icon is not displayed

Waht does this mean? and is there any around it?
Old 15-10-2006, 18:02   #15
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Can you remove the NIC in Device Manager, then run the Add New Hardware wizard?