Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2021, 19:28   #3631
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
So who failed here? It sounds like the heads of state are not representing their respective countries interests at the EU Council, and that's a problem...
Well, I think it’s fair to say that perhaps a year or two from now, when the UK is holding a full public inquiry into the government’s handling of the crisis, the same exercise will not be taking place in the EU ...

We may never know, however I think the beginning of the problem was that the prospect of a grand act of unity was too tempting to pass up, and the member states probably jumped at it without thinking it through too clearly. Once the programme was up and running, seeing as it is outside of the treaties and the usual established processes of the EU, it’s not clear to me what oversight mechanisms might have been available, though the member states ought to have been watching very closely.
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2021, 19:32   #3632
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

All very sad that folks are still trying to make Covid an EU/Brexit issue. It's a World issue where we need to act together. We'll never learn. Divide and conquer works for the virus too.
Old 11-02-2021, 21:30   #3633
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Well, I think it’s fair to say that perhaps a year or two from now, when the UK is holding a full public inquiry into the government’s handling of the crisis, the same exercise will not be taking place in the EU ...

We may never know, however I think the beginning of the problem was that the prospect of a grand act of unity was too tempting to pass up, and the member states probably jumped at it without thinking it through too clearly. Once the programme was up and running, seeing as it is outside of the treaties and the usual established processes of the EU, it’s not clear to me what oversight mechanisms might have been available, though the member states ought to have been watching very closely.
UK public enquiries are noticeable for dragging on and on - just look at Grenfell. Don't expect anything of note to happen during this term of Parliament.
Old 11-02-2021, 21:46   #3634
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I was thinking more like April/May last year. It’s all very well having a stock pile of ventilators now, so do we.

I meant when the Govt got lambasted last year for not joining the EU ventilator procurement scheme. At what time did those ventilators arrive? Was it before we increased ours.

By September we had 30,000 units.

---------- Post added at 21:46 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

This is the kind of thing that will get peoples backs up.

COVID-19: Restrictions could be in place until all adults are vaccinated, expert warns
http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-r...warns-12215570

Absolute nonsense.
Old 11-02-2021, 22:19   #3635
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

If only we could have foreseen that.
Old 11-02-2021, 23:00   #3636
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
All very sad that folks are still trying to make Covid an EU/Brexit issue. It's a World issue where we need to act together. We'll never learn. Divide and conquer works for the virus too.
Old 11-02-2021, 23:32   #3637
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
COVID-19: Restrictions could be in place until all adults are vaccinated, expert warns
http://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-r...warns-12215570
There is always one.

All adults will never vaccinated, there will always be those that are not.

That of course is before you even start thinking about those who turn 18 after the current programme of vaccinations has finished.

As the saying goes, an Ex is a has been, and a Spurt is a Drip under Pressure.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:58   #3638
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There is always one.

That of course is before you even start thinking about those who turn 18 after the current programme of vaccinations has finished.

I'm working on the basis it's a lazy headline and she means "have been offered the vaccine".

Even then, I hope restrictions end before then!
Old 12-02-2021, 10:32   #3639
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
There is always one.

I swear they are just doing this nonsense deliberately. Everyone knows not 100% of everyone is ever vaccinated but once you reach a level of herd immunity the virus becomes unable to sustain transmission and becomes vanishingly rare. So what is it? They think they won't reach herd immunity or they are now not willing to risk a anyone coming near a near extinct virus?
Old 12-02-2021, 11:10   #3640
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Talking heads for the sake of talking heads just to keep 24/7 news going. I'm weaning myself off the news.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:14   #3641
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
I swear they are just doing this nonsense deliberately. Everyone knows not 100% of everyone is ever vaccinated but once you reach a level of herd immunity the virus becomes unable to sustain transmission and becomes vanishingly rare. So what is it? They think they won't reach herd immunity or they are now not willing to risk a anyone coming near a near extinct virus?
I think the fear is the development of the new variants.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:20   #3642
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Wales hits target of offering Covid vaccines to first four priority groups

https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2021-...riority-groups

I go for mine Monday.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:56   #3643
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm working on the basis it's a lazy headline and she means "have been offered the vaccine".

Even then, I hope restrictions end before then!
Behavioural scientists would be all over the statement

"All adults who want the vaccine have had it"

It's optional? Okay wait there will I Google the merits of vaccination versus not getting it. What? There's a newer one coming in Autumn? Might as well wait then.

That's one of the more positive outcomes of googling the merits of vaccination or otherwise without going down the conspiracy theorists rabbit hole.

Anyone with medical reasons to not take it will be advised by professionals and anyone genuinely anti vax will not anyway. The last thing they want to do is nudge people against it.

As I've said before everyone should take it but you'll not hear anyone in authority speak in terms of it being optional unless outright asked "is it optional?".

---------- Post added at 11:56 ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
Bingo.
Old 12-02-2021, 12:35   #3644
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

The whole situation is very complex and there are multiple factors and situations that need to be looked at. For example why are cases in India dropping the way they are, why in other areas are cases climbing, why are fatalities higher is some areas than others in some groups than others? Is there any way to correlate results for a population group in one country to a similar group in another?

There really are so many variables it does get really hard to make plans and execute them. A further issue is that with wide spread media and reporting small anomalies are inflated. Statistically that may not be that important but it is to those involved, at what point does policy change to cover that anomaly? Is it if the group is "important" enough, or makes enough noise, or gets enough media attention?

What really needs to be made clear is why policies are in place and for how long and what is needed to change that policy. If the reason for lock down is to prevent the NHS being overwhelmed make that really clear and that simply preventing spread/death is "secondary". Also that vaccination isn't a golden bullet that will stop all deaths or major illness it may reduce it to a level that is statistically acceptable. But that is hard to say if you are in the situation of losing a loved one as it appears uncaring.

And there is also the personal factor in all of this. Even if the government had the perfect policy in place, vaccinations all going fine, quarantines. It doesn't take many silly sods breaking the rules in a dangerous way to restart the fires again.
Old 12-02-2021, 13:28   #3645
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Behavioural scientists would be all over the statement

"All adults who want the vaccine have had it"

It's optional? Okay wait there will I Google the merits of vaccination versus not getting it. What? There's a newer one coming in Autumn? Might as well wait then.

That's one of the more positive outcomes of googling the merits of vaccination or otherwise without going down the conspiracy theorists rabbit hole.

Anyone with medical reasons to not take it will be advised by professionals and anyone genuinely anti vax will not anyway. The last thing they want to do is nudge people against it.

As I've said before everyone should take it but you'll not hear anyone in authority speak in terms of it being optional unless outright asked "is it optional?".
Good point.

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 12:50 ----------

This thread is in danger of getting a bit cheerful so I thought I'd better share today's reminder of the huge economic cost the UK is facing.
Quote:
UK economy shrinks by most in 300 years

Gloomy outlook for 2021 after pandemic batters economy in 2020

UK economic output fell 9.9 per cent in 2020, the largest drop in 300 years and more than twice the fall during the financial crisis, laying bare the scale of the pandemic’s impact.

The economy grew more than expected in the fourth quarter despite extensive Covid-19 restrictions but remained smaller than before the pandemic. The outlook for the start of 2021 has darkened. Output expanded 1 per cent in the three months to December from the previous quarter, according to data from the Office for National Statistics — a stronger showing than the 0.5 per cent forecast by economists polled by Reuters.

But the figures released on Friday showed UK output was down 7.8 per cent from the final quarter of 2019, twice the decline in Germany and three times the drop in the US. The differences reflect long periods of tough restrictions in the UK as well as generous US stimulus plans and tax cuts in Germany.
https://www.ft.com/content/96e19afd-...e-a72bd1f60d3c

Last edited by 1andrew1; 12-02-2021 at 13:44.
Closed Thread