Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky to launch Mobile network? Not virtual network either...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q

Sky to launch Mobile network? Not virtual network either...

Old 18-06-2012, 07:55   #16
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Telly_ is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Sky to launch Mobile network? Not virtual network either...

The rules of typical market saturation do not apply to mobile phones. Customers tend to upgrade every 18-24 months and start new contracts.

So 2 million customers sign up today, you effectively get the same 2 million customers again in 24 months. New phones/New deals means customers are always swapping networks. Sky will have a mobile network, you're just going to have accept it.

We were once told they would never match VM for BB speeds, they now can. We were told they will never match VM for VOD, they have. An they WILL have a mobile network.
Telly_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-06-2012, 15:48   #17
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

We'll see, too little too late to be honest
m419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 15:52   #18
Telly_
Permanently Banned

When the Sky mobile network launches I wonder if they will offer something similar to 3Uk with all you can eat data? I hope they offer the latest phones, I know some networks don't even offer the iPhone on contract to this day.

Its going to happen an I will be one of its first customers.
Old 18-06-2012, 15:58   #19
m419
Inactive

Services: BT Broadband,BT Anytime calls,Sky entertainment extra HD,Vodafone pay monthly
m419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quadsm419 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly Bear View Post
When the Sky mobile network launches I wonder if they will offer something similar to 3Uk with all you can eat data? I hope they offer the latest phones, I know some networks don't even offer the iPhone on contract to this day.

Its going to happen an I will be one of its first customers.
If it launches it as virtual network, it will not offer the iphone. If it ever launches there will be very little price difference and there will be very little about it that will be unique, which is why they haven't launched it before as they wouldn't be able to afford it
Old 18-06-2012, 16:03   #20
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Like I said when it rolls out I expect it to be a very successful network and rapidly become a serious contender maybe even the second most popular network in the UK with 3 years.

Just like Sky are now the most popular tripple pay provider in the UK,I expect them to be the most successful quad-play provider.
Old 18-06-2012, 16:14   #21
m419
Inactive

As you said sky always follow what they say and they have already announced that they do not intend to offer mobile services.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...-cards-1082318
Old 18-06-2012, 16:16   #22
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Sky will have a mobile network within 2 years,
Only if they use one of the existing networks, like Tesco Mobile do.
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 16:26   #23
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by m419 View Post
As you said sky always follow what they say and they have already announced that they do not intend to offer mobile services.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-...-cards-1082318
When Sky first met with Thecloud they denied they were looking to buy as this can send share prices really high forcing companies to pay more. But look what happened there??

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Deegan View Post
Only if they use one of the existing networks, like Tesco Mobile do.
Yeah,Virginmedia use a virtual network also piggy backing onT-mobile so perhaps. I really think some kind of 3uk=Sky tie up would really suit both companys.
Old 18-06-2012, 17:15   #24
m419
Inactive

Quote:
When Sky first met with Thecloud they denied they were looking to buy as this can send share prices really high forcing companies to pay more. But look what happened there??

---------- Post added at 16:26 ---------- Previous post was at 16:26 ----------

Yeah,Virginmedia use a virtual network also piggy backing onT-mobile so perhaps. I really think some kind of 3uk=Sky tie up would really suit both companys.
The majority of Virgin Media customers do not subcribe to Virgin Mobile nor do they have TV,Internet and phone, I know a few people who just have the phone while some just have TV and many people just have Virgin Broadband and Sky TV as they either get a substantial amount of mobile minutes or use something like Vonage.

I don't like tripple or quad play offers myself and sky knows this as well which is why they now offer phone and broadband to non-TV customers as well, so they are really not bothered by Virgin Media's quad play offering, 5 years ago in 2007 maybe but not now.

I personally found Sky Talk to be non-beneficial to me and find BT cheaper, £10.75 per month line rental(1 year line rental saver) and free anytime calls plan and free calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers on a 12 month contract. Virgin and Sky charge for 0845 calls and 3 free calling features when taken with Broadband of which I chose Call Waiting,Call diversion and unlimited ring back on top of the free caller display with BT privacy.

And to be honest with you, most people have Sky because they cannot get a particular channel or exclusive content on Virgin or because they cannot get Cable TV where they live. Not because they like the Sky brand or because of tripple play offerings. I know a lot of people who have Sky and ordered Sky talk and broadband but were put on Sky connect which is very slow and more expensive than BT as it is purposely undercut by BT.

Therefore Sky mobile would attract a relatively small amount of users as it would have nothing unique about it.

It would also interfere with the networks who already sell and promote Sky Go products and as you maybe aware they have a steady amount revenue from this source.
Old 18-06-2012, 17:21   #25
Telly_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
The majority of Virgin Media customers do not subcribe to Virgin Mobile nor do they have TV,Internet and phone, I know a few people who just have the phone while some just have TV and many people just have Virgin Broadband and Sky TV as they either get a substantial amount of mobile minutes or use something like Vonage.

I don't like tripple or quad play offers myself and sky knows this as well which is why they now offer phone and broadband to non-TV customers as well, so they are really not bothered by Virgin Media's quad play offering, 5 years ago in 2007 maybe but not now.

I personally found Sky Talk to be non-beneficial to me and find BT cheaper, £10.75 per month line rental(1 year line rental saver) and free anytime calls plan and free calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers on a 12 month contract. Virgin and Sky charge for 0845 calls and 3 free calling features when taken with Broadband of which I chose Call Waiting,Call diversion and unlimited ring back on top of the free caller display with BT privacy.

And to be honest with you, most people have Sky because they cannot get a particular channel or exclusive content on Virgin or because they cannot get Cable TV where they live. Not because they like the Sky brand or because of tripple play offerings. I know a lot of people who have Sky and ordered Sky talk and broadband but were put on Sky connect which is very slow and more expensive than BT as it is purposely undercut by BT.

Therefore Sky mobile would attract a relatively small amount of users as it would have nothing unique about it.

It would also interfere with the networks who already sell and promote Sky Go products and as you maybe aware they have a steady amount revenue from this source.
You do understand your opinions are just your opinions? You seem to live in a cuckoo land where what you think some how becomes fact.

I live in a VM area and have tripple play from Sky so do a lot of people round here. I xan't wait to get Sky mobile and I bet with 2 years it would be the second most popular network in the UK.
Old 18-06-2012, 17:36   #26
m419
Inactive

It is you that is in cuckoo land with fantasies that are also not based on fact, there is already too much competition and you can ask others on here for there opinion as well, why do you think not many people have commented on this?
Old 18-06-2012, 17:40   #27
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
The rules of typical market saturation do not apply to mobile phones. Customers tend to upgrade every 18-24 months and start new contracts.

So 2 million customers sign up today, you effectively get the same 2 million customers again in 24 months. New phones/New deals means customers are always swapping networks. Sky will have a mobile network, you're just going to have accept it.

We were once told they would never match VM for BB speeds, they now can. We were told they will never match VM for VOD, they have. An they WILL have a mobile network.
Both of those are your opinions. They are not fact. VM has around 7,000 VOD items and sky has LESS than half that.

Also VMs top speed is 100Mb soon to be 120Mb, how can Sky match that just now??

Quote:
You do understand your opinions are just your opinions? You seem to live in a cuckoo land where what you think some how becomes fact.

I live in a VM area and have tripple play from Sky so do a lot of people round here. I xan't wait to get Sky mobile and I bet with 2 years it would be the second most popular network in the UK.
Pot.....Kettle

Also IF Sky were ever to get into the Mobile market it would take them a lot longer than two years to become the 5th most popular network never mind the 2nd.

As you mentioned to an other poster, that is just your opinion not fact at all.
Old 18-06-2012, 18:04   #28
Tim Deegan
cf.mega poster

Services: 3 phone lines, 100mb broadband, and TV x2 (including one Tivo)
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze age
Tim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze ageTim Deegan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
I'm not talking about Virgin Mobile.

If there was room in the market, then Virgin Mobile would be huge by now. But there isn't, so they aren't.

I used to use VM for my BB and landlines, and had TV with Sky. I then played them off against each other, and VM saved me a fortune. The only down side was less TV channels, but most of those that I don't get now, I didn't watch anyway. As for the Tivo, it leaves the Sky+ HD standing.

I tried 3 once for my mobile, and it was crap. So I wouldn't use any company connected with them again.

I doubt I would ever consider going back to Sky for any service, as long as there is a link to Murdoch.

---------- Post added at 18:04 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Quote:
Like I said when it rolls out I expect it to be a very successful network and rapidly become a serious contender maybe even the second most popular network in the UK with 3 years.

Just like Sky are now the most popular tripple pay provider in the UK,I expect them to be the most successful quad-play provider.
You really do live in fantasy land.

Why don't you buy shares in Sky then?
Tim Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 18:53   #29
m419
Inactive

BT is the one to watch, they have spent millions on football rights, they are adding live tv channels FX,Gold,Alibi and a few more, how long before they have a full range of tv channels, they have even teamed up with YouView, and there will be a monopoly in rural areas of fibre broadband by BT if they get there own way which is likely as since ofcom took over oftel, BT have mostly got there own way.

BT already have agreements with Vodafone to offer a virtual network and currently provide mobile broadband in addition to BT openzone which is much bigger than The cloud.

And finally BT euipment is in nearly home, so they call the shots on anyone using the network, undercutting any ISP who uses it.

BT is the largest internet provider in the UK followed by Cable and Wireless Worldwide and Virgin Media, even TalkTalk is bigger than Sky broadband/easynet

sky have a lot of competition on there hands and when it comes to fibre optic broadband, BT and Virgin pull the strings.
Old 18-06-2012, 19:27   #30
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
BT is the largest internet provider in the UK followed by Cable and Wireless Worldwide and Virgin Media, even TalkTalk is bigger than Sky broadband/easynet

sky have a lot of competition on there hands and when it comes to fibre optic broadband, BT and Virgin pull the strings.
Considering BT is a telecoms business and has always done phone and Internet the same as VM previously (TW,NTL) it's hardly surprising is it , even Talk Talk came to market in 2003 some 3 years before BSKYB offered its own telephone and broadband packages.

Figures from May 2012 had Sky on 3.8 million BB subscribers approximately 200,000 behind Talk Talk and 500,000 behind VM it is also now the nations largest triple play provider not bad saying they only added their own phone and BB products to their range some 6 years ago.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote