Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5g question

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service

5g question

Old 13-04-2021, 13:09   #16
trublue
cf.addict

Services: Ultimate Volt
trublue is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 5g question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Did you use the Mobile account coverage checker link, or the link posted by pip08456?
I signed into my account,then clicked the link"can I get 5g" Which shows 2,3,4 and 5g available.I then scrolled down to the coverage checker, which took me to the signal strength checker and that shows 2,3 and 4g only,as you mentioned. Piece of cake if you know what to do
trublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-04-2021, 21:24   #17
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I bought the Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G at launch as it was the exact same price as the 4G version.

Even though I have no 5G in my area it will one day arrive and even then I can sell the phone as a 5G model for a better price than the 4G version.
Old 21-04-2021, 12:08   #18
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

There is a notice on a light near me that says they are putting in a telecoms mast, so hopefully I can get a 4G connection.
Old 21-04-2021, 14:00   #19
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublue View Post
Thanks, guys. I have had the sim for a couple of years but recently changed it because it was faulty. I asked if the new sim was 5g and was told, all sims are 5g compatible.
I followed that link pip08456, it just took me round in circles.
I have since phoned CS, but sorry to say, I found it hard to understand what she was saying. The funny thing is when I check using my postcode it says 5G is available, but the list of all the cities and towns that can get it does not mention my home town, Blackburn.
Sounds like the sim might need replacing. I know that when I upgraded to my current iPhone 12 recently, Three sent me a new sim. I have only been a 3 customer a couple of years, so I was surprised my old sim wasn't compatible.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 14:09   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

All SIMs Virgin Mobile customers are currently on are compatible with the Vodafone radio network which allows for the 5G service.

The switchover needs to happen at Virgin Media's end.
Old 26-04-2021, 14:44   #21
Grimpy
cf.addict

Grimpy is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the ultimate oompth bundle and just contacted mobile support asking the same question. My phone is a OnePlus 9 and this is the answer they gave when asking why I can't get 5g when it's supported in my town:

"Thank you very much, Apologies, the 5G network for Virgin only works on the following phone:

Apple: iPhone 11, iPhone 12
Samsung: Galaxy A42 5G, S21 5G, A32 5G, and A52 5G
Sony: Sony Xperia 5 II 5G
Oppo: Fine X3 5G"
Grimpy is offline   Reply With Quote