Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Will Scotland Leave the UK?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Old 29-03-2021, 06:31   #3901
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

There seems to be 'hate' on both sides, it doesn’t bode well. If people don't like the status quo, they'll vote for change, regardless of what the change is.
Saying how bad anyone else will be, isn't enough.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-03-2021, 07:30   #3902
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
"Full of hate" such uninspiring and divisive rhetoric. The kind of thing I'd strongly advise unionists against as it's simply perpetuating and entrenching their problem at the ballot box.

Believing Scotland could self-govern better than it is being governed from London isn't a hateful pursuit. Portraying it as such is denying the right of Scottish people to self-determination - be that a decision to remain in the UK or independence.
There has been no denying any such thing. A Democratic decision that has already taken place in 2014. That result saw the Scottish people, opt to convincingly decide to remain in the UK....In a once in a.... not my words but the SNP!
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 07:45   #3903
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
"Full of hate" such uninspiring and divisive rhetoric. The kind of thing I'd strongly advise unionists against as it's simply perpetuating and entrenching their problem at the ballot box.

Believing Scotland could self-govern better than it is being governed from London isn't a hateful pursuit. Portraying it as such is denying the right of Scottish people to self-determination - be that a decision to remain in the UK or independence.
The uncomfortable truth more like.
Old 29-03-2021, 08:19   #3904
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
The uncomfortable truth more like.
If roughly 50% of the people are “full of hate” then Scotland has far more to worry about. If, on the other hand, it’s simply a lazy trope to dismiss reasonable political beliefs then it perhaps says more about the severe limitations of the other side to engage with the substantive point.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 08:27   #3905
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
There has been no denying any such thing. A Democratic decision that has already taken place in 2014. That result saw the Scottish people, opt to convincingly decide to remain in the UK....In a once in a.... not my words but the SNP!
The next generation is here, it will be have been about 10 years by the time of any vote. 10 years worth of new voters.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 08:36   #3906
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
If roughly 50% of the people are “full of hate” then Scotland has far more to worry about. If, on the other hand, it’s simply a lazy trope to dismiss reasonable political beliefs then it perhaps says more about the severe limitations of the other side to engage with the substantive point.
It's not the people it's the SNP that are full of hate.
Old 29-03-2021, 08:49   #3907
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
It's not the people it's the SNP that are full of hate.
If roughly 50% of the population are considering voting for a party “full of hate” I’m not sure the value of the distinction.

Do they either not see it, or worse still agree with it?
Old 29-03-2021, 09:14   #3908
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Believing Scotland could self-govern better than it is being governed from London isn't a hateful pursuit.
They're doing such a great job with the devolved powers they have now aren't they?
Old 29-03-2021, 09:15   #3909
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Quote:
If roughly 50% of the population are considering voting for a party “full of hate” I’m not sure the value of the distinction.

Do they either not see it, or worse still agree with it?
We will have to see if they vote for the Snp, other party's are available.
Old 29-03-2021, 09:36   #3910
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
They're doing such a great job with the devolved powers they have now aren't they?
It would appear yes, if as expected they're the largest party that's the verdict of the voters.
Old 29-03-2021, 10:12   #3911
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Didn't they vote to remain in the UK that was part of the EU? Things have changed since that vote, I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on them not having another vote.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:52   #3912
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
Didn't they vote to remain in the UK that was part of the EU? Things have changed since that vote, I'm not sure why people are so hell bent on them not having another vote.
No, we didn’t.

The referendum question had no caveats - it was “Should Scotland become an independent country?” With the available answers limited to “yes” or “no”.

Obviously the losing side will argue that things change. If it hadn’t been the EU it would have been something else. I don’t think anyone can seriously argue that the SNP would have just given up no matter what.

One thing to bear in mind is that any of the “but we were promised” arguments, like EU membership, are being made by people who weren’t inclined to listen to those promises in any case. The argument about promised EU membership is being made by separatists, on behalf of those who did not, and do not, support them.

I’m very happy to confirm, as someone who believes in Scotland’s place as part of the UK, that separatists do not speak for me. They do not get to explain to anyone else why I voted the way I did in 2014, they do not get to tell anyone how I feel about it now, and they certainly don’t get to claim to know what I want to happen next.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 10:56   #3913
jfman
Architect of Ideas

They don't need to speak for you, it simply has to resonate with enough voters to prompt them to buy into the SNP manifesto commitment around it.

While it may well have been something else had the UK remained in the EU, it would have to be compelling to enough voters to persuade them to back the SNP on that basis.

Equally what people want to happen next is for them to decide in elections and any subsequent referendum if it takes place.

Scottish voters at a fixed point in time don't get to unilaterally decide their opinion is the only one that matters for 25, 40, 100 years regardless of what happens in the intervening period.

Last edited by jfman; 29-03-2021 at 11:01.
Old 29-03-2021, 11:15   #3914
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Correct but if the Scottish electorate votes for the SNP then they are knowingly asking their government to hold a referendum on independence. People and parties change their minds.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2021, 11:38   #3915
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
No, we didn’t.

The referendum question had no caveats - it was “Should Scotland become an independent country?” With the available answers limited to “yes” or “no”.

Obviously the losing side will argue that things change. If it hadn’t been the EU it would have been something else. I don’t think anyone can seriously argue that the SNP would have just given up no matter what.

One thing to bear in mind is that any of the “but we were promised” arguments, like EU membership, are being made by people who weren’t inclined to listen to those promises in any case. The argument about promised EU membership is being made by separatists, on behalf of those who did not, and do not, support them.

I’m very happy to confirm, as someone who believes in Scotland’s place as part of the UK, that separatists do not speak for me. They do not get to explain to anyone else why I voted the way I did in 2014, they do not get to tell anyone how I feel about it now, and they certainly don’t get to claim to know what I want to happen next.
You might not have done but others might have done.

Again, why are people so hell bent on there not being another referendum. Whether people like it or not, a massive change happened to the UK after the result. I believe that would warrant another referendum based on that outcome.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote