Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 21:18   #2356
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Plus it might go away by itself in the summer
I didn’t say that. But with the vaccination programme, we will in all probability see a much better situation come the summer.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:18   #2357
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Didn't Whitty or some Sage expert say that the majority of people who get Covid rarely have severe symptoms, and only have a relatively mild condition similar to a heavy cold?
If so why are we all cooped up like prisoners? I get the wearing of masks and other mitigations to lessen the spread, but the measures in place, especially in areas with very few cases, seem extreme.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:18   #2358
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Your statement is still not supported by facts, no matter how you want to spin it.

26 weeks immunity? You are having a laugh!
Not what was said Old Boy no matter how much you claim it to be. Anyone can go and read the posts for themselves.

Pierre, for example, didn’t need to elaborate on the point as he clearly understood the point I was making and it wasn’t that.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:19   #2359
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
You do realise there are over 17 million British defined as ‘vulnerable’ under the COVID vaccine priority list definitions? (I only included up to Group 6 in the attached chart).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...st-covid-when/

That’s going to take more than "a few weeks", even at a million doses per week (which we are nowhere near yet)..
With 2 million doses, we will get there, but even 1m will make a complete difference with the ability of our hospitals to cope.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:20   #2360
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I didn’t say that. But with the vaccination programme, we will in all probability see a much better situation come the summer.
I can go and find the post if you want OB - despite the fact the virus was already spreading in countries with weather equivalent to a North European summer you clutched at that straw last year.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:25   #2361
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Risk assessment is about being realistic, not "positive" - "hope" should never be part of a plan.
Realistic I can cope with. Unfortunately, all too many comments on this forum are well to the left of that. You can’t blame others for trying to redress the balance.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Quote:
Not enough until it became a method of pushing herd immunity by the back door, sadly.
Herd immunity is how this works. You can bleat all you like, but it’s nature.

Incidentally, it’s what the vaccination programme relies upon.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:26   #2362
jfman
Architect of Ideas

You know I mean herd immunity by allowing the virus to pass through the population uncontrolled. A policy so discredited now even Sweden have abandoned it and the King apologised.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:26   #2363
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Not what was said Old Boy no matter how much you claim it to be. Anyone can go and read the posts for themselves.

Pierre, for example, didn’t need to elaborate on the point as he clearly understood the point I was making and it wasn’t that.
I understood your point old chap, but simply didn’t agree with it!
Old 02-01-2021, 21:30   #2364
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
I understood your point old chap, but simply didn’t agree with it!
You literally did not understand it if your take away was that immunity would only last 26 weeks. Anyone can go back and read it for themselves.

As I say, I know your arguments in this topic are often found wanting but it’s not acceptable to misrepresent my posts in this manner.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:30   #2365
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Realistic I can cope with. Unfortunately, all too many comments on this forum are well to the left of that. You can’t blame others for trying to redress the balance.

---------- Post added at 20:25 ---------- Previous post was at 20:21 ----------

Herd immunity is how this works. You can bleat all you like, but it’s nature.

Incidentally, it’s what the vaccination programme relies upon.
You’re nearly correct. The statement you’re looking for is ‘A controlled, managed route to herd immunity, is how this works’

It’s a shame we don’t know how long the triggered immune response will last, herd immunity may never be achievable.....
Old 02-01-2021, 21:32   #2366
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I can go and find the post if you want OB - despite the fact the virus was already spreading in countries with weather equivalent to a North European summer you clutched at that straw last year.
This stupidity knows no bounds, does it?

Earlier last year there was a good deal of speculation that Covid would die down with the summer months, as SARS did and as conventional flu does. I recognised quite early on that hot countries were also having to contend with an exponential spread of the damn thing and amended my view on that basis.

Whilst the virus did indeed subside in the UK this summer, I am not entirely convinced that Covid is in any way seasonal. I think that was coincidental with the impact of the lockdown.

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:31 ----------

Quote:
You know I mean herd immunity by allowing the virus to pass through the population uncontrolled. A policy so discredited now even Sweden have abandoned it and the King apologised.
Except that I did not say ‘uncontrolled’.Twisting the facts as usual.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:33   #2367
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
This stupidity knows no bounds, does it?

Earlier last year there was a good deal of speculation that Covid would die down with the summer months,
None of it credible as it already has a presence in the Southern Hemisphere.

Quote:
as SARS did and as conventional flu does. I recognised quite early on that hot countries were also having to contend with an exponential spread of the damn thing and amended my view on that basis.
Alas, there was no straw left to clutch at.

Quote:
Whilst the virus did indeed subside in the UK this summer, I am not entirely convinced that Covid is in any way seasonal. I think that was coincidental with the impact of the lockdown.
It also subsided in lockdown, but I have yet to see you advocate that idea.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:33   #2368
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Didn't Whitty or some Sage expert say that the majority of people who get Covid rarely have severe symptoms, and only have a relatively mild condition similar to a heavy cold?
If so why are we all cooped up like prisoners? I get the wearing of masks and other mitigations to lessen the spread, but the measures in place, especially in areas with very few cases, seem extreme.

Today we had approx 57,000 cases
On 29th December we had 74,000 cases (by specimen date)

That’s with the majority of the country in the highest level of restrictions...

Do you still need to ask that question ?
Old 02-01-2021, 21:36   #2369
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
You literally did not understand it if your take away was that immunity would only last 26 weeks. Anyone can go back and read it for themselves.

As I say, I know your arguments in this topic are often found wanting but it’s not acceptable to misrepresent my posts in this manner.
Perhaps you could explain yourself in terms of my comment, which was clearly that if you seriously think that immunity only lasts for 26 weeks, you are simply being alarmist and with no facts to back up your case.

You stated this quite clearly, and that is what I was responding to. I don’t care about other points you were making - this one was clearly nonsense of the first order.
Old 02-01-2021, 21:38   #2370
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Perhaps you could explain yourself in terms of my comment, which was clearly that if you seriously think that immunity only lasts for 26 weeks, you are simply being alarmist and with no facts to back up your case.

You stated this quite clearly, and that is what I was responding to. I don’t care about other points you were making - this one was clearly nonsense of the first order.
I did not state this and it is quite clear for anyone else to go back and read the post you quoted.

I absolutely will not seriously engage with a post that has fabricated an argument that I did not make but nice try.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...postcount=2313

(Link for other members to consider if I said immunity from infection or vaccines would only last 26 weeks)

Last edited by jfman; 02-01-2021 at 21:42.
Closed Thread