Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 18-01-2021, 23:22   #8401
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Perhaps you would like to elaborate?
I think he’s referring to the ’Star’ branded menu they’re adding alongside Disney, Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar.
Advertisement
Old 18-01-2021, 23:23   #8402
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
It’s still speculation that Disney intend to stream the series rather than find a buyer for the rights - and the speculation itself is indicating it will be Hotstar offering it and not Disney Plus. Still remains to be seen if that’s the case.
I believe they have said they will be streaming it.

Yes they said via Hotstar, however they also said this would be available from 22/23rd Feb through Disney+.

This was quite bizarre as it means potential subscribers would miss the first 2 tests.

Not sure if there is anyother way to stream from Hotstar.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I think he’s referring to the ’Star’ branded menu they’re adding alongside Disney, Marvel, Star Wars and Pixar.

If he is I cannot see how that is 'more mature'
Old 18-01-2021, 23:31   #8403
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

Yes they said via Hotstar, however they also said this would be available from 22/23rd Feb through Disney+.

This was quite bizarre as it means potential subscribers would miss the first 2 tests.

---------- Post added at 22:23 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

If he is I cannot see how that is 'more mature'
Disney have said they’re putting content aimed at older audiences on Star. There will be 15 and probably 18 rated material, prompting them to introduce sophisticated parental controls to the service for the first time.
Old 18-01-2021, 23:50   #8404
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

It’s not been made official they intend to stream it via their platforms as yet.

Hotstar - https://www.hotstar.com/gb/ - is a wholly different service and proposition (its focused on Indian entertainment) from ‘Star’ which is going to be the brand on Disney Plus encompassing entertainment content that skews more adult.

Disney Plus is not going to be hosting any kind of sports at the launch of Star on 23/2/20 - it’s entirely focused on film and tv content.

There is a Times article about this that seems to confuse Star and Hotstar but they are two distinct products.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 19-01-2021 at 00:08.
Old 19-01-2021, 11:40   #8405
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
By ‘they’ you do of course mean ‘you’.

When any service provider is entirely reliant on a third party for product placement, that service provider becomes vulnerable. They no longer decide which of their shows come top of the menu. Worse, they may in time be asked to pay to appear, or pay more for prominence. If this occurs in an environment where it has become the norm for customers to access the product via a third party, the damage to the provider’s ability to get its product under the consumer’s nose may be significant.

Netflix has clearly decided the risk of allowing Google to control the UI is too great, and that there is a greater potential benefit in continuing to control their own, separately. That’s why they’ve withdrawn from it.
Well, some see only problems, others seek solutions.

Here is an outfit looking to plug that gap in the market, and good luck to them. If they can do it, so can VM.

https://advanced-television.com/2021...beta-launches/

[EXTRACT]

Must Ltd has announced the launch of beta site Must TV, which it says will “create an elegant solution to the problem of content discovery”.

Must TV highlights the best new TV by aggregating critics’ reviews of shows whilst building a comprehensive library of the content available across all streaming platforms. The site enables users to click straight through to shows, build watchlists and share views on socials.
Old 19-01-2021, 11:58   #8406
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

Here is an outfit looking to plug that gap in the market, and good luck to them. If they can do it, so can VM.

[EXTRACT]

Must Ltd has announced the launch of beta site Must TV, which it says will “create an elegant solution to the problem of content discovery”.

Must TV highlights the best new TV by aggregating critics’ reviews of shows whilst building a comprehensive library of the content available across all streaming platforms. The site enables users to click straight through to shows, build watchlists and share views on socials.
You clearly didn’t understand my post, but had the feeling I told you you were wrong about something and went off desperately looking for something you could use to reassure yourself you were right all along.

No matter how clever Must TV is, it doesn’t hand back control of the user interface to Netflix. Netflix want to control what they promote to their subscribers based on their own algorithms. Aggregating critic reviews is an intriguing idea but entirely besides my point. Unsurprisingly. And also slightly tragi-comic in that it took you almost a month to find what you thought was a smart comeback.
Old 19-01-2021, 14:02   #8407
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:

[EXTRACT]

As someone who beta tested Must tv for quite awhile it really isn't all that all it does is link you to the relevant catch up services aka my5, itvhub.
It's nothing thatt hasn't already been done see tvguide for example and you won't be surprised to learn it failed.
Old 19-01-2021, 14:19   #8408
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You clearly didn’t understand my post, but had the feeling I told you you were wrong about something and went off desperately looking for something you could use to reassure yourself you were right all along.

No matter how clever Must TV is, it doesn’t hand back control of the user interface to Netflix. Netflix want to control what they promote to their subscribers based on their own algorithms. Aggregating critic reviews is an intriguing idea but entirely besides my point. Unsurprisingly. And also slightly tragi-comic in that it took you almost a month to find what you thought was a smart comeback.
Not at all, Chris, I sent this because the article has just been published (therefore I could not send it before), and it demonstrated that it was possible to set up a system that links to programmes you select. That is the point I was trying to make.

A discussion, rather than an argument, would be nice.
Old 19-01-2021, 14:20   #8409
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I see blind optimism.
Old 19-01-2021, 14:43   #8410
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Not at all, Chris, I sent this because the article has just been published (therefore I could not send it before), and it demonstrated that it was possible to set up a system that links to programmes you select. That is the point I was trying to make.

A discussion, rather than an argument, would be nice.
Except that you haven’t engaged in the discussion yourself.

The reason brands dislike third party distributors is it gets in the way of the brand’s direct interaction with the consumer. Often it’s impossible for a brand to do much about it (channels on linear TV for example - they are slaves to whoever runs the EPG). In the case of streamers with strong brands, there is not yet any dominant distribution platform that they simply must be on. Most consumers are accustomed to interacting with each streamer directly, via its app. The streamers like this because it allows them to foster a direct relationship with the consumer, and decide for themselves what to recommend to them.

This is the point I made on 26 December, and which you ignored until today when you hit quote/reply and then pasted in something completely irrelevant to anything I had said.

So, if you want an actual discussion, how about responding to the points I have raised instead of blindly hoping something you found on the internet will do it for you?
Old 19-01-2021, 15:07   #8411
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Except that you haven’t engaged in the discussion yourself.

The reason brands dislike third party distributors is it gets in the way of the brand’s direct interaction with the consumer. Often it’s impossible for a brand to do much about it (channels on linear TV for example - they are slaves to whoever runs the EPG). In the case of streamers with strong brands, there is not yet any dominant distribution platform that they simply must be on. Most consumers are accustomed to interacting with each streamer directly, via its app. The streamers like this because it allows them to foster a direct relationship with the consumer, and decide for themselves what to recommend to them.

This is the point I made on 26 December, and which you ignored until today when you hit quote/reply and then pasted in something completely irrelevant to anything I had said.

So, if you want an actual discussion, how about responding to the points I have raised instead of blindly hoping something you found on the internet will do it for you?
Chris, it is not me who is missing the point. Continually on this forum, people try to make a point or observation, and if some disagree, they face a barrage of arguments that are not even relevant to the point that was being made.

Take this as an example. All I was saying was that there is a demand out there for everything to be on one box, so that one could subscribe to a platform (eg Virgin Media or Sky) search for a programme that was available on any app on the system, and to bookmark that programme to watch later, so it is listed with your recordings.

It currently works on the V6 but it won’t work on the 360, and some of you seem to think that Netflix is standing in the way.

I don’t know if you thought I was saying anything other than that - perhaps you thought I was talking about total integration (which I wasn’t). I was clearly talking about searching and bookmarking these apps in the same way as you can on the V6. That is all (although obviously further sophistication would be nice).

The reason I have just linked to the ‘Must TV’ article was to show that this continued to be possible.

I hope that clarifies the position.
Old 19-01-2021, 15:22   #8412
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Good news for those Muppet show fans on this forum.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/the...us-1234887422/

Quote:
Good news for Muppet enthusiasts – all five seasons of “The Muppet Show” will be available to stream on Disney Plus on Feb. 19.

Quote:
Created by the legendary Jim Henson, the original “Muppet Show” was a variety half-hour featuring Kermit the Frog as the showrunner and host. The series originally aired from 1976 to 1981 on ITV in the U.K. and on CBS in the U.S. In addition to the show’s first three seasons, seasons 4 and 5 will also be available to stream for the first time.
Old 19-01-2021, 21:51   #8413
johnathome
cf.geek

Services: 125Mb VM BB. Prime, XBMC. Paramount+, Netflix, D+
johnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to alljohnathome is a name known to all

Quote:
20th Century Fox back catalogue, stuff like the Alien franchise, not for kids.
Old 19-01-2021, 22:20   #8414
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Chris, it is not me who is missing the point. Continually on this forum, people try to make a point or observation, and if some disagree, they face a barrage of arguments that are not even relevant to the point that was being made.

Take this as an example. All I was saying was that there is a demand out there for everything to be on one box, so that one could subscribe to a platform (eg Virgin Media or Sky) search for a programme that was available on any app on the system, and to bookmark that programme to watch later, so it is listed with your recordings.

It currently works on the V6 but it won’t work on the 360, and some of you seem to think that Netflix is standing in the way.

I don’t know if you thought I was saying anything other than that - perhaps you thought I was talking about total integration (which I wasn’t). I was clearly talking about searching and bookmarking these apps in the same way as you can on the V6. That is all (although obviously further sophistication would be nice).

The reason I have just linked to the ‘Must TV’ article was to show that this continued to be possible.

I hope that clarifies the position.
What you said...

Quote:
Agreed, but the needs of the consumer have to be taken into account. It has been recognised that having all your content in one list is what most people want. They don’t want to go to multiple menus to find what they are looking for.
"There is a demand out there for everything on one box" is quite different from "It has been recognised that having all your content in one list is what most people want."

How do you know "most people want" this, and recognised by whom?

I hope this clarifies the position...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 19-01-2021 at 22:26.
Old 20-01-2021, 00:27   #8415
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It's called STAR it'll be a addon to Disney+ and will have more mature content and some exclusive shows such as Big Sky which is well worth a watch.