Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Network dying using torrents

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Network dying using torrents

Old 21-09-2020, 19:12   #1
Arty2K16
cf.member

Arty2K16 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Network dying using torrents

Hi all!

Well this 1 has me stumped, I'm an Ultimate oomph user with 500Mb internet.
I'm pretty sure using a browser i can download files fast without the network cutting out... BUT....

For this example, I am using u Torrent to download the latest Ubuntu distro, but after hitting around 20(ish)MB/s download speed, it sorta kills my network. As in I cant visit any webpages or even access my local NAS, and I get a popup saying that HP scan cannot be contacted (which is a valid message)
Problem is, this has only happened since I updated Windows 8.1 (this is my OS, sorry should have stated that earlier) so I'm pretty convinced something nefarious may be going on. No other error messages show up, my network card stays on its just like it vanishes for about 30 seconds, then it is back up again.

I did a bit of playing around and I found it does not do this if I limit u Torrent to 19Mb its fine, but obviously this isn't ideal..

apart from wiping the system bare (yet AGAIN, Id only just got it reinstalled from the last bout of network dying) I am at a loss, can somebody, ANYBODY help me out please?

More info is available if you need it. thank you very much in advance.
Arty2K16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 21-09-2020, 19:18   #2
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: network dying using torrents

Sounds like the upload is set too high. uTorrent upload speed should be set at no higher than 80% of your upload speed otherwise you will just throttle yourself.
pip08456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 19:30   #3
Arty2K16
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Sounds like the upload is set too high. uTorrent upload speed should be set at no higher than 80% of your upload speed otherwise you will just throttle yourself.
I'm not uploading much at all, only a few KB's/s at the time, but i know from previous using I can max my upload out fully with no problems.

Its a weird 1 as it don't cut out when transferring files to and from my NAS, and I can still do HTTP downloads while that is happpening *shrug*
Old 21-09-2020, 20:06   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Whatever is going on it sounds like it is killing the network connection on your pc and not your actual network. That is why all devices are unreachable from the pc however any other devices on the network should be able to access the NAS for example. Taking your word for it and assuming that it is something iffy with windows 8.1, rather than trying to work out what the problem is which is a lot of time and effort, the easiest and most beneficial solution for you would be to installed Windows 10. It took me 6 mins (clean installation) and then you just need to install your progs and stuff afterwards.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 20:22   #5
Arty2K16
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
Whatever is going on it sounds like it is killing the network connection on your pc and not your actual network. That is why all devices are unreachable from the pc however any other devices on the network should be able to access the NAS for example. Taking your word for it and assuming that it is something iffy with windows 8.1, rather than trying to work out what the problem is which is a lot of time and effort, the easiest and most beneficial solution for you would be to installed Windows 10. It took me 6 mins (clean installation) and then you just need to install your progs and stuff afterwards.
Well, when it cuts out i cannot access any network features and pings to the superhub time out till it "magically" comes back up.

I am not enjoying the thought of having Windows 10 "SPYWARE EDITION" on my system again, in fact I was being stubborn in using Win 7 right up till they stopped supporting it and my only other option was Win 8.1 which i actualy love, its just this feature/bug I cant get around.

If I have to i will do a reformat & reload on it and install updates 1 at a time till I find out the culprit (thinking it may be something to do with Microsoft Compatibility telemetry & COMPATTELRUNNER.EXE which I have manually deleted - dont need it and dont appreciate telemetrics)
but heres towards a long process of elimination lol
Old 21-09-2020, 20:42   #6
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

What value do you have for maximum peers in UT ?

You may just be running out of TCP connections/sockets.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 20:44   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty2K16 View Post
Well, when it cuts out i cannot access any network features and pings to the superhub time out till it "magically" comes back up.
that's not the network or the shub going down though, it is a process or the nic dying on the pc. Your network is fine.

Quote:
I was being stubborn in using Win 7 right up till they stopped supporting it and my only other option was Win 8.1
me to, I left it right to the last minute and made the switch to Windows 10. There was no way I was going to install Windows 8.

As a side note, have you had a look at your system resources when it happens? I am just wondering if when your nic gets to a certain load it kills the ram or cpu or something. Next time it happens take a look at Task Manager or Resource Monitor. If Windows is actually showing you losing your network connection you could have a look at Event Viewer as well to see if it is generating any errors.

Old 21-09-2020, 20:49   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Windows 8 is a supported version of Windows 7, not sure why you would avoid it in preference to the horrible Win 10. For that matter, why move from Win 7, its still running all my desktops, and I have no intention of changing that anytime soon. Just becasue its not longer "supported" doesnt mean it stops working.

Old 21-09-2020, 21:27   #9
Arty2K16
cf.member

This is the screenshot. I rerun the setup to let it detect my settings, but it still cuts out.

I even experimented by changing the torrent folder to my boot SSD, as I know this has no problems with speed, but nope, it still cuts out.
*sweary word* at technology!

EDIT********
So I have DU Meter installed and have done for the past decade, it it this task toolbar that informs me when it cuts out, and I had a timer running to show when it cuts off
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uTorr1.jpg (229.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg dropout.jpg (214.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Arty2K16; 21-09-2020 at 21:32. Reason: added extra info
Old 21-09-2020, 21:53   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Way too many connections in use.

You dont need 125 per torrent, or 900 global.
Thats a recipie for overloading a router, and windows.

Reduce them to something reasonable, like 25 & 250, and try again.

Old 22-09-2020, 00:55   #11
Arty2K16
cf.member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Way too many connections in use.

You dont need 125 per torrent, or 900 global.
Thats a recipie for overloading a router, and windows.

Reduce them to something reasonable, like 25 & 250, and try again.
Thats strange as I have had these settings for the last 9+ years and this has never happened.

I have changed the settings but this is STILL happening.. its gotta be a microsoft thing.

EDIT***

I have just tried on my *MUCH* slower laptop Ive been meaning to update and it went fine, even with the high values set in uTorrent, so now I am even more convinced its Microsoft related..

Looks like this coming week is gonna be spent at my screen, refomat & reload and test it before and after each update until I find the culprit!

Thanks all that have commented here.
Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled.png (171.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 22-09-2020, 15:04   #12
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Thats strange as I have had these settings for the last 9+ years and this has never happened.
That doesnt change the fact they are way too big.
Unfortunately most people think that larger numbers are "better", thats just not the case, and indeed it can become detremental.

Quote:
I have changed the settings but this is STILL happening.. its gotta be a microsoft thing.
Yep, if your still getting issues, something else is at play.

Old 22-09-2020, 19:39   #13
General Maximus
Ran Away

It used to be an issue years ago but even one of my old linksys routers remedied the problem and could handle 2000 connections. I never have a problem though, I set my client to 2 simultaneous downloads as I find it blasts through them at full speed (seconds) as opposed to having many files going at the same time at much slower speeds and it doesn't use all the available bandwidth.
Old 23-09-2020, 22:45   #14
oscarandjo
cf.member

oscarandjo is on a distinguished roadoscarandjo is on a distinguished road
Re: Network dying using torrents

I've found in the past Virgin Superhubs really choked when I'd play PC games with a server browser.

When you clicked 'refresh', it would simultaneously connect to hundreds/thousands of servers to get metadata such as player counts, ping, etc. At the same time, my internet would completely drop out, both on my own PC and on other devices.

What fixed this was to go into my game settings and turn down the maximum connection rate to 100 from uncapped.

Routers will often choke when faced with too many simultaneous connections.

Even if the router didn't choke, in order to sustain 900 torrent connections, much of your bandwidth will be wasted on BitTorrent protocol overheads rather than the actual content you aim to download - it's counter intuitive.
oscarandjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 00:08   #15
Rik
cf.mega poster

Services: 1Gbps Broadband
Rik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpackRik has a very nice sixpack
Re: Network dying using torrents

I would ensure you have the latest drivers for your NIC.

If you have a second NIC or another Network Card lying around you could try that and see if the issue is still present.

Sure I had this issue many moons ago, around 10+ years and it was either driverss for the network card or a hardware problem with the card, can quite remember.
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote