Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 02-09-2020, 11:53   #256
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That's still fine though as they tend to be British companies getting the commission. The BBC doesn't have to be a monolithic organisation, it can be just as valuable as a resource for British work to get put into screen.

One of the roles of the BBC is to promote and cultivate British artists. A lot of musical acts got their first radio play from the BBC and a lot of writers/actors started off at the BBC.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Bit rich to complain about people bringing down British identity and then too to complain of varied accents on advertising. We don't all speak in received pronunciation. Britain has always had varied accents.
There's Lincolnshire and there's foreign
Old 02-09-2020, 11:54   #257
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

The most important thing about any accent used, is that it must be clearly understood by the majority.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:55   #258
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Whose language has it corrupted? It doesn’t affect the way I talk, or any of my kids. Sub cultural forms of expression come and go.
I see you've never watched eastenders init.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:00   #259
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I've no problem with traditional UK accents. But this gangland type London speak, which corrupts the language, is a step too far for me and a lot of people, I suggest.
You're talking about using words like 'fam', 'bruv' and 'innit' right?

That kind of accent and language has been around in London for a few decades at least now. Those are proper British/London accents which you can easily identify. London has all kinds of dialects and if enough people speak it, and they're British, then it's as proper a dialect as any others. It was cocky before that for example.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:02   #260
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

The English have often had incomprehensible accents. My father worked for a farmer who was completely English and that I literally could not understand.

My concern is more the political manipulation of language the BBC seems to do like "Sexual assault survivor" and "Decolonising the curriculum". This are things that were never used in the language before and do not actually make sense on their own terms.

Last edited by downquark1; 02-09-2020 at 12:29.
downquark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:53   #261
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Bit rich to complain about people bringing down British identity and then too to complain of varied accents on advertising. We don't all speak in received pronunciation. Britain has always had varied accents.
I've no problem with the BBC having "correct" accents, I can't think of anything worse than a newsreader/ presenter with a broad Scouse, Brummie, Geordie, etc accent.

and that's comes from someone born and bred in Liverpool.

Another accent I hate, I can only describe it as Generic female middle clasee southern accent, where there is a little croak in the voice to. Goes through me like nails on a black board.
Old 02-09-2020, 12:58   #262
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I hardly think it’s trolling to point out that the BBC, by any reasonable measure, are part of the Establishment.

You know this, how? Or is it just your usual warped view of everything and anything that anyone else posts which is different from your views?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:34   #263
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You know this, how? Or is it just your usual warped view of everything and anything that anyone else posts which is different from your views?
Oddly, you are the only person that has contested the point.

I can only assume you deny the existence of an Establishment at all and that all our political, business and leaders within the media are there on merit. They all got to Oxford and Cambridge on merit, and it didn’t matter that Daddy was the 39th Lord something and cousin of King George VI.

Somewhat naive if so.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 13:35   #264
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I've no problem with the BBC having "correct" accents, I can't think of anything worse than a newsreader/ presenter with a broad Scouse, Brummie, Geordie, etc accent.
Newsreaders are different because their purpose is to be clear. You always hear the weakest/most general of any given accent on BBC News/BBC Radio.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:19   #265
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Maybe the new DG has just saved the BBC. A small choir in the Albert Hall will lead the nation into the songs so deprecated by the woke minority.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 14:23   #266
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Oddly, you are the only person that has contested the point.

I can only assume you deny the existence of an Establishment at all and that all our political, business and leaders within the media are there on merit. They all got to Oxford and Cambridge on merit, and it didn’t matter that Daddy was the 39th Lord something and cousin of King George VI.

Somewhat naive if so.
You don't really have to look too far back in the list of past BBC DG's to find the bit in bold falls in to the category of a crock of shit, but hey I suppose it sounds good if you say it confidently enough. Are we maybe seeing the old green eyed monster showing its head?
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 15:07   #267
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
You don't really have to look too far back in the list of past BBC DG's to find the bit in bold falls in to the category of a crock of shit, but hey I suppose it sounds good if you say it confidently enough. Are we maybe seeing the old green eyed monster showing its head?
The Director General is but one position. I suppose Durham is nice too. Maybe not St. Andrews but up there.

I fail to see how pointing out that patronage and nepotism are a common part of public life in the United Kingdom, including at the BBC, is “the green eyed monster”.
Old 02-09-2020, 15:44   #268
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The Director General is but one position. I suppose Durham is nice too. Maybe not St. Andrews but up there.

I fail to see how pointing out that patronage and nepotism are a common part of public life in the United Kingdom, including at the BBC, is “the green eyed monster”.
Quite few media Alumni went to Durham - but no DG.
Know it well - my son studied there.

Old 02-09-2020, 18:57   #269
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Quite few media Alumni went to Durham - but no DG.
Know it well - my son studied there.
And was his mind corrupted by left wing lecturers and tutors?
Old 02-09-2020, 20:39   #270
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
And was his mind corrupted by left wing lecturers and tutors?
No - Software Engineering doesn't attract lefties.

But my daughter's mind was so corrupted at Sussex. We've only just got her mind right - 12 years later. Some of the woke is still there - like multi-culturalism which just doesn't work and which some cultures just don't do.