Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 1gig Rollout getting faster

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

1gig Rollout getting faster

Old 02-12-2020, 16:41   #91
Zarf2007
cf.member

Zarf2007 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 1gig Rollout getting faster

Ok as per rtho782's setup, I plan to adapt this to work with the following:

LAN <- Asus AX86u Wireless router's 2.5Gbps WAN port <- mikrotik switch 10Gbps copper SFP module - (supports 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps modes) / 2 x 1Gbps copper SFPs <- SHUB4.

I would then create the same bond group on the mikrotik for the two ports connecting to the SHUB4 and bridge that to the port with the 10Gbps SFP copper module), cat6 cables will be used for the connections between the AX86U, Mikrotik and SHUB4.

I should then be able to max out the bandwith using the 4 x 1Gbps LAN ports and WIFI6.

Total cost would be £220 for the mikrotik switch + network optics, £20 for cat6 cables and around £240 for the Asus Router (though I bagged it for £180 on Amazon recently so the prices fluctuate).

Hoping this works! will post back with results when I receive the equipment.

Last edited by Zarf2007; 02-12-2020 at 17:09.
Zarf2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2020, 22:10   #92
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Check your Hub 4 firmware before proceeding and if it's older than 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20 your bonded interface will fail after a few hours. Nothing to do with ARP (but worth investigating - thanks) its a flaw in the Hub's linux lan drivers, fixed in the version listed above.

Last edited by Rankrotten; 02-12-2020 at 22:14.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 15:45   #93
Zarf2007
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankrotten View Post
Check your Hub 4 firmware before proceeding and if it's older than 01.02.065.21.EURO.PC20 your bonded interface will fail after a few hours. Nothing to do with ARP (but worth investigating - thanks) its a flaw in the Hub's linux lan drivers, fixed in the version listed above.
will do, btw does that firmware version fix the issue where the hub4 web interface can no longer be accessed on its 192.168.100.1 address when in modem mode?
Old 03-12-2020, 18:47   #94
Rankrotten
Artist of Light and Shade

Services: Gig 1
Rankrotten is on a distinguished roadRankrotten is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf2007 View Post
will do, btw does that firmware version fix the issue where the hub4 web interface can no longer be accessed on its 192.168.100.1 address when in modem mode?
Yes it seems to fix it. Was iffy before that.
Rankrotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 20:17   #95
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
1gig Rollout getting faster
Still waiting on it to arrive.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 07:32   #96
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Ive learnt from experience that Nottingham is usually one of the last to get anything
Old 06-12-2020, 23:10   #97
bbxxl
cf.addict

bbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nicebbxxl is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky Trevor View Post
Ive learnt from experience that Nottingham is usually one of the last to get anything
You have 600, I’m still stuck on 500
bbxxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:40   #98
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

I believe that the roll out of 600 is due to be completed by March 2021 and 1 gig by the end of 2021.
Old 07-12-2020, 15:58   #99
Hexxeh
cf.member

Hexxeh is an unknown quantity at this point

We've had a series of outages in the past week (though nothing showing up on service status), and then another extended (3 hour plus) outage today which did show up on service status.

Interestingly I noticed afterwards that I had a new IP with a hostname of a completely different format (specifying "v4wan", so maybe part of IPv6 upgrades too?), and the CMTS MAC address is different (but still within a Cisco owned OUI when looking it up).

Does this typically happen shortly before Gig1 is made available to an area? Where I used to live this made the 200->350mbit upgrade available a few weeks after.
Hexxeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 17:41   #100
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxeh View Post
We've had a series of outages in the past week (though nothing showing up on service status), and then another extended (3 hour plus) outage today which did show up on service status.

Interestingly I noticed afterwards that I had a new IP with a hostname of a completely different format (specifying "v4wan", so maybe part of IPv6 upgrades too?), and the CMTS MAC address is different (but still within a Cisco owned OUI when looking it up).

Does this typically happen shortly before Gig1 is made available to an area? Where I used to live this made the 200->350mbit upgrade available a few weeks after.
I had similar changing my IP a few months back (although I didn't check the CMTS MAC before/after) and no sign of gig1 so I don't think it's any sort of imminent sign as still no gig1 here.

That said, they like to release large areas at the same time for gig1 so it could be to do with gig1 but it might be you're the first in a massive area to have your CMTS upgraded and you'll have to wait for all the others to be done before they release it.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 17:52   #101
Hexxeh
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I had similar changing my IP a few months back (although I didn't check the CMTS MAC before/after) and no sign of gig1 so I don't think it's any sort of imminent sign as still no gig1 here.

That said, they like to release large areas at the same time for gig1 so it could be to do with gig1 but it might be you're the first in a massive area to have your CMTS upgraded and you'll have to wait for all the others to be done before they release it.
That makes sense, I was previously on CMTS 23 for my area and now I'm on CMTS 26 so I guess there's a whole bunch yet to go, assuming those are sequential.

Alternatively maybe they never re-use IDs so many of the lower numbers could be decommissioned and there's only a handful to be upgraded. Very little public info on this unsurprisingly...
Old 07-12-2020, 18:06   #102
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Personally I think it will be a wider area than those numbers will suggest, for me I can see "East of England" being one block for gig1 release, covering everything from Norwich to Cambridge to Chemsford, and Colchester and Ipswich on the way back up.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 20:05   #103
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexxeh View Post
Alternatively maybe they never re-use IDs so many of the lower numbers could be decommissioned and there's only a handful to be upgraded.
That is what happens. And there are far fewer CMTSs now than there used to be.

It does sound like your area got resegmented today. There's loads of it going on this week.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 22:13   #104
Hexxeh
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
That is what happens. And there are far fewer CMTSs now than there used to be.

It does sound like your area got resegmented today. There's loads of it going on this week.
Thanks for the info! Doesn't appear to have helped, it just dropped again... unfortunately right as the call center closed so I can't get through to anyone. Must be the 7-8th time in the last couple days it's gone down.
Old 21-12-2020, 10:28   #105
Zarf2007
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarf2007 View Post
Ok as per rtho782's setup, I plan to adapt this to work with the following:

LAN <- Asus AX86u Wireless router's 2.5Gbps WAN port <- mikrotik switch 10Gbps copper SFP module - (supports 2.5Gbps and 5Gbps modes) / 2 x 1Gbps copper SFPs <- SHUB4.

I would then create the same bond group on the mikrotik for the two ports connecting to the SHUB4 and bridge that to the port with the 10Gbps SFP copper module), cat6 cables will be used for the connections between the AX86U, Mikrotik and SHUB4.

I should then be able to max out the bandwith using the 4 x 1Gbps LAN ports and WIFI6.

Total cost would be £220 for the mikrotik switch + network optics, £20 for cat6 cables and around £240 for the Asus Router (though I bagged it for £180 on Amazon recently so the prices fluctuate).

Hoping this works! will post back with results when I receive the equipment.

Ok so quick update on this. Even though my hub4 doesn't have the latest firmware which would stop the ports 'unbonding' I went ahead with the setup anyway as figured I could at least test full speed for a few hours then it will drop down to one link so will be back to 950/52 which is what I had with just the AX86u and hub4 in modem mode.

Anyway, purchased the Mikrotik router and updated to the latest stable firmware and running in router mode. Configured the bond for two 1Gbps interfaces that were connected to the hub4. Bridged the bond (disabling arp) to the single interface that has a 10g copper module (also support 2.5g and 5g).

I then inside the Asus ax86u set the WAN port as the 2.5g port, connected with a cat6 cable to the Mikrotik router on its 10g copper module and confirmed that the Asus WAN port speed negotiated at 2.5g.

After rebooting everything and what seemed like 5 minutes, I got an Internet connection.

However, when testing with speed test I am getting 600/52 maximum!! tried removing one of the cables from the hub4 to Mikrotik but still no change. Not sure if the Mikrotik is restricting something as when I go direct from router's 2.5g wan port to hub4 (negotiated at 1Gbps) I get 950/52!!

only had limited time for testing so will try again later and report back..might also be better if and when vm deliver the firmware update to hub4.

Last edited by Zarf2007; 21-12-2020 at 10:58.