Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Max speed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Max speed

Old 19-09-2020, 00:20   #1
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts
Max speed

What is the max download speed for 350mb BB I've been doing speed tests in the last few weeks after getting random BB drop outs and they've all been coming out at around 200/210mb.

However I downloaded an Nvidia driver tonight and was getting around 26mb/s download. does this seem right for 350mb?

I'm running my own router at the min and over the weekend going to switch back to the VM one just to have a look at the settings see whats going on as it could be my router.

I'm using a Netgear R6400 AC1750
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-09-2020, 08:59   #2
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Max speed

Good morning.

Your max speed will be over 350Mb. I used to get around 360Mb when I was on that service. Did you achieve over 350Mb before you started having problems? Also, are you using a wired connection to the device you are testing speed on, or are you using WiFi? Only a wired connection to an ethernet port will give you consistent maximum speed.

Don't worry about the download speed from the Nvidia server. Only the fastest servers will upload to you at over 350Mb or more, e.g. some of the game servers. Nvidia may have been having a busy time anyway.

Your R6400 is a model capable of up to 700Mb, so that won't be a problem.

First off, if you haven't already done so, I would reboot your modem, power off/power on. (It wouldn't do any harm to reboot your R6400 too.) Then check the Hub3 configuration to see if it is set for >350MB. If it isn't, a call to customer services would be needed. You can look at your modem settings without your Hub3 in router mode. Just type 192.168.100.1 into your browser url bar. That's its IP in modem mode.

Post your Hub3 config here if you aren't sure or if things haven't improved - maybe also your power levels. Someone more experienced than me might spot a problem.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 09:45   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

All VM services are over provisioned to ensure you can achieve advertised speed. As an example, the 350mbit service is provisioned at 402mbits so you can get 350mbits.

I consistently get 378mbits in my speed tests and that translates to ~43MB/sec in real world downloads so if you are getting 26MB/sec it isn't good enough.

As roughbeast said, has it always been like this or have you been able to achieve max speed previously? When you do a speed test you are doing it for a specific diagnostic reason and you should always use VM's test servers wherever the closest one is to you. VM's servers are sat on their network so if you can't achieve full speed on your isp's network then there is no chance you are going to get it when you leave and go to a third party server where links outside the network can impact performance. Before we make any further suggestions can you run a test at speedtest.net and post the results. Do it in the morning and not in the evening.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 11:50   #4
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

BT have a useful option where you can do a speed test from their servers to your router. Useful if you are trying to locate where your loss is.

Getting 200Mpbs on a 350Mpbs service can easily be issue relating to the internal network and/or device being used to test the speed.

VM tend only accept an issue if you use a PC with a 1Gb Network card connected via ethernet direct to the super hub.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 12:11   #5
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
VM tend only accept an issue if you use a PC with a 1Gb Network card connected via ethernet direct to the super hub.
I agree, it eliminates a load cheap 3rd party routers and wifi devices which customers dont know how to use and can be the cause of the problem. It makes sense to do a test 9n a device which you know can physically achieve the speed and on a link which you know can handle the speed.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 12:34   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

I can only achieve a max download using a download manager such as Internet Download Manager and im on 500mb using my own Netgear Nighthawk X6 R800 router flashed with the latest DDWRT firmware as Netgear firmware is awful.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 12:41   #7
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Our 200mbps service, internally wired around the house, has been running at half that for months. Complaints have come to nothing.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 12:49   #8
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

version V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 was the last good download on the X6 but even that has dodgy speed readings from the router. It all went wrong when Armor was added.

You can reload old versions of the firmeware but there is a bit of missing about.

I use a X6 connected to the PC by a 1Gb card.

Download speed is usually in excess of 550Mbps - using Ookla Speedtest app.

I usually try a couple of different servers if one comes back low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
I can only achieve a max download using a download manager such as Internet Download Manager and im on 500mb using my own Netgear Nighthawk X6 R800 router flashed with the latest DDWRT firmware as Netgear firmware is awful.

Last edited by ozsat; 20-09-2020 at 12:53.
Old 20-09-2020, 13:28   #9
alanbjames
R.I.P.

alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
version V1.0.4.28_10.1.54 was the last good download on the X6 but even that has dodgy speed readings from the router. It all went wrong when Armor was added.

You can reload old versions of the firmeware but there is a bit of missing about.

I use a X6 connected to the PC by a 1Gb card.

Download speed is usually in excess of 550Mbps - using Ookla Speedtest app.

I usually try a couple of different servers if one comes back low.
As i said i dont use Netgear official firmware its awful, i use DDWRT.
Old 20-09-2020, 16:07   #10
ozsat
cf.mega poster

I see now - are you getting full speed (550?) via the R8000 with DD-WRT?

I get 550Mpbs reading on the Ookla speedtest most of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
As i said i dont use Netgear official firmware its awful, i use DDWRT.

Last edited by ozsat; 20-09-2020 at 16:11.
Old 20-09-2020, 17:04   #11
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Yes i get full speed on DDWRT.
Old 21-09-2020, 08:10   #12
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Gavin. You need to get back to us if you want any more comment.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 02:15   #13
Gavin78
Ice Cold

Services: XL TV M Phone 200MB BB
Gavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these partsGavin78 is just so famous around these parts

Hi, I only got around to sorting the issue out on Thursday last week. I reverted back to the hub 3.0 router and took away the old one.

Seems to have solved the issue and it's more stable. My old router had the latest firmware and wasn't that cheap to buy so not sure what the issue was with it.
Gavin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 11:01   #14
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Gavin Netgear have good hardware its just their firmware is poor.