Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Economy Energy has collapsed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Economy Energy has collapsed
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2019, 17:30   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster
 
Taf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kairdiff-by-the-sea
Age: 62
Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Posts: 8,064
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Economy Energy has collapsed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46798461

From Companies House:

DIRECTOR Lubna KHILJI

BUDGET UTILITIES LIMITED,
BUDGET UTILITY LIMITED,
BUDGET ELECTRICITY LIMITED,
BUDGET POWER LIMITED,
ECONOMY GAS, ELECTRICITY AND WATER LIMITED,
ECONOMY ELECTRICITY AND GAS LIMITED,
ECONOMY GAS AND ELECTRICITY LIMITED,
ECONOMY ELECTRICITY, GAS AND WATER LIMITED,
ENERGY ECONOMY LIMITED,
ECONOMY WATER LIMITED,
ECONOMY ELECTRICITY LIMITED,
ECONOMY UTILITIES LIMITED,
ECONOMY UTILITY LIMITED,
ECONOMY ENERGY TRADING LIMITED.

A few more to fail soon?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2019, 17:37   #2
Paul M
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team
 
Paul M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Nottingham
Age: 56
Services: VM Phone : Sky TV : VM Cable (350 Mbps) : Sky BB (38 Mbps)
Posts: 22,213
Paul M is seeing silvered starsPaul M is seeing silvered starsPaul M is seeing silvered stars
Paul M is seeing silvered starsPaul M is seeing silvered starsPaul M is seeing silvered starsPaul M is seeing silvered stars
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

No surprise they collapsed since they got banned from taking on new customers.

Same fate as IRESA.
__________________

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 20:21   #3
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,567
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

All else being equal, i'd still try out some of these new small companies. In the event of them collapsing, the supply isn't cut off and any credit is fully protected.

Last June, Ofgem stated that they were looking for new entrants to the market to be verified as having a sustainable business plan; Martin Lewis has also urged them to apply a 'fit and proper person test'.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 21:45   #4
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,064
jfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

They’d be better just regulating the Big 6. It’s a farce encouraging unsustainable new entrants into the market. I’m assuming it’s the taxpayers who “protect” everyone’s credit? Defeats the purpose really.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 23:05   #5
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,567
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

No, the scheme isn't paid for out of general taxation.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 23:30   #6
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team
 
Chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: North of Watford
Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Posts: 31,302
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
All else being equal, i'd still try out some of these new small companies. In the event of them collapsing, the supply isn't cut off and any credit is fully protected.

Last June, Ofgem stated that they were looking for new entrants to the market to be verified as having a sustainable business plan; Martin Lewis has also urged them to apply a 'fit and proper person test'.
Their collapse is just about the only time you are protected though. In the interim, they’re stumbling along, over-charging people, promising refunds which fail to appear and generally causing stress. And Ofgem does little of note until things are about to blow up in their face anyway. Funny how this company was in the news one week because Ofgem is getting tough on them, and the next week the company’s bankrupt anyway. Almost as if the regulator is acting tough because they’re guaranteed there won’t be any push-back or follow up.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 23:43   #7
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,064
jfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond reputejfman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
No, the scheme isn't paid for out of general taxation.
Magic money tree? Profits of other energy companies with actual business models? Someone is paying, and it won’t be the shareholders/owners of economy energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...0-in-the-lurch

Nine energy suppliers have failed totalling £80m picked up by other companies (in other words their customers). Effectively penalised for going with reputable suppliers while those chasing a quick buck have their credit balances preserved.

Last edited by jfman; 08-01-2019 at 23:50.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:47   #8
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 6,567
RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Economy Energy has collapsed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Their collapse is just about the only time you are protected though. In the interim, they’re stumbling along, over-charging people, promising refunds which fail to appear and generally causing stress. And Ofgem does little of note until things are about to blow up in their face anyway. Funny how this company was in the news one week because Ofgem is getting tough on them, and the next week the company’s bankrupt anyway. Almost as if the regulator is acting tough because they’re guaranteed there won’t be any push-back or follow up.
That's a good point about all the extra hassle and stress that's caused.

The company that I use has said that if I put my account in credit I can earn a decent rate of interest. I've checked and it would be covered by the scheme, but I can't help wondering if this is because they desperately need the funds. If everything seems ok in a month, I might pay a year in advance or something. .

---------- Post added at 05:47 ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Magic money tree? Profits of other energy companies with actual business models? Someone is paying, and it won’t be the shareholders/owners of economy energy.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...0-in-the-lurch

Nine energy suppliers have failed totalling £80m picked up by other companies (in other words their customers). Effectively penalised for going with reputable suppliers while those chasing a quick buck have their credit balances preserved.
I think this is why Ofgem are looking to reform the scheme and why Martin Lewis is calling for extra checks.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 09-01-2019 at 05:51.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 16:41.


Server: xenon.zmnt.net
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.