Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 13-03-2021, 21:26   #4066
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
The AZ contractors in the EU are not performing well with three out of four contractors named in the contract not yet delivering. This is the crux of the issue.
I would have thought the question should be "Are the contractors producing and supplies being held up by red tape"?
Advertisement
Old 13-03-2021, 21:47   #4067
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I would have thought the question should be "Are the contractors producing and supplies being held up by red tape"?
They've not requested approval so that's not the case. It needs to be approved asap once the details are submitted.

---------- Post added at 20:47 ---------- Previous post was at 20:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
The Commission slipped up big time by not squaring the circle at the time of contract signature. Fancy not knowing that EU production could not take place!
I'm sure every contract signed had a degree of risk that there might be manufacturing issues but to say they knew that EU production could not place is incorrect.
Old 13-03-2021, 21:54   #4068
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
<SNIP>

[/COLOR]
I'm sure every contract signed had a degree of risk that there might be manufacturing issues but to say they knew that EU production could not place is incorrect.
You're coming across again as the defender of the EU.
You really should give up this tack.

Anyway, you're choosing not to understand what I said. If the EC had been doing its job properly, that risk would have been foreseen (as the facilities had not been licensed) and mitigated. It's one of the biggest fups ever seen in recent times.

Papa has it right - there is a weight of death that hangs on the EU's shoulders.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-03-2021, 22:27   #4069
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
You're coming across again as the defender of the EU.
You really should give up this tack.

Anyway, you're choosing not to understand what I said. If the EC had been doing its job properly, that risk would have been foreseen (as the facilities had not been licensed) and mitigated. It's one of the biggest fups ever seen in recent times.

Papa has it right - there is a weight of death that hangs on the EU's shoulders.
I'm afraid you're looking at the situation and saying "How can I make this fit what the Telegraph leader writers would say" as oppose to looking at the evidence and thinking drawing a logical facts-based conclusion.

No facilities anywhere had been approved when the contract was signed for the manufacture of the AstraZeneca vaccine. It appears you would have preferred that the UK and EU wait several months until the factories were licensed and then sign the contracts? Sorry to disagree but that's ridiculous given the nature of the challenge we face.
Old 13-03-2021, 22:47   #4070
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I'm afraid you're looking at the situation and saying "How can I make this fit what the Telegraph leader writers would say" as oppose to looking at the evidence and thinking drawing a logical facts-based conclusion.

No facilities anywhere had been approved when the contract was signed for the manufacture of the AstraZeneca vaccine. It appears you would have preferred that the UK and EU wait several months until the factories were licensed and then sign the contracts? Sorry to disagree but that's ridiculous given the nature of the challenge we face.
Quote:
What utter rubbish, Andrew. That's not on my mind at all.
Indeed, the quotes that got me going were from the Times and FT.
Unless you don't believe what those papers are reporting, there is no flaw in the conclusion I have reached.

Quote:
Well, exactly. By any project management risk assessment standards, that would have been very high on probability and very high on negative effect. By all means sign the contract but mitigate the risks, which they didn't do. Political considerations would have ruled out the Russian/Chines vaccines and surely/maybe the Germans could have done something about Pfizer.

How can you be so far off the mark?

And stop coming across as the EC's spokesman on the forum. Credibility is surely everything.

Old 13-03-2021, 23:13   #4071
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
What utter rubbish, Andrew. That's not on my mind at all.
Indeed, the quotes that got me going were from the Times and FT.
Unless you don't believe what those papers are reporting, there is no flaw in the conclusion I have reached.

Well, exactly. By any project management risk assessment standards, that would have been very high on probability and very high on negative effect. By all means sign the contract but mitigate the risks, which they didn't do. Political considerations would have ruled out the Russian/Chines vaccines and surely/maybe the Germans could have done something about Pfizer.

How can you be so far off the mark?

And stop coming across as the EC's spokesman on the forum. Credibility is surely everything.

The EU and UK signed up pretty much for the same vaccines including the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine as well as the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. I've posted who ordered what previously.

Supplies of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine have not been as promised. Originally, AstraZeneca was due to supply 100m shots to the EU by the end of March. The company then said it could only supply 40m shots in this timescale due to production issues. It now looks like it won't achieve this and will only be able to supply 30m shots by the end of the month.
Old 13-03-2021, 23:29   #4072
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
The EU and UK signed up pretty much for the same vaccines including the BioNTech-Pfizer vaccine as well as the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine. I've posted who ordered what previously.

Supplies of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine have not been as promised. Originally, AstraZeneca was due to supply 100m shots to the EU by the end of March. The company then said it could only supply 40m shots in this timescale due to production issues. It now looks like it won't achieve this and will only be able to supply 30m shots by the end of the month.
You're dodging the point I made. Not surprising, really - because I'm right but you can't bring yourself to agree that the EC fupped big time.

The EC did not do its job properly; it did not properly assess the and thus did couldn't mitigate them.

Those idiots then went on the warpath, flinging accusations on everyone but themselves. We're vaccinating and they are hardly vaccinating. Speaks for itself while you're sticking up for those idiots.

Old 13-03-2021, 23:46   #4073
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
You're dodging the point I made. Not surprising, really - because I'm right but you can't bring yourself to agree that the EC fupped big time.

The EC did not do its job properly; it did not properly assess the and thus did couldn't mitigate them.

Those idiots then went on the warpath, flinging accusations on everyone but themselves. We're vaccinating and they are hardly vaccinating. Speaks for itself while you're sticking up for those idiots.
I'm sticking up for the facts as you swerve the issue like Anthony Watson swerved the French today.

No factories were approved to manufacture the vaccine at the time that the UK and EU signed contracts with AstraZeneca. Both the UK and EU took a similar portfolio approach. AstraZeneca's UK contractor delivered. Astra-Zeneca's EU contractors have collectively under-delivered.

If you want to retrench to arguing that the EU was generally later in placing orders than the UK then I would agree with you. But that's not the issue under discussion on this occasion.
Old 13-03-2021, 23:57   #4074
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

The lateness of the EU’s commitment to signing contracts is of material interest though, because it means all the production facilities set up to fulfil EU orders are months behind those in the UK at getting set up and learning how to maximise yield. Clearly that’s not the only problem they’re having but it hasn’t helped. At the Dutch plant in question there may simply be a lack of experience in the necessary techniques required to get the bio-reactors to their optimum performance. We know that the industrial-scale process AstraZeneca developed from the Oxford “recipe” works because we have two locations in the UK churning it out in large quantities.
Old 14-03-2021, 00:17   #4075
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
The lateness of the EU’s commitment to signing contracts is of material interest though, because it means all the production facilities set up to fulfil EU orders are months behind those in the UK at getting set up and learning how to maximise yield. Clearly that’s not the only problem they’re having but it hasn’t helped. At the Dutch plant in question there may simply be a lack of experience in the necessary techniques required to get the bio-reactors to their optimum performance. We know that the industrial-scale process AstraZeneca developed from the Oxford “recipe” works because we have two locations in the UK churning it out in large quantities.
Timeliness is not in dispute, I reiterate that I agree on this point.

Seph was arguing that the EU had been at fault by:
1) Signing a contract when it knew it could not be fufilled.
2) Not mitigating the risks by signing contracts with other suppliers like Pfizer.

Both of these statements are wrong.
Old 14-03-2021, 00:25   #4076
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Timeliness is not in dispute, I reiterate that I agree on this point.

Seph was arguing that the EU had been at fault by:
1) Signing a contract when it knew it could not be fufilled.
2) Not mitigating the risks by signing contracts with other suppliers like Pfizer.

Both of these statements are wrong.
hat's not what I said. I actually said:

Quote:
And I'll amplify what I've maintained throughout this exchange about signing a contract when they knew it couldn't be fulfilled. The EC didn't do its due diligence on the means of production. Consequently, thousands more are dying than is the proportionate case here.

How you can sit and type the defensive stuff you're doing is beyond sensibility when the whole fiasco is staring us in our faces.

Old 14-03-2021, 00:48   #4077
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
They've not requested approval so that's not the case. It needs to be approved asap once the details are submitted.[COLOR="Silver"]
Not what I asked. Has the vaccine been produced?
Old 14-03-2021, 00:57   #4078
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Andrew's so disingenuous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1
They've not requested approval so that's not the case. It needs to be approved asap once the details are submitted.
The EC did not tie up that loose end. 3½ months into our vaccination programme, the production facilities upon which the EU is pinning its hopes have not been licensed - never mind they haven't applied. The EC should have been all over that.

Old 14-03-2021, 01:18   #4079
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:

And I'll amplify what I've maintained throughout this exchange about signing a contract when they knew it couldn't be fulfilled. The EC didn't do its due diligence on the means of production. Consequently, thousands more are dying than is the proportionate case here.

How you can sit and type the defensive stuff you're doing is beyond sensibility when the whole fiasco is staring us in our faces.
Neither the UK nor EU could have known how the production could have turned out at each plant when the contracts were signed with AstraZeneca. I doubt anyone in AstraZeneca or the factories could have known either.

It was a high-risk, high-reward game. Risk by both the UK and EU was mitigated by multiple vaccine suppliers (which you've so far failed to acknowledge as it doesn't fit your zero-risk-mitigation narrative) and multiple production plants.

The above does not undernine the fact that the EU was less agile than the UK in its procurement process.

---------- Post added at 00:15 ---------- Previous post was at 00:05 ----------

Quote:

The EC did not tie up that loose end. 3½ months into our vaccination programme, the production facilities upon which the EU is pinning its hopes have not been licensed - never mind they haven't applied. The EC should have been all over that.
I agree that they should have been all over that, although we don't know to what extent they were or they weren't over that. But that tangential point does not make your case that they knew the contract could not be fufilled. Only Captain Hindsight would know.

And you've yet to acknowledge that your point about no risk mitigation was similarly invalid.

---------- Post added at 00:18 ---------- Previous post was at 00:15 ----------

Quote:
That's a different question, no idea, sorry.
Old 14-03-2021, 08:40   #4080
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

All he can hear is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bx5ZsR8P48