Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Ethernet not working

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Ethernet not working

Old 06-05-2018, 15:23   #1
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Services: LL Phone, TiVo, M+ VM mobile, BBand 150M tier Superhub, TIVO 500 M+
Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one
Question Ethernet not working

Ethernet not working so I tried a new Ethernet cable that I had on my laptop so I know that cable works but still no internet, Wi-Fi is ok.

I fitted a second pci internet card and selected that but still no internet connection.

Any ideas?
Ken W is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2018, 15:34   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Ethernet not working

Have you installed the drivers?
Old 06-05-2018, 15:37   #3
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Ken W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful oneKen W is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Have you installed the drivers?

Yes but I will reinstall the drivers.
Old 06-05-2018, 20:43   #4
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

switch your hub/router off if u have just plugged it to the new ethernet card and leave 30 secs and switch back on, it may need to assign a new ip address to the new mac address.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 05:56   #5
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
switch your hub/router off if u have just plugged it to the new ethernet card and leave 30 secs and switch back on, it may need to assign a new ip address to the new mac address.

I will try that out
Old 07-05-2018, 08:15   #6
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post

I have performed that procedure but still no luck, of coarse the network card that tried may be faulty.
Old 07-05-2018, 12:12   #7
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Did your issue start after doing the Windows 10 1803 update? If it did and you need ethernet then try rolling back to the previous version until your issue get fixed if you cant find the fix online.

Check the link below for a possible fix.

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows...indows-10.html

Last edited by SnoopZ; 07-05-2018 at 12:16.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 12:35   #8
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Did your issue start after doing the Windows 10 1803 update? If it did and you need ethernet then try rolling back to the previous version until your issue get fixed if you cant find the fix online.

Check the link below for a possible fix.

https://www.drivethelife.com/windows...indows-10.html

It happened about 5 days ago
Old 07-05-2018, 14:51   #9
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken W View Post
It happened about 5 days ago
But did you install the update, it was a huge update?

What about the link i provided that may fix your issue?
Old 07-05-2018, 16:01   #10
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
But did you install the update, it was a huge update?

What about the link i provided that may fix your issue?
No I did not install any updates.

The Win 10 was installed by the OEM and there are no restore points to roll back.
Old 07-05-2018, 17:29   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
No I did not install any updates.

The Win 10 was installed by the OEM and there are no restore points to roll back.
I would consider installing the creators update that came out last week if you haven't already, it is version 1803 and should be offered to you by windows update if it hasn't already been installed.( you need to find this out)

Ken you still haven't said if you tried the fixes on the link i gave you? You're not giving out any useful information on your replies so it is difficult for anyone to help you.
Old 07-05-2018, 18:12   #12
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I would consider installing the creators update that came out last week if you haven't already, it is version 1803 and should be offered to you by windows update if it hasn't already been installed.( you need to find this out)

Ken you still haven't said if you tried the fixes on the link i gave you? You're not giving out any useful information on your replies so it is difficult for anyone to help you.

The security software on my laptop blocks the that site ( not the pc that I am having probs with the Ethernet card).
Old 07-05-2018, 19:03   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
The security software on my laptop blocks the that site ( not the pc that I am having probs with the Ethernet card).
Try this link from Microsoft, have you looked to see which version of Windows you're running yet, because if you're not upgraded to the latest then updating may fix the issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nection-issues

This link may also help if you can open it.

https://thewindowsplus.org/ethernet-...on-windows-10/
Old 07-05-2018, 20:12   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

If it's never updated or set any restore point since you bought it then take it back as there is obviously something wrong. All OEM should have auto update set and large enough disc space set aside for restore points even with a large W10 update.
Why did you ask earlier how to turn off auto update if you've never had any?

BTW my security blocks the site do to it promoting downloading driver talent to fix the issue which is a scam. It'll do a scan for you, indicate a few outdated or missing drivers and ask you for money to fix them. The free version of driver booster will fix the main ones anyway. Just don't accept any of the extras it offers and uninstall it afterwards.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 21:06   #15
Ken W
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Try this link from Microsoft, have you looked to see which version of Windows you're running yet, because if you're not upgraded to the latest then updating may fix the issue?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...nection-issues

This link may also help if you can open it.

https://thewindowsplus.org/ethernet-...on-windows-10/

I tried those two links but they did not help so I did the 1803 update, (took a long while) but still no Ethernet.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
If it's never updated or set any restore point since you bought it then take it back as there is obviously something wrong. All OEM should have auto update set and large enough disc space set aside for restore points even with a large W10 update.
Why did you ask earlier how to turn off auto update if you've never had any?

BTW my security blocks the site do to it promoting downloading driver talent to fix the issue which is a scam. It'll do a scan for you, indicate a few outdated or missing drivers and ask you for money to fix them. The free version of driver booster will fix the main ones anyway. Just don't accept any of the extras it offers and uninstall it afterwards.

The OEM is no longer in business.