Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Smart meters

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Smart meters

Old 14-01-2019, 00:12   #16
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Smart meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard s View Post
Do the smart ass meters need electricity to take the readings and send the signal to the supplier or are they using my lecy to run their meters and my wifi.
We pay for the electric used to run the monitoring unit if that's what you mean, that's why I disconnected it. Like Chris, electricity isn't wasted here anyway.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-01-2019, 10:43   #17
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Haven't had them fitted yet because they're not offering weekend appointments. Whilst i work from home I cannot be without an internet connection so doing them during the week is out of the question. especially as they can't give definitive appt times just morning or afternoon
Old 14-01-2019, 11:09   #18
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I'd beware that suppliers still have stock of V1 meters that may not work with other suppliers and are trying to get rid of them.

They may also measure our Solar PV export and we could lose out. Our current meters don't register exported electricity so we get half generated even if we use all we generate (this is on top of the FIT payment). We could also win if we do export more but we try to run heavier loads in the morning when the solar "system" is running at best.
Old 14-01-2019, 12:38   #19
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from nomadking:

I had electric and gas ones installed just a few months ago. If it keeps losing the connection, place it nearer the meters. The current usage in watts is likely to be there on the optional displays. It was there for me.
I set the unit to display watts but after a while it will completely reset, do a display test, then re-pair with the main meter and then displays usage today in £. There is a signal strength display shows 3 bars out of 5 so I don't think that's why it resets.

Quote:
The thing to watch out for in assessing current usage is that items such as fridges, freezers, immersion heaters can suddenly start up. That would give a false current usage in watts.
It's actually in the same room as the freezer and fridge so I know when they startup As I say I have my own monitor unit and they agree to the last watt.

Quote:
Quote from Taf:

We had a scheduled power outage of an hour or so. Next door were away on holiday. When they came home, their fridge and freezer were minging as the smart meter did not turn the power back on after the outage.

I'm not sure if this was a fault, or how these meters work.
It's something that they don't tell you about on the electric ones: There's a main contactor in the box that can shut off the electricity remotely. Currently there are "no plans" to use this to remotely cut off the supply to people who don't pay their bills.
Old 14-01-2019, 12:45   #20
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 13:47   #21
gba93
ofc.founder_member

Services: VIP 60
gba93 has reached the bronze age
gba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze agegba93 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Same here.
... and here.
gba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:29   #22
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
i keep turning down the offers to fit them.
Ditto.

Until the day I am forced into it, I will refuse to have one.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 15:59   #23
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

This is the one fitted here. It's badged as Aclara but is actually made by GE. (Labelled SGC1311)

I have yet to find the instructions on how to access the extra measurement features on the main display. (Such as VA, VAR and Power factor) According to the data sheet these are registered internally. There are two buttons (A and B) on the front but only A seems to rotate between several screens. I guess there's some secret button combination and timing to unlock the additional displays.

My own energy monitor reports these to the PC via a Modbus link (RS485). In addition line voltage, line frequency and load current. Updated 10 times a second.

The only advantage the smart meter really offers me is no estimated bills.
Old 14-01-2019, 16:53   #24
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I set the unit to display watts but after a while it will completely reset, do a display test, then re-pair with the main meter and then displays usage today in £. There is a signal strength display shows 3 bars out of 5 so I don't think that's why it resets.

It's actually in the same room as the freezer and fridge so I know when they startup As I say I have my own monitor unit and they agree to the last watt.

It's something that they don't tell you about on the electric ones: There's a main contactor in the box that can shut off the electricity remotely. Currently there are "no plans" to use this to remotely cut off the supply to people who don't pay their bills.
I think the emphasis is meant to be on how much it costs rather than how many KWh. That will be why the default display is in £, as that is easier to understand on a day-to-day basis.

If the freezer is frost-free then it could be in a defrost phase where the heating element melts the frosted water build-up.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 13:26   #25
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy
What are members experiences?
We have one on our water meter that just transmits the current reading when the guy is here.....

Thankfully the power company IS NOT FORCING ELECTRIC SMART METERS.... They are not good (health risk) and a privacy risk!! (They can control what power YOU USE (If you have any smart appliances) and they dont have a right to do that if your paying the bill)

Power company said no one will ever be forced into getting one..... I have heard alot of power companies ARE TRYING TO which is quite sad.............
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 14:17   #26
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My SWALEC Gas bill today..
Quote:
My SWALEC gas bill..

"As you're on our standard variable tariff your prices are now capped. There has also been a change to the way your Direct Debit discount is calculated. The annual fixed discount of £40 a year no longer applies. From 1 January 2019, your new discount will vary depending on how much energy you use, where you live and your meter type. The discount will be automatically applied to your standing charge and unit rates."
I hope that refers to prepayment meters and not a bl**dy smart one !!!
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 19:02   #27
Tali
cf.addict

Tali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about themTali has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Do the smart ass meters need electricity to take the readings and send the signal to the supplier or are they using my lecy to run their meters and my wifi.
The meter itself is mains run but takes its power BEFORE the measuring components of the meter so you won't pay for the energy the meter uses to communicate with your supplier.

You will pay for the energy that the display that plugs into the wall uses.
Tali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 19:08   #28
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Quote from Tali:

The meter itself is mains run but takes its power BEFORE the measuring components of the meter so you won't pay for the energy the meter uses to communicate with your supplier.

You will pay for the energy that the display that plugs into the wall uses.
That'll be the POS that I dumped in the meter cupboard, unpowered to die.
Old 21-01-2019, 22:34   #29
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
We have one on our water meter that just transmits the current reading when the guy is here.....

Thankfully the power company IS NOT FORCING ELECTRIC SMART METERS.... They are not good (health risk) and a privacy risk!! (They can control what power YOU USE (If you have any smart appliances) and they dont have a right to do that if your paying the bill)

Power company said no one will ever be forced into getting one..... I have heard alot of power companies ARE TRYING TO which is quite sad.............
Any forcing is because they're supposed to be universal by 2020, perhaps there will be penalty charges for the suppliers who don't meet this impossible target

They couldn't fit one to my place when I foolishly applied a few years ago because my mobile signal is non existent and their device couldn't phone home (I use a signal box booster so I get a phone signal) but the installer pointed out, whilst I may have, when I move the next person may not and then their machine won't work so no install, thankfully as I've since changed my view and will stay with a 'thick' as opposed to a 'smart' meter.

Additionally the early adopters have found out or will (and we're talking thousands of installs here) that their lovely smart meter will turn thick if they ever switch supplier

Because the things were rolled out before the technology was mature.

SMETS1 is the thing to check for if you have one or want one, this won't be smart come switchover time.
SMETS2 is a newer standard and this will allow a switch and remain smart.

All a bit of a joke really.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 05:04   #30
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Very good..... RESISTANCE IS THE ONLY WAY!!!
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote