Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-01-2021, 16:44   #3031
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Red herring. Even Sweden is seeing an economic impact, despite taking no meaningful restrictions for the first 6-9 months.

The idea that there’s a lot of businesses out there that would thrive with people voluntarily shielding, many continuing to work from home for their own safety is mistaken. Businesses are in trouble either way.

Went to two local parks this weekend. One where I grew up had more people in it than I’ve seen in my entire life. The other nearby had about 80 folk it it when I did a quick count. I’m pretty confident anyone spending even half an hour to an hour there would have shared the space with 100 different people.
Our local mountain rescue were out again yesterday. Not for the first time since the pandemic began, the rescued parties were met by the polis at the foot of the hill and were handed fines for breaching covid rules. I don’t know which is worse, that they thought trying to climb a snow-capped Scottish mountain without the appropriate kit was a clever idea, or that so many months into this they still thought the lockdown rules didn’t apply to them. And no, they weren’t local (nobody local to here would be stupid enough to try to stroll up it in Hi-Tecs and a cagoule in the middle of winter).
Advertisement
Old 24-01-2021, 17:59   #3032
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Red herring. Even Sweden is seeing an economic impact, despite taking no meaningful restrictions for the first 6-9 months.

The idea that there’s a lot of businesses out there that would thrive with people voluntarily shielding, many continuing to work from home for their own safety is mistaken. Businesses are in trouble either way.
Is it a “Red-Herring”?

Of course Sweden is seeing an economic impact, the whole globe is. The severity of the impact is what the question is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/swed...-idINL8N2IW3EU

They seem to be doing a bit better than those around them?

It’s also not about businesses “ thriving “ it about businesses and people “surviving”.

We’ll all be living in the city of Bezosigrad within the kingdom Bezosistan, which was formed when all non-grocery retail collapsed.
Old 24-01-2021, 18:18   #3033
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Is it a “Red-Herring”?

Of course Sweden is seeing an economic impact, the whole globe is. The severity of the impact is what the question is.

https://www.reuters.com/article/swed...-idINL8N2IW3EU

They seem to be doing a bit better than those around them?

It’s also not about businesses “ thriving “ it about businesses and people “surviving”.

We’ll all be living in the city of Bezosigrad within the kingdom Bezosistan, which was formed when all non-grocery retail collapsed.
You're pretty much misunderstanding capitalism if you think that businesses can take a 10-15% loss of revenue and still have a workable model. Fixed costs like rent continue, loans need repaid, business rates etc. Letting a couple of staff go and using a bit less gas and leccy isn't going to balance the books.

If we want to save retail we need to reform the tax system. Not let the pandemic go.

Letting the pandemic go with increased risks of new variants and greater transmission will only realise your nightmare of Bezos dominating further. If I'm taking a risk leaving the house it's going to be to go to the pub, not shopping.

Last edited by jfman; 24-01-2021 at 18:22.
Old 24-01-2021, 18:29   #3034
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You're pretty much misunderstanding capitalism if you think that businesses can take a 10-15% loss of revenue and still have a workable model. Fixed costs like rent continue, loans need repaid, business rates etc. Letting a couple of staff go and using a bit less gas and leccy isn't going to balance the books.

If we want to save retail we need to reform the tax system. Not let the pandemic go.

Letting the pandemic go with increased risks of new variants and greater transmission will only realise your nightmare of Bezos dominating further. If I'm taking a risk leaving the house it's going to be to go to the pub, not shopping.
You’re mis-understanding the entrepreneurial skill and adaptability of the small/ medium businesses. 10-15% they can handle, 60-80-100% they can’t. You’re right about Tax/ business rates etc, that all needs to be addressed. But the small guys need footfall.
Old 24-01-2021, 18:40   #3035
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Skill and adaptability

Comedy gold. Either way it's not happening, ever. We've gone all in on the Oxford vaccine and Boris is committed to a lockdown to Easter.

Could see summer type easing similar to last year with the vaccine rollout ramping up significantly in the same time.
Old 24-01-2021, 18:50   #3036
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Skill and adaptability

Comedy gold.
Glad to see you find it funny and take pleasure in others losing their businesses and homes because they not even been given a chance to operate.
Old 24-01-2021, 18:54   #3037
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Glad to see you find it funny and take pleasure in others losing their businesses and homes because they not even been given a chance to operate.
I take no such pleasure at all, I'm sure most will read your post as a plain misrepresentation of my stance which has been consistent throughout.

There's so much entrepreneurial spirit they are the ones who were pleading for 80% furlough not 67%. Bear in mind non-essential retail remained open in tier 3 - I don't see many High Street success stories from that period. Amazon on the other hand...
Old 24-01-2021, 18:56   #3038
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

I believe he’s laughing at your comment, not small businesses
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 24-01-2021, 19:18   #3039
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If so many businesses could take 10-15% hits on their sales someone with just as much entrepreneurial spirit would enter the market and reduce the price skimming off percentages from each and every small business in their field and becoming that profitable 85% model.

That’s literally how supply and demand works in competitive markets.
Old 24-01-2021, 19:19   #3040
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I’m very aware of that Sherlock......but as JFman is the master of putting his words into others mouths I thought I’d do the same
Old 24-01-2021, 19:37   #3041
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I’m very aware of that Sherlock......but as JFman is the master of putting his words into others mouths I thought I’d do the same
I don't think I'm as transparent to be rumbled within two posts though.
Old 24-01-2021, 19:41   #3042
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Indeed, it only takes one.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 24-01-2021, 19:51   #3043
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
If so many businesses could take 10-15% hits on their sales someone with just as much entrepreneurial spirit would enter the market and reduce the price skimming off percentages from each and every small business in their field and becoming that profitable 85% model.

That’s literally how supply and demand works in competitive markets.
No one was saying they can take that kind of hit for a sustained period of several years.

But in between lockdowns when there was trading with restrictions, I witnessed lots of innovation. The pandemic was predicted to last a year or two ( based on initial vaccine predictions).

My point being that by using their savings, taking grants, loans, hopefully help with tax/rates etc with reduced revenue many businesses could probably just about get through, but no revenue at all? That’s a much tougher prospect.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Quote:
Rumbled years ago mate.
Old 24-01-2021, 21:57   #3044
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I find the messaging from the Government about when we can expect this lockdown to end a bit weird.

The lockdown looks like it's working. The cases have been trending downwards (deaths, a lagging indicator, will still increase for a week or so) as have the predictions of the 'R' number and the ONS projections of how many people are infected.

In addition to the lockdown working the vaccinations are still speeding along with nearly 500,000 people getting a vaccinated a day.

By March we should see far fewer cases and a drop off in hospitalisations and deaths. That will also come at a time when the majority of the top four groups classified as most at risk have been vaccinated.

I understand they've been caught out before with optimistic projections/assumptions that backfired so I fully understand the reluctance to commit to a hard date but why not share with us the metrics they'll use to end this. Even rough ones.

Are we talking a reduction in cases and the R Number to the same level as the spring? Or are we talking about all four at risk groups being vaccinated + some % of what remains? A bit of both?

What is it?
Old 24-01-2021, 22:06   #3045
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I suspect the plan is to hold onto lockdown as long as possible (Easter, potentially later) at the same time as ramping up vaccination. I think they want this to be the last one - better to do this one for 4 months than for 3 and then end up having to increase restrictions all over again.

They probably want to get the most vulnerable groups onto their second doses.

While there's optimism about the vaccine against other variants I think they want to see that in the real world, which in lockdown conditions could take a while to become clear.
Closed Thread