Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The NINE Word Story

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > General Entertainment

Atlantic 252

Old 14-02-2023, 12:41   #1
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media, DAB
Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era
Atlantic 252

The thread about AM radio starting to become very last century, it got me thinking about the time when long wave got a big shot in the arm at the dtar of the 1990s with the launch of Atlantic 252.

I used to listen to it back in the day and I was wondering if others also used to listen to it, especially when it was at its height in the first half of the 1990s.

And who was your favourite presenter(s)? My favourite was mid-morning presenter Henry Owens (real name Henry Condon).
Rillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2023, 13:44   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Atlantic 252

Well now, let me think …

Favourite memory of it was the newsreader reciting the lyrics to Step On in his newsreader voice over a backing track. Heard one morning on the school bus (a coach, with a sound system, and a driver who loved Atlantic 252).

Around the same time (summer 1990 most likely) discovering exactly what a playlist and heavy rotation meant, as a sixth former supervising younger kids on an orienteering day, sitting next to a car in the sunshine with the radio on all day.

And from 1991 to 1994 listening to it on almost every occasion radio was required because you could pick up precious little else in the corner of south west Wales where I was studying. Including the time they changed the phrase that pays to “I listen to the best music on the Jackson station - Long Wave Radio Atlantic 252” because they utterly lost their minds over Black or White and seemed to have it on some sort of super-heavy rotation.

Fun times.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 14:05   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Only memories I have are listening on the school bus. It used to be on every day on the way to school. Back in the 90's.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 17:46   #4
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

No memories of it at all, I never listened to it.
(unless perhaps unknowingly, when it was on in the background).

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2023, 21:29   #5
Inactive Digital
cf.addict

Services: VM broadband, Stream, phone. Sky Q
Inactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to beholdInactive Digital is a splendid one to behold

I remember discovering Atlantic 252 in the late 90s while on a family holiday near Barmouth. FM reception wasn't great in the village we were staying (Arthog, for anyone who's ever been on a school trip to the area!), but we picked up 252 with no issues as it was broadcast across the Irish Sea.
Inactive Digital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 20:41   #6
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
I remember discovering Atlantic 252 in the late 90s while on a family holiday near Barmouth. FM reception wasn't great in the village we were staying (Arthog, for anyone who's ever been on a school trip to the area!), but we picked up 252 with no issues as it was broadcast across the Irish Sea.
I know the area and reception of anything still isn't good. But with scenery like they have around there who cares?
BTW last time I saw, some cheeky schoolboy had renamed Arthog to Warthog with spray paint
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2023, 23:51   #7
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Fun (?) fact: 252 jocks had to present their shows standing up. In fact chairs were banned for DJs in the studio completely as the higher-ups wanted them to sound more energetic and believed having them front shows sitting down encouraged them to sound “laid back” and complacent.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2023, 20:34   #8
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

I first heard it on a holiday in North Wales. The lady in an ice cream stall on the sea front at Llandudno had it on in the background. Took me a while to twig it was actually on Long Wave as you instinctively looked for 252 metres rather than Khz.

There is an interesting video on Youtube of the Clarkestown transmitter site. Two water cooled 300Kw Continental Electronics units were used in parallel during the daytime. The electricity bill for running them even in 1990 was £1100 a day, so someone had to have deep pockets to keep the station on the air.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdeFTOjkpzY
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 12:00   #9
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Fun (?) fact: 252 jocks had to present their shows standing up. In fact chairs were banned for DJs in the studio completely as the higher-ups wanted them to sound more energetic and believed having them front shows sitting down encouraged them to sound “laid back” and complacent.
That was a practice Charlie "Wolf Man Jack" Wolf bought over from America. If you are standing up you project your voice a lot more than sitting down.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2023, 12:08   #10
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

IIRC Chris Moyles did it during his stint on Radio 1 breakfast.
Old 22-02-2023, 04:27   #11
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
No memories of it at all, I never listened to it.
(unless perhaps unknowingly, when it was on in the background).
I didnt listen either...I listenend to some beacons and all below .500Mhz but no real stations.....
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2023, 12:57   #12
Rillington
cf.mega poster

Rillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation eraRillington has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
IIRC Chris Moyles did it during his stint on Radio 1 breakfast.
I think you are right, and many other presenters probably now do the same.

---------- Post added at 12:55 ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
and I think there's a certain logic to that argument.

I wonder if this was extended to Radio Luxembourg for its final years on air.

---------- Post added at 12:57 ---------- Previous post was at 12:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
In those remote western locations of the British Isles, Atlantic 252 was the only pop music station that was audible with any decent quality.
Old 09-09-2023, 19:06   #13
Rillington
cf.mega poster

and since my most recent posting on this topic, the mast which transmitted Atlantic 252, and later RTE Radio 1, has been demolished.
Old 09-09-2023, 19:58   #14
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rillington View Post
and since my most recent posting on this topic, the mast which transmitted Atlantic 252, and later RTE Radio 1, has been demolished.
Indeed it has.

Old 09-09-2023, 20:13   #15
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I worked on some tall broadcast masts and was told by the Chief Rigger how easy it would be to destroy almost every mast in the UK "with very basic materials and tools". I didn't enquire further, but this video shows the principle.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote