Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Poor Freeview reception..

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Poor Freeview reception..

Old 02-05-2009, 01:06   #16
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Poor Freeview reception..

Based on what you've posted in this thread, I'd say that is definitely worth a try. We don't give money-back guarantees on this forum though.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-05-2009, 01:17   #17
Jay6
Inactive

Services: Humax Freesat+ and Sky Digital sub.
Jay6 is an unknown quantity at this point

@nogrodg ..i see what you're saying about the wideband thing. That does make sense.. Not thought of it that way before. (The 'elements' are the pairs of forks that run along the longest part of the aerial right?) I'm thinking that i'm going to go the compass/DIY route. I'm determined to get it sorted myself. It's fast becoming a vendetta. Lol.

---------- Post added at 23:17 ---------- Previous post was at 23:14 ----------

@Chris. No worries. I won't sue if it doesn't work, lol. I will come back and post how it goes either way though. ..right, I think that's everything, lol. Thanks to everyone who offered help and advice. Was greatly received.
Jay6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:18   #18
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Group C/D plus masthead amp would be the best bet. Group E does cover the required channels but they are more difficult to get hold of. Best of luck
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 01:25   #19
Jay6
Inactive

Thanks. ..if I come back praising the joys of TrueMovies you'll know i just threw in the towel and got freesat instead. Lol.
Old 04-05-2009, 16:29   #20
Jay6
Inactive

Thumbs up Re: Poor Freeview reception..

*Success!!*

Woo hoo! Based on advice from nodrogd and Chris, I got my freeview box sorted and can now happily watch all channels! ..I went into a local independant tv and electronics shop. I asked for a high gain group c/d aerial, with a mast head amplifier. I settled on a 91 element aerial which cost me £51.99. I took it up into the loft wired it all together. Then i came back down and re-tuned my box. I was expecting to have to keep moving the aerial until i got it right, but no. All the channels tuned in straight away! Best 52quid i've ever spent! Lol! ...big big big big big thanks to the two of you for helping. Mission accomplished.
Old 05-05-2009, 15:13   #21
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Happy to help - glad it worked out for you.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 18:35   #22
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Glad to be of assistance - Happy viewing !!
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote