Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Worst thing you've done to a computer

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

Worst thing you've done to a computer

Old 31-08-2005, 22:31   #31
ScaredWebWarrior

Services: NTL Phone/Cable
Re: Worst thing you've done to a computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs markymoan
"My husband is a pratt" Need i say more
LOL!!!

BTW - didn't know Mrs Markymoan frequented this corner of the 'net.

BTW[2] - Why 'markymoan'? It's been bugging me for ages!!!
Advertisement
Old 01-09-2005, 01:03   #32
makikomi
Inactive

Services: NTL cable
makikomi has reached the bronze age
makikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze age

Installing Halo.

I never forgave myself...
makikomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:05   #33
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by makikomi
Installing Halo.

Don't let Saxo see that!
Old 01-09-2005, 01:08   #34
marky
Inactive

Services: non wife took control
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star
marky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny starmarky has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaredWebWarrior
LOL!!!

BTW - didn't know Mrs Markymoan frequented this corner of the 'net.

BTW[2] - Why 'markymoan'? It's been bugging me for ages!!!
when i first used this forum i had a real moan about ntl and things
i since changed my name
marky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:19   #35
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

There was a period where i used Windows for a while. Horrible.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:28   #36
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Posted by makikomi
Installing Halo.

Agreed. I have more fun getting the old Snes out and playing on Super Mario.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:33   #37
cookie_365
Inactive

cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze
cookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronzecookie_365 is cast in bronze

Took a brand new computer out of its box once ... it's been downhill ever since ...
cookie_365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:50   #38
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute
Red face My computer cockups

When I was a wee nipper (and when BBC micros were in vogue ) I proceeded to hit the power button on a series of daisy chained extension blocks powering a number of these BBC micro computers. Oops.

Twice I've nearly trashed a few hundred quids worth of TFT screen and computer. On the first occasion I tripped over some of the monitor cables. Result, two monitors came flying off the desk and hung by their wires and swayed a bit as a deafening silence ensued around the room whilst the teacher glared at me.

On the second occasion, a friend of mine was sitting towards the middle of an ordinary office style desk with two computers on and I decided to lean on the desk next to him whilst he sat there. A few seconds later, there was a huge crack as the weak welding at the back of the desk gave way - he fell to the ground as I caught the desk in time and tried to stop the computers from sliding off and crashing to the ground. I was lucky in some respects as the wires saved the day again and stopped the computers from coming off completely.

Luckily I was saved by some people nearby who helped who lifted the computers and placed them on a desk next to the now broken one. I just wanted to die at that moment. I was soooo embarassed, and so was he. Again, there were many sharp intakes of breath and a stunned silence began not soon after the event. I made a pretty quick exit after I was relieved of my computer bearing duties.

Other minor computer cock-ups include opening the original photos transferred off my digital camera, resizing them for web use and saving them. Except I forgot I was working on the originals and not copies - the result; some tiny compressed JPEG images. Whoops.

In the days when I was new to computers and had a Packard Bell PC running Windows 98 the only way to reinstall anything was to use the recovery CDs. The problem - the recovery CD didn't work as per manual on a number of occasions and wiped my HD without prompting. I lost all of my personal files on the HD. On other occasions where I've had to use the CDs they didn't work; and at one point the whole recovery program (an unstable beast that it is) stopped working as it couldn't detect the "tattoo" on the PC and so left me with a useless machine stuck at the c:\> prompt. Needless to say I persevered and the damn thing finally worked and vowed never to buy an off the shelf PC with any sort of recovery solution ever again.

I've also broken my CD drive by not bothering to close it. Opened it to take a CD out and couldn't be bothered to shut it straight away. As sod's law would dictate, I knocked an object off the desk and as the tower with open CD drive was beneath, the tray snapped off as the object clipped the tray on its descent.
ntl customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 01:56   #39
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Taking my PC to the guy who owned the little corner shop up the road for repairs.
A gold fish could have known more about computers than this guy who messed up my whole system.
Since that time about 6 years ago, I now do everything myself. Saves money, you learn more about computers, and its more fun.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:15   #40
Graham
Inactive

Graham has a nice shiny star
Graham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny starGraham has a nice shiny star

Changing my mother board.

*WHY* this should stop Win 2k from booting and require practically a total re-install of everying I will *never* know...!!!
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:14   #41
cara08
Inactive

Services: Virgin VIP Package
cara08 is a glorious beacon of lightcara08 is a glorious beacon of lightcara08 is a glorious beacon of lightcara08 is a glorious beacon of lightcara08 is a glorious beacon of lightcara08 is a glorious beacon of lightcara08 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to cara08 Send a message via MSN to cara08 Send a message via Yahoo to cara08

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwieser
Surely putting ANY version of AOL on your PC is a Major F*** up!

how true for me, along with plugging in and starting up my pc in the first place it`s been a major headache ever since.
cara08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 10:59   #42
makikomi
Inactive

makikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze agemakikomi has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
Don't let Saxo see that!
The game started off well, but it was sooooo bloody boring from about 1/3 of the way through. The weapons seemed wrong (plasticky and weedy), the AI was nothing special, so many of the building just the same, and I just wanted to complete it so that I could get rid of it.

I thought it was hugely disappointing after the level of hype it was given.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:33   #43
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Try the multiplayer good if your starting out but depends which arena's you use, I recommend the bungie offical ones.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:56   #44
makikomi
Inactive

I tried all the different arenas that came with the game. To be honest, they provided about 5 minutes of entertainment each, but I didn't feel it was any good. I know there are people out there who adore Halo, but I felt it was massively overhyped and just didn't produce a good gaming experience. I was bored most of the time.
Old 04-09-2005, 14:11   #45
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars

At home... bit too much alcohol, playing with a power supply and forgetting to check the 115/230v selector. It makes a nice bang and smells a bit when it dies.

At work... deleted wrong directories from *nix boxes on numerous occaisions, and once dropped a load of tables from the wrong Oracle instance (not my fault... both instances used the same username and password, and I just kinda forgot to check my ORA_HOME and ORA_SID variables )
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote