Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Football Close Season Thread

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Football Close Season Thread
View Poll Results: who will win the league
manchester united 12 40.00%
liverpool 10 33.33%
chelsea 0 0%
arsenal 4 13.33%
manchester city 2 6.67%
aston villa 1 3.33%
everton 1 3.33%
spurs 0 0%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2009, 16:23   #16
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal
Re: Football Close Season Thread

He's going to lose a lot of fans in general for doing this, not just Villa fans. He never seemed like someone who was all about money, but now it's clear he is. He's shown his lack of ambition and his greed for money in full here.
Shadow Demon UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 02-06-2009, 17:10   #17
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Just to play Devil's Advocate, but what if Man City convinced him that they will be in the top 4 within 2 years, and that he would be a core part of that team. He would be joining a club embarking on the start of a journey where he would be a major player.

Would that not be seen as an ambitious move? When you're earning 90k a week, does 130k (i.e an extra 40k) prove to be the principal motivator? I'd say he has more chance of playing Champions league with Man City than with Villa, and if City get the players they want, then he'd also be playing in a very good team. Also it's not like the other top 3 teams are linked with him this season.

I can be very cynical at times, but sometimes feel that there is more to a footballer than money.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 17:17   #18
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

It is true Man City have a better Chance of Champions League football than Villa it has to be said....
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 17:27   #19
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Shadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appealShadow Demon UK has a bronzed appeal

This is from the other thread that got closed whilst i was replying to matt...

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt-h View Post
physio room is still reporting return date of 30th june

Cant find anything on t'internet to suggest otherwise.

Manchester United's preparations for next season have been dealt an early blow with Owen Hargreaves, the England midfield player, unlikely to be back in action until January.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6409971.ece

I really like the guy, but maybe it's time to start looking for a new defensive midfielder...

---------- Post added at 17:27 ---------- Previous post was at 17:23 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Just to play Devil's Advocate, but what if Man City convinced him that they will be in the top 4 within 2 years, and that he would be a core part of that team. He would be joining a club embarking on the start of a journey where he would be a major player.

Would that not be seen as an ambitious move? When you're earning 90k a week, does 130k (i.e an extra 40k) prove to be the principal motivator? I'd say he has more chance of playing Champions league with Man City than with Villa, and if City get the players they want, then he'd also be playing in a very good team. Also it's not like the other top 3 teams are linked with him this season.

I can be very cynical at times, but sometimes feel that there is more to a footballer than money.
Really? By buying players like Bellamy? I don't see many big players wanting to join city unless they are after money and i think they will struggle to match Everton and Villa next season. For me Villa are one or two players away from really challenging for fourth place and if Everton can keep their players fit they also stand a great chance.
Old 02-06-2009, 17:52   #20
pedantic
Inactive

Services: O2 standard
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
pedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronzepedantic is cast in bronze
Send a message via Yahoo to pedantic

Maybe Gareth Barry has become disillusioned with Villa, their latter season form was little better than the relegated teams. 12 points from 39 doesn't make good reading. Villa were looking good for a champions league spot at one point, maybe he thinks he's gone as far as he can with them, and the potential of Man City is more appealing.
pedantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:08   #21
Saaf_laandon_mo
Inactive

Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star
Saaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny starSaaf_laandon_mo has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post
Really? By buying players like Bellamy? I don't see many big players wanting to join city unless they are after money and i think they will struggle to match Everton and Villa next season. For me Villa are one or two players away from really challenging for fourth place and if Everton can keep their players fit they also stand a great chance.
Yes they got Bellamy, but they also showed they had the resources to go for Kaka. Granted Kaka didn't go, but I think Man City will get a few good signings over summer and have the potential to finish higher than Villa and Everton. Also Barry might be influenced by reports of Ashley Young leaving in the summer. Maybe he knows something we don't.
Saaf_laandon_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:22   #22
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saaf_laandon_mo View Post
Maybe he knows something we don't.
I think that says more than anything else on this topic. I forsee big changes at City over the summer. IMO Hughes will be bombed out and whoever replaces him will bring in a load of world class players. I get the impression the wheels are already in motion.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:26   #23
lucy7
Inactive

lucy7 has reached the bronze age
lucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze agelucy7 has reached the bronze age

Have not read all of this, but I am fed up that yet again Leeds are gonna be in league 1.
lucy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:29   #24
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Confirmed now - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...la/8079088.stm
Old 02-06-2009, 18:38   #25
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Demon UK View Post

Great news
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 18:40   #26
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
Great news

Because Alonso will be staying now?
Old 02-06-2009, 18:42   #27
Bulky
Inactive

Bulky has reached the bronze age
Bulky has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbiatch View Post
Great news
have to agree with you , feel sorry for the Villa fans but a great signing for City , very hard worker on the pitch and will not expect the rest of the team to bow down to him .
Old 02-06-2009, 18:45   #28
superbiatch
Inactive

Services: Sky+, Sky Broadband and Talk
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
superbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny starsuperbiatch has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to superbiatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulkylad View Post
have to agree with you , feel sorry for the Villa fans but a great signing for City , very hard worker on the pitch and will not expect the rest of the team to bow down to him .
I was thinking purely from a personal point of view meaning we won't be getting rid of Xabi Alonso who is far better IMO. But I'm all for citeh improving even though they'll probably turn into the Chelsea of the North eventually
superbiatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 20:46   #29
Shadow Demon UK
Inactive

Spanish radio station Cadena Ser is reporting Kaka has signed for Real Madrid in a €65million (£56million) deal, although his spokesman has countered that while an approach has been made no agreement has yet been struck.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...360176,00.html
Old 03-06-2009, 00:24   #30
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura

I can't believe Barry went for £12m. What a bargain. He's going to be on some serious money now though, i'm sure.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote