Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Funding of the BBC

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Funding of the BBC

Old 02-09-2020, 07:43   #241
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Funding of the BBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Trolling again just for another argument?
Think he was being amusing and successfully too.

The anti BBC stuff us all coming from a right wing Govt and a right wing press. Folks are easily led, told what to think, and who to hate these days. They'll be the first to complain, when the quality of TV nosedives, we no longer make anything that won't make a profit ; half the airtime taken up with ads, the other with imported crap.

The BBC is one of the most British things about the country and the envy of others. Go abroad and and see how much if its output is distributed, the US has channels devoted to it.

As for funding, if they can find another way go for it. However it'll still need paying for. A subscription service would cost lots more with fewer subscribers.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2020, 08:03   #242
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

The anti BBC stuff us all coming from a right wing Govt and a right wing press. Folks are easily led, told what to think, and who to hate these days. They'll be the first to complain, when the quality of TV nosedives, we no longer make anything that won't make a profit ; half the airtime taken up with ads, the other with imported crap.

The BBC is one of the most British things about the country and the envy of others. Go abroad and and see how much if its output is distributed, the US has channels devoted to it.

As for funding, if they can find another way go for it. However it'll still need paying for. A subscription service would cost lots more with fewer subscribers.
The BBC stopped making decent programs many years ago. Much of their stuff is now made by independent companies. Yes now and then they put out a good program but most of it in my opinion is poor. Some will disagree with me I know but more will agree. I'm not a right wing Tory voter either by_the_way. Just thought I'd mention it.
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:20   #243
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
But, but, but....

It’s a left-wing tree-hugging commie-symp woke luvvie organisation - how can it be an arm of the establishment whilst being totally against the establishment?

---------- Post added at 08:19 ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
The BBC stopped making decent programs many years ago. Much of their stuff is now made by independent companies. Yes now and then they put out a good program but most of it in my opinion is poor. Some will disagree with me I know but more will agree. I'm not a right wing Tory voter either by_the_way. Just thought I'd mention it.
Exactly. Hugh, albeit with his usual sarcasm, put it quite well.

Quote:
It’s a left-wing tree-hugging commie-symp woke luvvie organisation
Hence no new stuff like Blackadder, 'Allo 'Allo, Fawlty Towers.

It is a shameful, woke organisation that has clearly demonstrated its political bias and is incapable of looking itself in the mirror (see Lord Hall for dsetails).

---------- Post added at 08:20 ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 ----------

Quote:

Not bad, what you said.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:58   #244
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I note that all political parties complain bitterly about the BBC. Which proves that the BBC is doing just what it should which is expose us the public to all opinions not just one world view.I have Labour and Tory friends who want the BBC gone because they view it as the mouthpiece of the other.Which is why both parties have consistently sought to underfund the BBC.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:59   #245
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Folks are easily led, told what to think, and who to hate these days. .
Ain't that the truth
Old 02-09-2020, 09:08   #246
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
I note that all political parties complain bitterly about the BBC. Which proves that the BBC is doing just what it should which is expose us the public to all opinions not just one world view

---------- Post added at 09:08 ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 ----------

Quote:
I have Labour and Tory friends who want the BBC gone because they view it as the mouthpiece of the other.Which is why both parties have consistently sought to underfund the BBC.
The trouble is too many listen to both the left and right politically mandated media propagandists.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32   #247
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I note that all political parties complain bitterly about the BBC. Which proves that the BBC is doing just what it should which is expose us the public to all opinions not just one world view.I have Labour and Tory friends who want the BBC gone because they view it as the mouthpiece of the other.Which is why both parties have consistently sought to underfund the BBC.
Schrödinger’s BBC - it is neither left-wing or right-wing until viewed by a right-winger or a left-winger.

*apologies to Schrödinger‘s Cat...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:32   #248
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
...... which raises a point about how bias shows itself.

For example - vacant chair and its associated voids. “We invited a government spokesman to comment, but .....” - so they give the air time to the opposition parties. Brexit was classic BBC bias.

Hugh’s unfortunate sarcasm is more or less the bare truth.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:38   #249
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
...... which raises a point about how bias shows itself.

For example - vacant chair and its associated voids. “We invited a government spokesman to comment, but .....” - so they give the air time to the opposition parties. Brexit was classic BBC bias.

Hugh’s unfortunate sarcasm is more or less the bare truth.
It really isn’t - just because you appear to be trapped in a Telegraph bubble, and echo it’s anti-BBC sentiments, doesn’t make it reality...

Brexit - Question Time had Farage on 33 times - obviously didn’t want to show a pro-Brexit view...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40   #250
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Schrödinger’s BBC - it is neither left-wing or right-wing until viewed by a right-winger or a left-winger.

*apologies to Schrödinger‘s Cat...
There's one kind of people in this world.
Those who know about Schrodinger, and those who don't.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:57   #251
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
It really isn’t - just because you appear to be trapped in a Telegraph bubble, and echo it’s anti-BBC sentiments, doesn’t make it reality...

Brexit - Question Time had Farage on 33 times - obviously didn’t want to show a pro-Brexit view...

A friend of mine at the BBC told me that Farage was invited because it would always lead to argument - like 3 or 4 against one. I class that as political bias.

I’M BY NO MEANS TRAPPED IN A ‘Telegraph bubble’. The Torygraph is a fine newspapers whose article writers reflect many/most of my views on the UK etc.

It is the woke people who are trapped in a woke bubble that is intent on bringing down British identity. Have you noticed the funny accents now being used in TV adverts? I know it’s nothing to do with the Telegraph, but at least the advertisers should put people on who speak proper English, not sink estate accents and don’t change “the” into “de” and so on. Woke, bloody woke.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:05   #252
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegramsam View Post
That's still fine though as they tend to be British companies getting the commission. The BBC doesn't have to be a monolithic organisation, it can be just as valuable as a resource for British work to get put into screen.

One of the roles of the BBC is to promote and cultivate British artists. A lot of musical acts got their first radio play from the BBC and a lot of writers/actors started off at the BBC.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
It is the woke people who are trapped in a woke bubble that is intent on bringing down British identity. Have you noticed the funny accents now being used in TV adverts? I know it’s nothing to do with the Telegraph, but at least the advertisers should put people on who speak proper English, not sink estate accents and don’t change “the” into “de” and so on. Woke, bloody woke. [/COLOR]
Bit rich to complain about people bringing down British identity and then too to complain of varied accents on advertising. We don't all speak in received pronunciation. Britain has always had varied accents.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 10:09   #253
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Trolling again just for another argument?
I hardly think it’s trolling to point out that the BBC, by any reasonable measure, are part of the Establishment.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 11:41   #254
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
That's still fine though as they tend to be British companies getting the commission. The BBC doesn't have to be a monolithic organisation, it can be just as valuable as a resource for British work to get put into screen.

One of the roles of the BBC is to promote and cultivate British artists. A lot of musical acts got their first radio play from the BBC and a lot of writers/actors started off at the BBC.

---------- Post added at 10:05 ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 ----------

Bit rich to complain about people bringing down British identity and then too to complain of varied accents on advertising. We don't all speak in received pronunciation. Britain has always had varied accents.
I've no problem with traditional UK accents. But this gangland type London speak, which corrupts the language, is a step too far for me and a lot of people, I suggest.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:50   #255
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Whose language has it corrupted? It doesn’t affect the way I talk, or any of my kids. Sub cultural forms of expression come and go.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote