Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 21-12-2020, 12:11   #106
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf2007 View Post
Ok so quick update on this. Even though my hub4 doesn't have the latest firmware which would stop the ports 'unbonding' I went ahead with the setup anyway as figured I could at least test full speed for a few hours then it will drop down to one link so will be back to 950/52 which is what I had with just the AX86u and hub4 in modem mode.

Anyway, purchased the Mikrotik router and updated to the latest stable firmware and running in router mode. Configured the bond for two 1Gbps interfaces that were connected to the hub4. Bridged the bond (disabling arp) to the single interface that has a 10g copper module (also support 2.5g and 5g).

I then inside the Asus ax86u set the WAN port as the 2.5g port, connected with a cat6 cable to the Mikrotik router on its 10g copper module and confirmed that the Asus WAN port speed negotiated at 2.5g.

After rebooting everything and what seemed like 5 minutes, I got an Internet connection.

However, when testing with speed test I am getting 600/52 maximum!! tried removing one of the cables from the hub4 to Mikrotik but still no change. Not sure if the Mikrotik is restricting something as when I go direct from router's 2.5g wan port to hub4 (negotiated at 1Gbps) I get 950/52!!

only had limited time for testing so will try again later and report back..might also be better if and when vm deliver the firmware update to hub4.
Interesting, can I have screenshots of your config please?
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2021, 16:56   #107
Bort
cf.member

Bort is on a distinguished roadBort is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf2007 View Post
Ok so quick update on this. Even though my hub4 doesn't have the latest firmware which would stop the ports 'unbonding' I went ahead with the setup anyway as figured I could at least test full speed for a few hours then it will drop down to one link so will be back to 950/52 which is what I had with just the AX86u and hub4 in modem mode.

Anyway, purchased the Mikrotik router and updated to the latest stable firmware and running in router mode. Configured the bond for two 1Gbps interfaces that were connected to the hub4. Bridged the bond (disabling arp) to the single interface that has a 10g copper module (also support 2.5g and 5g).

I then inside the Asus ax86u set the WAN port as the 2.5g port, connected with a cat6 cable to the Mikrotik router on its 10g copper module and confirmed that the Asus WAN port speed negotiated at 2.5g.

After rebooting everything and what seemed like 5 minutes, I got an Internet connection.

However, when testing with speed test I am getting 600/52 maximum!! tried removing one of the cables from the hub4 to Mikrotik but still no change. Not sure if the Mikrotik is restricting something as when I go direct from router's 2.5g wan port to hub4 (negotiated at 1Gbps) I get 950/52!!

only had limited time for testing so will try again later and report back..might also be better if and when vm deliver the firmware update to hub4.
When I've done the same testing I get 350Mb/s per link (2 links) and not 1.2Gb/s but this is when the Hub is in Router mode.

In Modem Mode it's a different story but due to ARP issues I can't get it working consistently, I'm still on older firmware.
Bort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 02:40   #108
Bort
cf.member

Yesterday my Hub4 finally received the new firmware update which makes the port-aggregation work consistently and so I set it up and thought I'd share how I did it as I'm not using Mikrotik equipment instead I'm using just my normal pfSense router connected directly to the Hub4 (which is in modem mode).

So first of all within pfSense you can setup a round-robin LAGG from the Interfaces -> LAGGs menu (<RouterIP>/interfaces_lagg.php).

Obviously to use this you'll need multiple ethernet ports on your pfSense box to connect directly to the modem. You can use switches for this but I'm specifically detailing how to do this with just pfSense.

So my setup is 1 x 10Gb connection between my pfSense system and my home network (my entire home network is 10Gb wired).

Then for the Hub4 connection I used 4 x 1Gb ethernet. Now this is important because when I used only 2 x 1Gb connections I couldn't obtain more than 980 Mbps no matter what I did. So this was a 40 Mb improvement over using a single cable but not the 1.15-1.20 Gbps I was hoping for.

After a lot of trial and error I decided to connect 4 x 1Gb connections just as a test and instantly I was getting peak speeds of 1.22 Gbps within the pfSense interface and 1.15 Gbps to 1.20 Gbps in various speed tests that I conducted.

Here are some screenshots of those speeds:
Inside pfSense Directly:

Speedtest.net Result:

(You may notice in the above screenshot it shows the ISP as Datacamp Limited and not Virgin Media that's because the above test result is actually over an OpenVPN connection and not conducted directly.)

I did also do a plain DSLreports test over the raw connection without the VPN active and it hit 1140 Mbps which resulted in the test halting and them displaying me this message:

Which I found rather humorous.

So that's all there is to it really, setup your LAGG as Round Robin, select all the interfaces you intend to connect to your modem (I recommend four due to what I said above regarding performance) hit save, specify that new LAGG Interface as your WAN on pfSense and you're off to the races.

Since I cloned the MAC address from my normal interface to the LAGG (this can all be done in the pfSense Interface GUI) I was able to get the connection up and running without even rebooting my modem. If you're using a different MAC to the normal one you will need to restart the modem.

One last thing to note. Round Robin LAGG setups can be quite CPU intensive due to the packets arriving out of order requiring the CPU to reorder them and when you're dealing with a 1.15-1.20 Gbps data flow.. that's a lot of packets to potentially receive out of order.

I noticed my pfSense router which is equipped with a 3.3GHz Core i5 Quad Core from 2014 was reaching 30% to 50% CPU usage when maxing the connection out when usually it's around 5%. I did not experience any packet loss though which is excellent.

I bring this up as you may need a decent processor if you're doing this in pfSense and in my case I may even need to upgrade the CPU cooler I'm using as it got rather toasty when running a sustained 60GB file transfer test handling a heavier load than it usually does.
Old 12-01-2021, 11:58   #109
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

That's great news and more cost effective than having to buy dedicated kit.

My four LAN cables on the Mikrotik 4011 are split 2 and 2 across each pair of switch chips and the CPU hits around 9% when maxed out with round-robin bonding. Chassis is cool to the touch unlike the SFP+ modules which are hot.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2021, 20:18   #110
Tazz
cf.member

Services: BT Infinity 2 80/20 Sipgate VOIP
Tazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about themTazz has a spectacular aura about them

Got my update seems stable so far. Also saw someone posting stats from a hub 4 on the VM forums with 6 upstream channels couple days ago. This can only be good news.
Tazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 08:45   #111
olisun
cf.member

olisun is on a distinguished roadolisun is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
Also saw someone posting stats from a hub 4 on the VM forums with 6 upstream channels couple days ago. This can only be good news.
Sounds like in preparation for the full 10% or faster upload speeds.
olisun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 08:54   #112
Bort
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olisun View Post
Sounds like in preparation for the full 10% or faster upload speeds.
I've seen a few forum threads lately with people claiming multiple customer service representatives offered them 100Mb upload if they took 1Gig (supposedly offered to people thinking of quitting the service entirely).

All unverified but if it's true I'd certainly be happy!
Old 15-01-2021, 09:26   #113
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Does anyone know how the rollout is going?
I can still only get 500Mb here.
I figure, based on the actual figures I’m getting, I might actually get 500Mb if I had their 1Gb service...
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 11:38   #114
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I've been hoping to find some sort of timetable of the rollout but there doesnt seem to be one.
Old 15-01-2021, 12:22   #115
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
I've been hoping to find some sort of timetable of the rollout but there doesnt seem to be one.
Yeah same. Would be good to know even rough timescales for regions/areas
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 17:32   #116
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I think the average for announcing new cities has been every 3-4 months on average
Old 16-01-2021, 00:28   #117
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

There wont be a public release of timetable for commercial reasons, the rollout is going well but there is substantial work required for this upgrade, some areas are easier than others! An area wont be announced until it is ready for "launch".

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 13:51   #118
david_w2k
cf.addict

david_w2k is on a distinguished roaddavid_w2k is on a distinguished road

I've noticed that on the 'My Account' page I now have a banner saying Gig1 is available in your area... but it hasnt been announced and I cannot buy it. I assume this is more likely to be an error rather than a sign it is coming to my area?
david_w2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 22:39   #119
broadbandking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media V6 XL TV - 1Gb Broadband
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array
broadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze arraybroadbandking has a bronze array

Perfect speeds here on 1gig.
Old 07-02-2021, 23:06   #120
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbandking View Post
Perfect speeds here on 1gig.
Judging by my speeds on 500Mb I reckon I should get 400-500Mb on 1Gb if it ever gets here.
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote