Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Running Old Windows

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Running Old Windows

Old 28-05-2020, 12:47   #1
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Running Old Windows

<Moved from Website Discussion on our False Positive>

PAUL: Yes your right.. Most people dont care today,they will just tell people to do whatever is easiest FOR THEM,they dont care if an individual is having problems.... I find this mostly from people in the US but I have had a bad experience from a canadian company also recently which is sad.... (They just up and dropped the mobile interface on the email I was using 6+ years and I cant use my account now on that site as the desktop interface only works on newer browsers)

They dont care......... I tried fighting with them over it...... "You should be able to access the desktop interface on any browser" YEAH NEWER BROWSERS!!! (Where the mobile interfaced worked on all browsers AND WASNT BOTHERING ANYONE)

People really suck................ THEY MAKE THINGS HARDER FOR PEOPLE FOR NO REASON!!!!!

Last edited by Dude111; 28-05-2020 at 12:51.
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 28-05-2020, 13:19   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Website Unsafe Message (Microsoft Browsers)

Dude it maybe a pain but you can't live in the dark ages forever and expect everything to stay supported, it's time to upgrade
Old 28-05-2020, 13:22   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I only use Microsoft Defender, I had no issues, even if I did I would treat it as a False positive.
Old 28-05-2020, 13:23   #4
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Snoopz is right. Your browser isn't as secure and upto date so it comes to a point when a site needs to focus on their on security rather than allowing people to use out of date browsers.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 13:24   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Dude it maybe a pain but you can't live in the dark ages forever and expect everything to stay supported, it's time to upgrade
choose a different path, do not turn to the dark side

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I only use Microsoft Defender, I had no issues, even if I did I would treat it as a False positive.
i think everyone could, the problem was that you had to manually override it for every single mouse click/link/new page
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 14:19   #6
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
People really suck................ THEY MAKE THINGS HARDER FOR PEOPLE FOR NO REASON!!!!!
No, there's perfectly good reasons for doing this: Old browsers are insecure. They are insecure for you, the user and insecure for the sites you're visiting.

There's also a huge cost to supporting older browsers you don't seem to appreciate. If you want to add a new feature to your website, it's easy enough to do - usually there'll be a library that already does it, you just drop it on and away you go - except it'll not work on every browser out of the box, you'll need to test it and tweak it so it works on all sorts - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE (maybe), Safari, their mobile equivalents, there's nearly 10 different permutations to test and we're not even talking about older versions yet. Want to test the latest and the previous releases of those? Now you've got 20 permutations. This doesn't include some of the more obscure browsers out there, either.

But wait, what about different Operating systems? Let's not forget Windows and MacOS, so now it's more like 25-30. Now you want us to test on a really old version of whatever it is you're using? How many permutations is that? 50? 100? If you're lucky enough to have a QA department, you're now spending most of your QA budget checking browsers that a single-digit number of people are using. Thousands of £ a year to keep a few people happy.

And the truth is, the reason things only work on newer browsers is because those newer browsers add functionality to make it easier to build web features, things that would take a developer a week to do can be done in a single line - but not all browsers support all features equally.

But what do you do when most browsers support something, but a slightly older one does not? Maybe you wait, or maybe you pay a developer a week's salary to implement it. But if that older one is a couple of years old and used by one or two people? You draw the line, you ask those people to upgrade, you stop testing for it and you move on - because the cost of upkeep is not worth it. The cost of testing is not worth it.

So no, it's not "for no good reason", it's for plenty of good reason.

The web is a constantly shifting, moving and evolving platform. Move with it, or get left behind.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 16:20   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
No, there's perfectly good reasons for doing this: Old browsers are insecure. They are insecure for you, the user and insecure for the sites you're visiting.

There's also a huge cost to supporting older browsers you don't seem to appreciate. If you want to add a new feature to your website, it's easy enough to do - usually there'll be a library that already does it, you just drop it on and away you go - except it'll not work on every browser out of the box, you'll need to test it and tweak it so it works on all sorts - Chrome, Firefox, Edge, IE (maybe), Safari, their mobile equivalents, there's nearly 10 different permutations to test and we're not even talking about older versions yet. Want to test the latest and the previous releases of those? Now you've got 20 permutations. This doesn't include some of the more obscure browsers out there, either.

But wait, what about different Operating systems? Let's not forget Windows and MacOS, so now it's more like 25-30. Now you want us to test on a really old version of whatever it is you're using? How many permutations is that? 50? 100? If you're lucky enough to have a QA department, you're now spending most of your QA budget checking browsers that a single-digit number of people are using. Thousands of £ a year to keep a few people happy.

And the truth is, the reason things only work on newer browsers is because those newer browsers add functionality to make it easier to build web features, things that would take a developer a week to do can be done in a single line - but not all browsers support all features equally.

But what do you do when most browsers support something, but a slightly older one does not? Maybe you wait, or maybe you pay a developer a week's salary to implement it. But if that older one is a couple of years old and used by one or two people? You draw the line, you ask those people to upgrade, you stop testing for it and you move on - because the cost of upkeep is not worth it. The cost of testing is not worth it.

So no, it's not "for no good reason", it's for plenty of good reason.

The web is a constantly shifting, moving and evolving platform. Move with it, or get left behind.
I believe Dude is still shockingly on Windows 98se still or possibly XP, we have tried explaining why this is bad but unfortunately he thinks his system is secure.
Old 28-05-2020, 16:48   #8
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Ouch. XP I could almost understand, especially if you're pulling in updates from the POS systems, but 98 there's no excuse.
Old 28-05-2020, 20:16   #9
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I believe Dude is still shockingly on Windows 98se still or possibly XP, we have tried explaining why this is bad but unfortunately he thinks his system is secure.
I'd expect Dude to have less 'security' issues than those on Win 10

Probably any major issues with those old systems were sorted years ago, whereas they're finding new exploits daily/weekly with the new one
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2020, 23:56   #10
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Probably any major issues with those old systems were sorted years ago

Except it has been EOL since 2006, so anything found after that has not been "sorted".

Also bold of you to assume that exploits for Windows 10 don't also affect 98, you'd be surprised!
Old 29-05-2020, 05:17   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ
I believe Dude is still shockingly on Windows 98se
Yes I love 98se SnoopZ...

Thanx for your kindness
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 10:39   #12
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I use Windows 10 but have the look and classic windows theme shell for desktop. I just don’t like the look of Windows 10 clunkiness.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 11:02   #13
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Except it has been EOL since 2006, so anything found after that has not been "sorted".

Also bold of you to assume that exploits for Windows 10 don't also affect 98, you'd be surprised!

To be honest, I'm rarely surprised at anything concerning windows - especially the later versions. Every 'improvement' brings more 'exploits' with it, and Microsoft show great keenness in releasing patch after patch to address the stuff that they missed by pushing out poorly tested 'fixes'

I've worked at companies where the IT management insist on the 'auto update' being always on (can you turn it off in the latest OS? ), which has led to massive and costly downtime when the update borked the whole system

Regarding the EOL slant, newer isn't always better for what/how you use it. When my Plasma TV dies, I'll be looking to purchase a used one to replace it, not a brand new 'bells n whistles' TV with poorer performance.
The Ford Capri EOL was late 70's but I'd love to own one instead of this modern masterpiece that has innumerable gadgets and features that are simply more things to go wrong and expensive to fix . . . and I can't easily fix myself

Turned into a bit of a 'get it off your chest' rant, sorry, but not everyone has the need or desire to keep up with the Jonses
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 11:30   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Me neither. The first thing i did is install an app to make the start menu and everything look like windows 7.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2020, 11:36   #15
Kushan

Quote:
To be honest, I'm rarely surprised at anything concerning windows - especially the later versions. Every 'improvement' brings more 'exploits' with it, and Microsoft show great keenness in releasing patch after patch to address the stuff that they missed by pushing out poorly tested 'fixes'
While I won't defend Microsoft's handling of some Windows 10 updates, I'm happy to give them some leeway due to the sheer complexity of Windows these days. People like to rag on Windows versus other OS's like OSX and Linux, but neither of the latter still run applications made 20 or even 30 years ago. Hell, OSX drops support faster than most people change shoes. Window's biggest flaw is also its biggest advantage.

Quote:
I've worked at companies where the IT management insist on the 'auto update' being always on (can you turn it off in the latest OS? ), which has led to massive and costly downtime when the update borked the whole system
Let's be fair here, if you've got mission critical systems, you don't put them on auto update, you leverage WSUS or similar and you test those updates in a QA environment before deploying them, or roll them out to a few canary machines first. You just don't let changes happen to those systems without your involvement.

Quote:
Regarding the EOL slant, newer isn't always better for what/how you use it. When my Plasma TV dies, I'll be looking to purchase a used one to replace it, not a brand new 'bells n whistles' TV with poorer performance.
The Ford Capri EOL was late 70's but I'd love to own one instead of this modern masterpiece that has innumerable gadgets and features that are simply more things to go wrong and expensive to fix . . . and I can't easily fix myself

Turned into a bit of a 'get it off your chest' rant, sorry, but not everyone has the need or desire to keep up with the Jonses
I agree that newer isn't always better, but that's why Windows 10 has LTSB editions that don't get the major yearly/twice-yearly updates - that are supported for 10 years. Plenty of time to test and upgrade. If you actually vaguely want to keep up to date, you've also got separate Enterprise editions that have 30months support between major updates.

There's really no excuse for any business to get caught out with updates when you have plenty of options to suit your patch cycle, you just need competent IT personnel.

Now on the home/consumer side of things....that is a different story for sure! But again, way prior to Windows 10 people have a habit of ignoring updates, causing mass botnets of unpatched machines which just makes things worse for everyone. I don't blame Microsoft for trying to force people to update, but again they did it in too heavy-handed a way and caused too much pushback.