Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 25-01-2015, 13:27   #196
idi banashapan
step on my trip

idi banashapan has a nice shiny star
idi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny staridi banashapan has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by admars View Post
10 is the host. Vbox has been running fine in it for weeks. Since yesterday's update vbox won't start( the vm is debian but that's irrelevant). There's a msg in eventvwr but not had time to investigate more than running as admin or trying compat mode which didn't help.

Avast seems to have been uninstalled as well
oh, I see. ok. well, I can't replicate that, so don't really have anything to add.
Old 25-01-2015, 15:03   #197
truthspeaker
cf.addict

truthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the guttertruthspeaker likes to dwell in the gutter

if anyone needs help just ask me, i help people for free.
am not like most people are selfish.

if i can't help you then i will tell you straight. that i can't help.
because am a straight forward person.

and i don't like giving people wrong advice like some people do

[Mod Edit - pointless generalised off-topic comment removed]
truthspeaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 15:43   #198
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthspeaker View Post

[Mod Edit - pointless generalised off-topic comment removed]
Please don't de rail this thread, this is about windows 10

Any who back to windows 10 i don't like the new icons are all they look bland and uninteresting to say the least.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 15:44   #199
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Please don't de rail this thread, this is about windows 10
+1
Old 25-01-2015, 16:05   #200
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

I have decided to hold off until the Consumer Preview is released, hopefully only a few months away.
Old 25-01-2015, 16:12   #201
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
I have decided to hold off until the Consumer Preview is released, hopefully only a few months away.
April most likely for that
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 18:41   #202
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Been running this latest build via Bootcamp on my Macbook Pro for a couple of days now.

Been fine so far, quite like it especially since I thought 8 was awful.
Old 25-01-2015, 21:19   #203
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next few weeks. That seems to be a good time to try out win 10. Does anyone know if you can copy the existing OS(win 8.1) on the same physical system to give a dual boot setup and upgrade one of the copies to win 10? That would give a working 8.1 system and a test win 10 setup to play around with. Only one 8.1 setup would then exist.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 23:43   #204
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Tried it today, buggy as hell and I don't see any real advantages to it.

Uninstalled.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 09:58   #205
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
I'm looking to buy a laptop in the next few weeks. That seems to be a good time to try out win 10. Does anyone know if you can copy the existing OS(win 8.1) on the same physical system to give a dual boot setup and upgrade one of the copies to win 10? That would give a working 8.1 system and a test win 10 setup to play around with. Only one 8.1 setup would then exist.
You can boot into a VHD (Virtual Hard Disk) with Windows 8.1. So it won't impact your main OS install, but will run as if it's fully installed on your hard disk

There is guide here http://www.nextofwindows.com/native-...-or-windows-8/
Old 26-01-2015, 10:24   #206
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Tried it today, buggy as hell and I don't see any real advantages to it.

Uninstalled.
Buggy as hell? bit of an exaggeration.

I've had it up for two full days and also spent last night playing games on Steam and Origin. Everything worked great.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:25   #207
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

For you perhaps. For me display mirroring wouldn't work, windows update wouldn't work, wireless would not disconnect and shutdown didn't work. The notification/quick menu section came up once, with half of it missing, and couldn't be hidden, after restarting it won't come up at all. The feedback window has also gone AWOL and the start menu search does not work when the taskbar isn't horizontal.

Course if you happen to "play games on Steam and Origin" neither actually involves using any of the new Windows components so of course you're not going to have issues.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:33   #208
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
For you perhaps. For me display mirroring wouldn't work, windows update wouldn't work, wireless would not disconnect and shutdown didn't work. The notification/quick menu section came up once, with half of it missing, and couldn't be hidden, after restarting it won't come up at all. The feedback window has also gone AWOL and the start menu search does not work when the taskbar isn't horizontal.

Course if you happen to "play games on Steam and Origin" neither actually involves using any of the new Windows components so of course you're not going to have issues.
did you upgrade or clean install when you installed new build
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 16:34   #209
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Well no I said that's what I did last night. I did say been running it on boot camp for a couple days now. Feedback window is still there and works. Notifications have actually worked fine.

I've been able to shut down and restart ok too. Xbox app works fine too.

So yes I do actually use the normal bits of windows too.
Old 26-01-2015, 16:45   #210
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
did you upgrade or clean install when you installed new build
Clean install.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Well no I said that's what I did last night. I did say been running it on boot camp for a couple days now.
Funny how it runs better when you don't install it on a PC than on a fully-supported PC platform...