Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 4K Freesat Box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

4K Freesat Box

Old 04-10-2020, 04:34   #1
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
4K Freesat Box

I have a friend who i drink with who is considering changing his old freesatHD box to a 4K box with a dual tuner.

Since he only has a connection for 1 tuner at the moment and lives in communal flats it maybe difficult to get the second one installed.

My question is this, if he only uses a single tuner will the box still work but u cannot record from another channel while watching one?

Thanks
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-10-2020, 13:38   #2
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: 4K Freesat Box

The following comes with a disclaimer, I've not looked into this in a while.

The answer isn't as straightforward as you may think. Simple answer, that is indeed the case. It will likely work but your friend will be limited to watching a previous recording whilst recording something new.

The complication is that I think it is possible to record from another channel at the same time if it is on the same satellite transponder. The likelihood is that it won't be on the same place, so mostly it would be the way you already described.

I'm only bringing up what I'm about to because of the way you worded it in the first paragraph. As far as I recall the Non-Recording box of the new 4K FreeSat models has two tuners despite it not having a recording feature, so please be careful.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 13:44   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If the box has a single feed mode, then it should be able to watch and record simultaneously, as long as both the channels in question are broadcast with the same polarisation. Sat signals are broadcast with either vertical or horizontal polarisation and the LNB can only deliver one or the other down the cable at the same time.

When we got our first Freesat recorder we used it with a single cable for a few weeks until I got up on the roof to install a new LNB and extra cable. From memory, it worked reasonably well.

There are websites that tell you the broadcast frequencies of satellite channels, including the signal polarity. This will give you a good idea which channel combinations will work together and which won't.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 17:31   #4
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Thanks Chris. I knew something about what I said was wrong.
Old 06-10-2020, 00:28   #5
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

This is the box in question hes looking to use...........

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Freesat-UHD...s%2C155&sr=8-4
Old 06-10-2020, 00:47   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post

Non recordable? He won't have a problem then.
Old 06-10-2020, 00:50   #7
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:

Well that's the Non-Recordable 4K box. It says so right at the top.

The lowest capacity (cheapest) version of the 4K Recordable box is this

It's available at multiple other UK retailers if they have stock problems by the way.
Old 06-10-2020, 02:12   #8
alanbjames
R.I.P.

i know it says non recordable thats what he wants but if u check out the images of the thing it clearly shows 2 tuners.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:06   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

A non-recording box doesn’t need 2 tuners
Old 06-10-2020, 08:43   #10
alanbjames
R.I.P.

i know but the images are missleading.
Old 06-10-2020, 12:20   #11
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
i know it says non recordable thats what he wants but if u check out the images of the thing it clearly shows 2 tuners.
It is the non-recordable box though. There was much talk about the 2nd tuner when it launched on Digital Spy forums with a few speculating it might be for recording to USB stick feature being added in a future software update. It's months later, and none of the software updates have added this.

The box on your link is the same as the non-recordable one on the official Freesat website. Same approx price too.

The official Freesat page for their recordable box is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
A non-recording box doesn’t need 2 tuners
Some of DS forum posters have said it's to allow EPG updates and other background tasks that require a tuner, having two tuners allows certain processes to happen more often than they would happen with one. That's the way I understood it anyway.
-------
The very long DS thread about the new Freesat 4K boxes that started back in February with the release of the non-recordable box is here. Read the discussion about the two tuners in the non-recordable box for yourselves.
Old 12-10-2020, 22:43   #12
punkrock101
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Freesat, Sky Gigafast FTTP Broadband, Virgin Gig1
punkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enoughpunkrock101 will become famous soon enough

I think the reason that the Freesat non recording 4K box has two inputs is for compatibility with Sky Q LNBs. As each input cable will have its own polarisation eg input 1 vertical input 2 horizontal.
punkrock101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 17:01   #13
ScottishSteve
cf.addict

ScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of lightScottishSteve is a glorious beacon of light

An official answer on the product page says

Question: Why does it have two tuners if it doesn't record?

Answer: Our 4K TV Boxes have two tuners because they are compatible with most UK satellite dishes, so if your box is connected to a dish with wideband LNB or standard LNB (using 2 cables) it will use one of the tuners to tune into the channel you’re viewing and the other to tune to our home transponder. This enables the box to receive programme information and any available software updates at the same time.
ScottishSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2020, 18:17   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

The EPG will certainly load faster if it has a second tuner dedicated to it. I suspect there are also cost savings in only having to produce a single box design. If you open one of these up I’m guessing there’s just an empty bay where the more expensive box has a hard drive.