Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Sky Appreciation thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Sky Appreciation thread

Old 01-03-2007, 23:45   #46
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Sky Appreciation thread

Sky+ still has the £10/month sub if you don't subscribe to premiums...same as always.

Rumours abound that's it's going to be scrapped completely though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinglebarb View Post
Also TBR remember in 12 months your warrenty ends and you have to pay to get it fixed. This is why I left Sky I had intermitant picture problems and Sky wanted to charge to come out and have a look
I know people who've phoned up Sky, & simply threatened to leave for cable if Sky don't fix the STB for free, & got it sorted.

Also, would you be able to use the good old Sale of Goods Act or one of the other relevant consumer laws for something like that? Seeing as things like 12 month manufacturer warranties are in addition to your statutory rights as a consumer, & if something breaks down, within a reasonable period (up to 6 years depending on what it is), then it's up to the seller/supplier to sort it out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
Sky's router has a custom firmware in it, I'm thinking it is cutting out due to overheating.

You can flash it with different firmware.

Also possible to extract the ADSL username/password from it, & then use a different router of your own choosing.

I'm still using the Sky one at the moment, although it does seem to enjoy rebooting.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 01-03-2007, 23:49   #47
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Been on Sky+ (and Multiroom) for 4 months now, and quite happy with it.

I don't agree with what Sky have done in respect of their channels, but I have no complaints about the service I get from them.

(JFYI, I still have VM broardband and Phoneline, just not TV).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 00:08   #48
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
You can flash it with different firmware.

Also possible to extract the ADSL username/password from it, & then use a different router of your own choosing.

I'm still using the Sky one at the moment, although it does seem to enjoy rebooting.
Looked into flashing it when I was searching the net trying to find a way to get connected since it took 5 attempts to get a modem to me. (sky bb staff are a joke). To be honest if I did not depend on bb in order to get in extra work I would have dropped it on the spot for that shocking saga alone. I canot go another 15 days for a cease and reprovide to go to another providor. I'll bide my time and get out when I can. Claires not kean to let me ruin the GT on the router by flashing it. (strangly she did not have a problem with me flashing my £400 phone )

Can't belive that I paid £40 to connect rather than use another provider and get my own router though. (/me = stupid).

Still does not beat Virgin bb people (garlands crap lot in Middlesrough) telling me I could not have broadband as I had a fibre optic line). Chap that said it hung up on me after I challenged that.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 00:13   #49
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

If you have another ADSL2+ compatible router knocking around, or one you can borrow to test, try this to get your username/password, & then you can use the other router:

http://dg834gt.mognuts.com/NetgearRouterUtility.html

EDIT: This is handy too - monitors the net connection, & auto-reboots the router if it drops (the Sky router doesn't always reboot itself if the connection goes down) - http://www.skyuser.co.uk/forum/techn...matically.html . Can also be used to get the username/password, full modem stats, & other stuff.

15 days?! So is it not possible to migrate if you're on LLU?
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 10:44   #50
TheBlueRaja
cf.mega poster

Services: Initiations, rep rigging and orgies!
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star
TheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny starTheBlueRaja has a nice shiny star

I'd suggest doing that too if it works as my DG834 never reboots.
TheBlueRaja is offline   Reply With Quote