Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 22-02-2019, 21:44   #571
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The streaming/on demand services will replace those channels over time. It would certainly simplify the EPG!
So they aren’t offering anything new, just the same old delivered in a slightly different manner. If you are relying on Comcast or Liberty to provide revenue streams you will have to fit their business model.
Advertisement
Old 22-02-2019, 22:39   #572
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
So they aren’t offering anything new, just the same old delivered in a slightly different manner. If you are relying on Comcast or Liberty to provide revenue streams you will have to fit their business model.
It's the change in the method of delivery which appears to give the viewer a better choice of content.

So if I want to view good dramas and films, I might go to (according to our present choice) Netflix or Amazon, maybe StarzPlay. But if I want reality rubbish, I would probably go to Hayu.

In the future, we will have much more choice, so we will be able to pick out the streaming/VOD services that meet our needs.

This will be much more focussed on what we want, compared to the current situation where you have to pay for a multitude of channels you don't want.

Disney + and other services will cater for the kids, and there will be plenty of services catering for other genres.

Sport is the interesting one, and how this will play out is a matter for speculation.

I don't think Comcast and Liberty Global are the main players to watch, quite honestly!
Old 22-02-2019, 23:37   #573
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
The streaming/on demand services will replace those channels over time. It would certainly simplify the EPG!

I smell the whiff of b...s...

---------- Post added at 23:37 ---------- Previous post was at 23:34 ----------

Quote:
It's the change in the method of delivery which appears to give the viewer a better choice of content.

So if I want to view good dramas and films, I might go to (according to our present choice) Netflix or Amazon, maybe StarzPlay. But if I want reality rubbish, I would probably go to Hayu.

In the future, we will have much more choice, so we will be able to pick out the streaming/VOD services that meet our needs.

This will be much more focussed on what we want, compared to the current situation where you have to pay for a multitude of channels you don't want.

Disney + and other services will cater for the kids, and there will be plenty of services catering for other genres.

Sport is the interesting one, and how this will play out is a matter for speculation.

I don't think Comcast and Liberty Global are the main players to watch, quite honestly!
In all honesty, I would have thought sport was the biggest monespinner for a streamer.

If they can't make it pay then linear channels will be here for a long time - even if it's only for sport.

Don't forget the sky empire was built on their exclusive rights to premier league football
Old 23-02-2019, 01:03   #574
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It can survive as long as Sky and/or Virgin Media carry its streaming service on their platforms. It doesn't have to be a conventional channel, though.

Eleven Sports has suffered a serious setback in the UK and frankly I can't see them rowing back from that. However, given their success elsewhere, I wouldn't rule it out altogether.
So they need the existing platforms to mark advance payments to them for minority interest content?
Old 23-02-2019, 09:42   #575
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
It can survive as long as Sky and/or Virgin Media carry its streaming service on their platforms. It doesn't have to be a conventional channel, though.

Eleven Sports has suffered a serious setback in the UK and frankly I can't see them rowing back from that. However, given their success elsewhere, I wouldn't rule it out altogether.
I access Amazon Prime and Netflix directly on my Samsung TV. I can also access a handful of other streaming apps if I choose. A firmware update later this year should also add Apple TV to the line up. I don’t pay a subscription to Sky or Virgin for any bundles. I just buy what I want and, OB, if the future is truly on-demand as you argue, that’s the only way it’s going to work.

If Sky or Virgin have to bundle streaming services for those services to survive, those services have no more right to survive than the bundled linear channels that only exist because they’re thrust under your nose as part of a bundle.
Old 24-02-2019, 19:24   #576
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I access Amazon Prime and Netflix directly on my Samsung TV. I can also access a handful of other streaming apps if I choose. A firmware update later this year should also add Apple TV to the line up. I don’t pay a subscription to Sky or Virgin for any bundles. I just buy what I want and, OB, if the future is truly on-demand as you argue, that’s the only way it’s going to work.

If Sky or Virgin have to bundle streaming services for those services to survive, those services have no more right to survive than the bundled linear channels that only exist because they’re thrust under your nose as part of a bundle.
I accept that there are alternative ways of viewing streaming services. I do this already, with my V6, my Amazon Fire stick, my Roku stick and my smart TV.

The way I see it is that by bundling streaming services, having one search facility and one watchlist for all of those services, there will be added value for the customer. It is far too tiresome to go to each streamer separately to look for content. I'm not saying that such bundling is to enable the streaming services to survive. What I am saying is that bundling will have advantages for the customer.

I see, by the way, that despite the dead hand of the Competition Commission, BBC and ITV are getting together to put in place an SVOD streaming service.

https://inews.co.uk/news/entertainme...classic-shows/
Old 24-02-2019, 19:27   #577
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Hang on ... you’re the one who’s been arguing all along that searching for content on streaming services *isn’t* tiresome, and once people get used to searching, the whole experience is so utterly wonderful that linear channels will die horribly.

Surely you’re not finally accepting that it’s a barrier to use, that you have to deliberately engage with a streaming service rather than just tuning in and flopping on the sofa?
Old 24-02-2019, 21:23   #578
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

I use Netflix occasionally but there is so much on it, it takes ages to settle down to watch what you want.
How much better after a hard day to click through your V6 recordings and within seconds watching something good. What a pleasant surprise when a new series of a favourite programme has appeared .
I want watching TV to be easy and relaxing.
Old 24-02-2019, 21:32   #579
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
I use Netflix occasionally but there is so much on it, it takes ages to settle down to watch what you want.
How much better after a hard day to click through your V6 recordings and within seconds watching something good. What a pleasant surprise when a new series of a favourite programme has appeared .
Completely agree with all that, the majority of our viewing is done from recordings.

The V6 and Sky Q make it near impossible to miss your favourite shows these days and as you say the automatic recording of new shows is a real bonus.

Last edited by muppetman11; 24-02-2019 at 21:51.
Old 24-02-2019, 21:46   #580
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

And when you don’t want to devote time to catching up with your favourite dramas, what’s even more relaxing is a linear schedule on a channel whose theme you’re generally interested in. Tune in and enjoy whatever’s there, no stress, no fuss.
Old 24-02-2019, 22:15   #581
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Great points.
I find Netflix particularly painful.
Old 24-02-2019, 23:07   #582
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Great points.
I find Netflix particularly painful.
We can spend an age trying to find something to watch on it , another point is Netflix Originals are predominately American. most of its British content is third party content from the likes of the BBC and ITV.
Old 25-02-2019, 05:07   #583
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Completely agree with all that, the majority of our viewing is done from recordings.

The V6 and Sky Q make it near impossible to miss your favourite shows these days and as you say the automatic recording of new shows is a real bonus.
And the Wish List and search facilities can bring up all matter of little gems to watch as well.
Old 25-02-2019, 07:22   #584
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Hang on ... you’re the one who’s been arguing all along that searching for content on streaming services *isn’t* tiresome, and once people get used to searching, the whole experience is so utterly wonderful that linear channels will die horribly.

Surely you’re not finally accepting that it’s a barrier to use, that you have to deliberately engage with a streaming service rather than just tuning in and flopping on the sofa?
If all the content is brought together it certainly isn't tiresome. Nor is it when you are dealing with only one streaming service. But if you are dealing with many, it makes sense to centralise all your searches and watchlists, doesn't it?

You are making it sound like some vision of Utopia that I am promoting. I'm doing no such thing, I'm simply describing what I see as being the future for TV. It will happen, whether we like it or not. Surely you can see what is already happening out there.

Ridiculing the whole notion of the shift to VOD only services in a discussion forum will do nothing to change the way this is moving towards what I have been saying for the last four years.

---------- Post added at 07:14 ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 ----------

Quote:
Do you never bookmark the shows on Netflix that appeal to you? If you did that, they would be listed in 'My Shows'. Easy peasy.

---------- Post added at 07:16 ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 ----------

Quote:
And when you don’t want to devote time to catching up with your favourite dramas, what’s even more relaxing is a linear schedule on a channel whose theme you’re generally interested in. Tune in and enjoy whatever’s there, no stress, no fuss.
Just second rate rubbish most of the time. I guess if you are happy to watch any old junk that is thrown at you together with endless adverts, you will be happy with the present system. Hardly stimulating, though, is it?

---------- Post added at 07:22 ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
We can spend an age trying to find something to watch on it , another point is Netflix Originals are predominately American. most of its British content is third party content from the likes of the BBC and ITV.
If you only want to watch British material, the new successor to Project Kangaroo involving BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and maybe Channel 5 might be the streaming service for you when it is launched. Subscribing to Netflix won't be compulsory - there will be far more choice in the foreseeable future.
Old 25-02-2019, 08:17   #585
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Old Boy there’s really no need to be insulting about the viewing habits of other people as “hardly stimulating”. It’s television, by any mechanism it’s delivered, it’s a broadly passive experience.

It’s curious how you are insistent this is how the future must be despite recognising the many barriers new entrants face and fail to recognise that it’s far easier for incumbents in the pay-tv market to deliver apps/on demand than app developers to put their content on the largest platforms with the easiest and most user friendly interfaces.

It’s sitting watching a rectangular box at the end of the day and the vast majority of people don’t feel in any way strongly about the technology behind it. The evidence points to most people enjoying a mix of watching live, on demand and on apps. I’ve no idea why you feel so strongly against offering people a range of options to suit their preferences and needs.

Ironically if television evolves beyond being passive it will be through social media interaction. Which necessitates that everyone is watching at broadly the same second. What’s the cheapest and most effective way to deliver that I wonder?
Closed Thread