Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 13-05-2020, 19:26   #3316
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

I wonder why these clusters are forming in these areas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg north.jpg (129.8 KB, 23 views)
Advertisement
Old 13-05-2020, 19:55   #3317
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
Well . . racism rears its ugly head again

Who'd have thought it in these enlightened times we live in
Some people are always looking for someone else to B[L]AME.
No one knows why [it seems] some races may be more affected (not just in the UK).
Of course, lack of real facts has never stopped the media cooking up a sensational story.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 13-05-2020, 20:02   #3318
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Well, I did ask at the outset of this sub-discussion whether or not I had misunderstood something! Basically the scandal is that there should have been any significant CV deaths at all in care homes.

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:02 ----------

You are wrong to bring politics into this - at least as far as I'm concerned. My assessment of sensationalism is the Torygraph's report on the matter. The article (behind paywall) does not go into the same rationale as Downquark, leaving it to the readers' imaginations.

Also you characterisation of this administration is true of any British government. They're all lying spinmasters.

The GE decided which bunch of spinmasters should govern us.

Right - that's straight now.
I am not bringing politics into this, you are. By misrepresenting the truth to play down the mistakes made by a Government you support, you are being disingenuous. No, nothing is straight if you are unable to recognise the fundamental requirement for honesty in this situation.
Old 13-05-2020, 20:03   #3319
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

I think I may have solved it....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garden.jpg (138.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 13-05-2020, 20:21   #3320
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-13/...hs-nhs-racism/
Well I think it’s bollocks, BAME people appear to be more impacted, but there are genetic, social and occupational reasons not particularly racism.

Why are more people from BAME backgrounds dying from coronavirus? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52219070
Old 13-05-2020, 20:26   #3321
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am not bringing politics into this,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch
The biggest issue we face is that this administration's policy team has its origins in the Vote Leave campaign where the concept of truth was wholly optional and misinformation & misdirection were deliberate strategy decisions.
Old 13-05-2020, 20:34   #3322
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I am not bringing politics into this, you are. By misrepresenting the truth to play down the mistakes made by a Government you support, you are being disingenuous. No, nothing is straight if you are unable to recognise the fundamental requirement for honesty in this situation.
Quote:
You are wrong to bring politics into this - at least as far as I'm concerned. My assessment of sensationalism is the Torygraph's report on the matter. The article (behind paywall) does not go into the same rationale as Downquark, leaving it to the readers' imaginations.

Also you characterisation of this administration is true of any British government. They're all lying spinmasters.

The GE decided which bunch of spinmasters should govern us.

Right - that's straight now.
I am astonished and disappointed with your somewhat insulting remarks. If you read what I wrote (re-quoted above). Of course I recognise the need for honesty and all governments are liars when they've got an indefensible position to protect.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 13-05-2020, 20:39   #3323
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I wonder why these clusters are forming in these areas?
Non adherence to lockdown
Old 13-05-2020, 20:47   #3324
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Non adherence to lockdown
And a lack of common sense of course.
Old 13-05-2020, 21:18   #3325
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-05-13/...hs-nhs-racism/
It affects more men than women but that doesn’t seem to be making many headlines right now. Still, it’s a man’s world...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Old 13-05-2020, 21:40   #3326
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And a lack of common sense of course.
Could be construed as “racist”....................
Old 13-05-2020, 22:46   #3327
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
Truth hurts doesn't it

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I am astonished and disappointed with your somewhat insulting remarks. If you read what I wrote (re-quoted above). Of course I recognise the need for honesty and all governments are liars when they've got an indefensible position to protect.
Don't be astonished. Treating a report of 1000's of additional deaths in the care home sector as "sensationalist" was a mistake. Any report that discusses Government policy documents which set out guidance for transferring possible Covid-infected patients from hositials into the care home system without negative testing should be treated with the utmost seriousness.
Old 13-05-2020, 23:11   #3328
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Truth hurts doesn't it

---------- Post added at 22:46 ---------- Previous post was at 22:28 ----------

Don't be astonished. Treating a report of 1000's of additional deaths in the care home sector as "sensationalist" was a mistake. Any report that discusses Government policy documents which set out guidance for transferring possible Covid-infected patients from hositials into the care home system without negative testing should be treated with the utmost seriousness.
You are accusing me of bias in this matter towards the Conservative government.

To back that up, you've mixed in my complaint that the Torygraph (among others) was headlining the 40% without any discussion of the cause(s). The article (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...us-fatalities/ link to the paywall) does not discuss government policy documents.

I also posed a question as to whether I had misunderstood anything in questioning the scandal. Accordingly, it was made clear by other (more reasonable people) that I had misunderstood the situation - namely I'd not taken into account the scandal of positive tested patients being moved into care homes.

You really need to back down and not politicise this matter nor insult me.

You can have the last word if you want.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 14-05-2020, 01:40   #3329
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Just watched an interesting programme about how South Korea is dealing with the situation and 'only' had 259 deaths:

https://www.channel4.com/programmes/...beat-the-virus

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by downquark1 View Post
To use an analogy, the virus is a runaway train and the lockdown was a brake. Basically it has slowed down enough now you can release the brake a little.

If we release the lockdown and there is no difference then the lockdown was a mistake (although we didn't know that at the time, you only get reliable data on the virus after it has infected a lot of people - also the Chinese data was bullshit)
Thanks, so the lockdown was to delay the numbers of people getting the virus so that the NHS wasn't overwhelmed. Now that the peak has passed, people can go back to work (with cautionary measures) as the NHS will be able to cope with the inevitable number of extra people who will catch and/or die from Covid-19 and that the Government believes that this is worth it to protect the economy as any further damage to it would cause even more problems to our society.

Is that a fair summary?
Old 14-05-2020, 08:46   #3330
downquark1
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FFTC
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal
downquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appealdownquark1 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Thanks, so the lockdown was to delay the numbers of people getting the virus so that the NHS wasn't overwhelmed. Now that the peak has passed, people can go back to work (with cautionary measures) as the NHS will be able to cope with the inevitable number of extra people who will catch and/or die from Covid-19 and that the Government believes that this is worth it to protect the economy as any further damage to it would cause even more problems to our society.

Is that a fair summary?
That's pretty much it. I will add that also people will start rebelling the longer they are locked down for no noticeable reason and with the data we've collected in this time this could give the technocrats more confidence they can predict and manage the situation.

Last edited by downquark1; 14-05-2020 at 08:55.
Closed Thread