Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

UK & EU Agree Post-Brexit Trade Deal
Closed Thread

Old 21-10-2020, 20:15   #4306
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Again? Don't you mean "still", as they've never stopped?

The word "Compromise" to them means "give in to our demands".
Well if, sorry when they turn up with the same attitude just slam the door in their face and it's hey ho wto.
Old 21-10-2020, 20:48   #4307
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Well if, sorry when they turn up with the same attitude just slam the door in their face and it's hey ho wto.
If they were going to turn up with the same attitude, they simply could have said so, on fishing and their notion of "level playing field".
On fishing they could've simply said "yes, you control UK waters, but can we come to an understanding on quotas". They haven't, so nothing doing as far as "negotiations" are concerned. Fishing shouldn't be a pre-condition for everything else. Just crazy on the EU's part.
Old 21-10-2020, 21:16   #4308
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Need to wait and see if Sleepy Joe or Covidiot Don wins. No friends in the world if it’s the former.
Old 21-10-2020, 22:02   #4309
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Need to wait and see if Sleepy Joe or Covidiot Don wins. No friends in the world if it’s the former.
I'm not so sure you're right there. In fact I'm certain you're wrong given this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_t...United_Kingdom

You are capable of better arguments than you've just made.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 21-10-2020, 22:04   #4310
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm not so sure you're right there. In fact I'm certain you're wrong given this:

First line on that link...

Quote:
This article possibly contains unsourced predictions, speculative material, or accounts of events that might not occur. Information must be verifiable and based on reliable published sources.

Please help improve it by removing unsourced speculative content.
(October 2020)
And you may have missed this from before.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/17/brex...t-for-gfa.html
Quote:
"We can’t allow the Good Friday Agreement that brought peace to Northern Ireland to become a casualty of Brexit,” Biden said on Twitter late Wednesday.

The U.K. agreed with the European Union at the end of 2019, as part of its departure from the bloc, that state aid granted to Northern Ireland which would impact trade with the EU would need approval from Brussels. This commitment, which was translated into law in January, aimed to prevent a harder border between Northern Ireland (a member of the U.K.) and the Republic of Ireland (a member of the EU) and respected the Good Friday Agreement — a U.S. brokered deal that brought peace between both parts of the island in the late 1990s.

The bill — called the Internal Market Bill — would also potentially change requirements that Northern Irish firms complete export summary declarations when shipping goods to the mainland.

Any trade deal between the U.S. and U.K. must be contingent upon respect for the Agreement and preventing the return of a hard border. Period,” the presidential hopeful also said via Twitter, suggesting a trade deal with the United States could be at risk if Biden enters the White House.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 21-10-2020 at 22:07.
Old 21-10-2020, 22:18   #4311
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I've little doubt that Joe Biden will be in power come November and he will be keen to sign a trade deal with one his country's key trading partners. The EU.

Sadly, back of the queue for a deal will be Britain given BoJo's affiliations to Trump via the Vote Leave campaign and the threat to the Good Friday Agreement with the Internal Marker Bill. If we're looking for a positive here, it makes the arrival of chlorinated chicken on these shores less imminent.

https://qz.com/1467877/read-the-emai...non-to-brexit/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...el-Farage.html

---------- Post added at 22:18 ---------- Previous post was at 22:05 ----------

Quote:

Putting aside the possible data concerns highlighted by Hugh, if correct this does largely support jfman's arguments. Of our largest export markets, the only country we have a deal with is Switzerland and BoJo has scuppered the chance of a deal anytime soon with the US by his closeness to Trump.
Therefore, striking a deal with the EU becomes ever more important with the US out of reach. Expect more rolling-over on BoJo's part!
Old 21-10-2020, 22:25   #4312
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
<SNIP>

Putting aside the possible data concerns highlighted by Hugh, if correct this does largely support jfman's arguments. Of our largest export markets, the only country we have a deal with is Switzerland and BoJo has scuppered the chance of a deal anytime soon with the US by his closeness to Trump.
Therefore, striking a deal with the EU becomes ever more important with the US out of reach. Expect more rolling-over on BoJo's part.
I think you should ignore Hugh. He's very selective about his point and does not pay attention to the long list of countries with whom we are making progress.

A bit out of date, but as Hugh doesn't like Wikipedia when I quote it:

https://ahdb.org.uk/An-update-on-pos...it-trade-deals

Other than that, yes, striking a deal with the EU is important.

Old 21-10-2020, 22:48   #4313
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:

I’m somewhat exaggerating, but the prospect of no imminent deals with the USA, China or the EU who account for 56% of world GDP would leave us scraping together deals and certainly in a weakened negotiating position. With Japan, India plus a plethora of countries who account for 2% and aren’t on our doorstep.

I genuinely think the whole strategy is on pause to see what happens in the USA.
Old 21-10-2020, 23:03   #4314
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
I think you should ignore Hugh. He's very selective about his point and does not pay attention to the long list of countries with whom we are making progress.

A bit out of date, but as Hugh doesn't like Wikipedia when I quote it:

https://ahdb.org.uk/An-update-on-pos...it-trade-deals

Other than that, yes, striking a deal with the EU is important.

I don’t have a problem with Wiki, I just pointed out that Wiki stated the article you linked to possibly contains unsourced predictions, speculative material, or accounts of events that might not occur (their words, not mine).

Speaking of "selective", we were discussing trade deals with the USA, and the impact on these if Biden gets elected, and you post a link that doesn’t mention the USA at all...
Old 21-10-2020, 23:16   #4315
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
I’m somewhat exaggerating, but the prospect of no imminent deals with the USA, China or the EU who account for 56% of world GDP would leave us scraping together deals and certainly in a weakened negotiating position. With Japan, India plus a plethora of countries who account for 2% and aren’t on our doorstep.

I genuinely think the whole strategy is on pause to see what happens in the USA.
Well, that's alright then.

Maybe I'm wrong, but a trade deal with the US, which we don't have now, isn't terribly important other than as an in your face to the EU.

A trade deal with China, well they don't care about Northern Ireland. Anything could happen there. Better though that we start manufacturing our own white goods or whatever.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I don’t have a problem with Wiki, I just pointed out that Wiki stated the article you linked to possibly contains unsourced predictions, speculative material, or accounts of events that might not occur (their words, not mine).

Speaking of "selective", we were discussing trade deals with the USA, and the impact on these if Biden gets elected, and you post a link that doesn’t mention the USA at all...
I was responding to jfman and nobody else - specifically his point that if Biden wins, we'll have no friends left in the world.

jfman subsequently admitted he was exaggerating but that's how poor argument gets built on.

Your first paragraph is obtuse and worthless.

Old 21-10-2020, 23:32   #4316
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I’d say a trade deal with one of the big 3 is essential. I do think China care about Huawei, even if Iain Duncan Smith doesn’t.
Old 21-10-2020, 23:58   #4317
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
I’d say a trade deal with one of the big 3 is essential. I do think China care about Huawei, even if Iain Duncan Smith doesn’t.
Of the Big 3:
- China is ruled out - no negotiations scheduled
- USA is ruled out due to Internal Market Bill and Boris's links to soon-to-be-ex-President Trump

Therefore, the EU is the only show left in town. No wonder BoJo sent David Frost back to the negotiating table.
Old 22-10-2020, 00:01   #4318
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Of the Big 3:
- China is ruled out - no negotiations scheduled
- USA is ruled out due to Internal Market Bill and Boris's links to soon-to-be-ex-President Trump

Therefore, the EU is the only show left in town. No wonder BoJo sent David Frost back to the negotiating table.
You know this, how?
Old 22-10-2020, 00:17   #4319
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Well, that's alright then.

Maybe I'm wrong, but a trade deal with the US, which we don't have now, isn't terribly important other than as an in your face to the EU.

A trade deal with China, well they don't care about Northern Ireland. Anything could happen there. Better though that we start manufacturing our own white goods or whatever.

---------- Post added at 23:16 ---------- Previous post was at 23:12 ----------

I was responding to jfman and nobody else - specifically his point that if Biden wins, we'll have no friends left in the world.

jfman subsequently admitted he was exaggerating but that's how poor argument gets built on.

Your first paragraph is obtuse and worthless.

You think that the fact Wiki think their article may lack credence is "obtuse and worthless"?

Fair enough - their problem, not mine...
Old 22-10-2020, 00:40   #4320
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
You know this, how?
Which aspects are you querying? Everything has been covered in recent links in this thread except for perhaps the US election where Biden's lead over Trump is increasing.
Closed Thread