Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 18-09-2021, 22:47   #376
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You’d only complain if I said it will happen.

---------- Post added at 20:49 ---------- Previous post was at 20:46 ----------

No, they would offer the ‘linear’ broadcast channel due to the current level of broadband penetration. That makes absolute sense.

---------- Post added at 20:50 ---------- Previous post was at 20:49 ----------

It’s transitional, jfman. That’s because it’s only 2021.

Oh, and it costs billions to invest in a linear broadcast channel now, does it? Not long ago, you said it cost buttons to do so. I really hadn’t appreciated inflation was that out of control.
I was quoting the DAZN chairman Kevin Mayer, not you…

https://www.reuters.com/business/med...ys-2021-09-15/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 18-09-2021 at 22:52.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-09-2021, 23:41   #377
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, they would offer the ‘linear’ broadcast channel due to the current level of broadband penetration. That makes absolute sense.
Which is a round about way of saying the customers aren’t there. The business mode isn’t there.

Quote:
It’s transitional, jfman. That’s because it’s only 2021.

Oh, and it costs billions to invest in a linear broadcast channel now, does it? Not long ago, you said it cost buttons to do so. I really hadn’t appreciated inflation was that out of control.
As you well know, it’s the broadcast part that is buttons.

The contracts BT hold, plus the customer base (and the leap towards an actual business model) that costs more.

I could set up a stall selling fake Pepsi. The fact it looks like Pepsi and I’ve got no customers doesn’t mean I’d command the share price of actual PepsiCo.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 00:42   #378
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Which is a round about way of saying the customers aren’t there. The business mode isn’t there.

I don’t dispute that, so I don’t understand your point. Until high speed broadband is rolled out across the whole country, a supplementary broadcast channel is necessary.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

Quote:

As you well know, it’s the broadcast part that is buttons.

The contracts BT hold, plus the customer base (and the leap towards an actual business model) that costs more.

I could set up a stall selling fake Pepsi. The fact it looks like Pepsi and I’ve got no customers doesn’t mean I’d command the share price of actual PepsiCo.
So how do you reconcile that with your comment? Let me remind you:

‘While OB relies heavily on the word possibly and twists DAZN’s potential to invest billions in a linear television let’s consider other news articles that have happened recently.’

Last edited by OLD BOY; 19-09-2021 at 00:52.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2021, 00:46   #379
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I don’t dispute that, so I don’t understand your point. Until high speed broadband is rolled out across the whole country, a supplementary broadcast channel is necessary.

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:39 ----------

So how do you reconcile that with your comment?
Could be a while, then…

From April this year - https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-8392/

Quote:
The Government’s target has reduced

The Government’s 85% target, announced in November 2020, is a reduction from its original aim to deliver nationwide gigabit broadband coverage by 2025.

The Government told the Commons Digital Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) Committee that it expects the new target to be met by the telecoms industry delivering 80% coverage by 2025. It said the reduced target reflected how quickly it expected industry could build in areas requiring public funding alongside their commercial roll-out.

The reduced target has been described as a “blow to rural communities”. The Public Accounts Committee raised concerns that rural areas could be ”locked out of gigabit broadband for years to come”.
Old 19-09-2021, 00:57   #380
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Could be a while, then…

From April this year - https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-8392/
I am aware of that, and this will clearly impact on my original pronouncements on the speed of changing over to streaming only. To what extent, it’s too early to tell.

There should be no doubt in anyone’s mind that if government priorities result in a slowdown in broadband rollout, this will inevitably impact on the streaming only future that I have put forward.
Old 19-09-2021, 01:10   #381
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

You know the linear broadcasting bit is tiny, right? Like none of the text and tits channels cost billions to run.
Old 19-09-2021, 01:20   #382
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You know the linear broadcasting bit is tiny, right? Like none of the text and tits channels cost billions to run.
I’m still trying to digest the contradiction in your posts between the ‘buttons’ and the ‘billions’.

You are all over the place, mate.
Old 19-09-2021, 08:03   #383
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I’m still trying to digest the contradiction in your posts between the ‘buttons’ and the ‘billions’.

You are all over the place, mate.
I think you should switch off at 10pm rather than continue late night ramblings OB. I’ve been clear throughout that linear channels cost buttons to run relative to the cost of content.

Your persistent wilful misinterpretation of my posts is both tedious and time consuming.
Old 19-09-2021, 10:06   #384
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I think you should switch off at 10pm rather than continue late night ramblings OB. I’ve been clear throughout that linear channels cost buttons to run relative to the cost of content.

Your persistent wilful misinterpretation of my posts is both tedious and time consuming.
I interpret your posts as they are written. If you want to be wilfully vague or obtuse, you are succeeding wonderfully.
Old 19-09-2021, 11:13   #385
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I interpret your posts as they are written. If you want to be wilfully vague or obtuse, you are succeeding wonderfully.
Anyone can use the search facility to find countless posts where I state content is the main cost of any broadcaster regardless of distribution method.

Your word play doesn’t distract the rest of us from the fact DAZN investing in BT is a retreat from the glorious streaming future not progress towards it.
Old 19-09-2021, 13:31   #386
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...bcab4cb96469de

Quote:
The removal of John Whittingdale, a keen advocate of the privatisation of Channel 4, as minister of state now calls that plan into question. “It wouldn’t surprise me if Boris just ditches that,” said someone who knows Johnson well. “It’s not that popular with the backbenchers, unlike bashing the BBC. I can see No 10 deciding that’s not a fight worth having.”

No 10 sources say the move does not signal an intention to change direction but it is understood that the public consultation has led to enough opposition to give Dorries the political cover to ditch it.
Old 06-10-2021, 10:12   #387
jfman
Architect of Ideas

From the ESPN… thread.

Quote:
BT plan to complete their rollout by 2026 and Virgin by 2028. As far as remotest communities are concerned, they could all be covered by satellite broadband, but I’m unsure whether there are any plans for that.
Yes the commercially viable rollout - this is significantly less than national coverage provided by the current broadcast methods.

Quote:
The remotest communities didn’t even get hooked up to the electricity until relatively recently, and some may still not have an electricity supply. I don’t see why the absence of broadband in these areas would prevent streaming only services to become widespread, as buckeye said, and so I remain of the view that Premiere League sports will be streamed only before many people think.
Streaming services are already “widespread” OB - nobody is disputing that they can or they will. The only dogmatic point anyone holds is that you have that linear must end.

A few hundred thousand homes would be a critical mass from which it would still be viable for Sky, BT or anyone else to maintain a linear presence of key content.

Quote:
The only question is which streaming services will they be? Clearly, Amazon and DAZN are already committed. Disney and Discovery are also hot contenders.
And Sky also stream, I fail to see why that gets discounted almost every time you consider a who’s who of broadcasting. You seem to view streaming as distinct from the television market as a whole which I’ve reminded you on a number of occasions it isn’t. The vast, vast majority of viewers use all the tools at their disposal (streaming, linear, recording) to enjoy TV.

Clearly DAZN are committed to linear broadcasting if they are weighing in to the tune of billions.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:34   #388
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:

And Sky also stream, I fail to see why that gets discounted almost every time you consider a who’s who of broadcasting. You seem to view streaming as distinct from the television market as a whole which I’ve reminded you on a number of occasions it isn’t. The vast, vast majority of viewers use all the tools at their disposal (streaming, linear, recording) to enjoy TV.

Clearly DAZN are committed to linear broadcasting if they are weighing in to the tune of billions.
I’m sure you are getting muddled here, jfman. Of course Sky and others stream. There is no dispute about that.

If conventional TV costs buttons, then clearly the billions you are talking about must relate to content, which in turn can be used for streaming only when the conventional channels close. In the meantime, both services will operate side by side.
Old 06-10-2021, 12:45   #389
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I’m sure you are getting muddled here, jfman. Of course Sky and others stream. There is no dispute about that.

If conventional TV costs buttons, then clearly the billions you are talking about must relate to content, which in turn can be used for streaming only when the conventional channels close. In the meantime, both services will operate side by side.
It does indeed relate largely to content (and existing customer base). If it were as easy as you continuously claim a streamer would just sit back and pick off the rights one by one. However we both know there’s no business model that can fund top end rights that excludes a proportion of the population by not being technology neutral.
Old 07-10-2021, 18:08   #390
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Sky Glass Pricing.

43" - £649 upfront or £13 per month

55" - £849 upfront or £17 per month

65" - £1,049 upfront or £21 per month

And what do I need on top?

Sky Ultimate TV (required) - £26 per month

Sky Cinema - £11 per month

Sky Sports - £25 per month

Sky Stream puck - £50 upfront and £10 a month to stream on TVs in other rooms
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote