Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

New TV

Old 27-03-2021, 16:54   #1
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

Services: Virgin Media Tivo Kahuna Big Bundle, phone and Broadband.
beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them
New TV

I am getting a new TV -
https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-32lm630...black/p4131362

Will the Virgin cable lead fit this new TV ? Are the sockets on TV's and the Virgin cable plugs universal ?
Old 27-03-2021, 17:01   #2
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age
Re: New TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
I am getting a new TV -
https://www.johnlewis.com/lg-32lm630...black/p4131362

Will the Virgin cable lead fit this new TV ? Are the sockets on TV's and the Virgin cable plugs universal ?
Will be a "standard" HDMI cable from the VM box, so yes should be fine.
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 17:11   #3
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

beaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about thembeaker17 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Will be a "standard" HDMI cable from the VM box, so yes should be fine.
Brilliant Dave and thank you. My existing TV is over 20 years old.
All I need do now is plug it in to Virgin cable, power, aerial and tune my Virgin remote to the volume control and I am away.
Old 27-03-2021, 18:47   #4
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Brilliant Dave and thank you. My existing TV is over 20 years old.
All I need do now is plug it in to Virgin cable, power, aerial and tune my Virgin remote to the volume control and I am away.
You'll need to buy a HDMI cable, couple of pound will do or get VM to supply one.

On a separate note, didn't think you could by an HD Ready TV these days.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 19:05   #5
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

The last few VM boxes that have arrived here have had HDMI leads with them - but if you have a box then you should already have the HDMI lead.

The tv is not 4K so you should be OK with the existing lead.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 20:42   #6
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Why would anyone think an HDMI lead was exclusive to Virgin?
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 20:49   #7
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Why would anyone think an HDMI lead was exclusive to Virgin?
State of the world mate, show a teenager a lump of cheese, tell them it comes from a cow and they look at you stupid

Same with bottled water (IMO) what a bloody con
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 20:50   #8
beaker17
If it moves, shoot it

From your very encouraging posts - HD Ready means that my new set is ready to be connected with a Virgin HD V+ box, so the socket is compatible with the Virgin cable plug.

Hence my existing Virgin box will plug straight into the TV and produce all the cable channels. My existing Virgin remote handset will only need tuning into the volume control. If the code cannot be found then i will have to use the new TV handset for volume control.

Is this correct ?
Old 27-03-2021, 20:57   #9
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
From your very encouraging posts - HD Ready means that my new set is ready to be connected with a Virgin HD V+ box, so the socket is compatible with the Virgin cable plug.

Hence my existing Virgin box will plug straight into the TV and produce all the cable channels. My existing Virgin remote handset will only need tuning into the volume control. If the code cannot be found then i will have to use the new TV handset for volume control.

Is this correct ?
It is not a Virgin Media plug. It is a standard HDMI cable. Just plug it in!

---------- Post added at 19:57 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
State of the world mate, show a teenager a lump of cheese, tell them it comes from a cow and they look at you stupid

Same with bottled water (IMO) what a bloody con
Bottled water. Oh yes the biggest con going. Nestle have a lot to answer for and the idiots that but bottled water.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...lastic-bottles
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2021, 22:19   #10
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

If your existing TV is over 20 years old, you are probably using a SCART lead. This won't fit in your new TV. You'll need an HDMI lead instead.

SCART:

HDMI:

(Despite appearances here, HDMI is much smaller than SCART)
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 02:26   #11
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

The stark difference between those who wish to mock & belittle someone for not knowing as much about a subject as they do and those who wish to be helpful is astounding.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 09:26   #12
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Is there any supported VM kit still using SCART?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
If your existing TV is over 20 years old, you are probably using a SCART lead. This won't fit in your new TV. You'll need an HDMI lead instead.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 09:57   #13
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The stark difference between those who wish to mock & belittle someone for not knowing as much about a subject as they do and those who wish to be helpful is astounding.
Exactly not everyone knows the same things as others.

The OP might be a brain surgeon for all we know just not that au fait with modern technology but hand those who mock a scalpel and a drill and show them a head I wonder how well they would fair
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 10:16   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Is there any supported VM kit still using SCART?
Yes, the original Tivo. Very useful having an additional output to the hdmi too.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2021, 11:55   #15
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Yes, the original Tivo.
And the V+ and VHD.

Beaker's "Services" says they've got TiVo, but a post mentions V+. Either way, the box will have an HDMI socket so will be fine with the new TV.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote