Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Linear is old tech - on demand is the future
Closed Thread

Old 21-11-2017, 14:58   #151
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
According to Phenix, there is a growing reluctance by viewers to sign up to streaming services for live sporting events due to latency issues.

Given that streaming is being seen as the way for the future, this will have to be resolved without delay.

Does anyone get this with the Virgin Media V6? I used to get awful problems with the BBC i-Player on my old Tivo, with freezing, stuttering, etc, but no problems at all with the V6s.

I'd like to think that with decent equipment, sufficient Mbs, and decent signal distribution within the home, we would not suffer from these problems.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...ive-streaming/

And yet the way to watch the Olympics this year if you want full coverage, will be through the Eurosport Player.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017...osport-player/

So streaming is the way forward, judging by the quoted report - sports fans expect to get buffering and other problems while watching live streaming!

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not prepared to pay a subscription and get a sub-standard service.

Give me a standard channel broadcast any day.
Advertisement
Old 21-11-2017, 17:18   #152
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
According to Phenix, there is a growing reluctance by viewers to sign up to streaming services for live sporting events due to latency issues.

Given that streaming is being seen as the way for the future, this will have to be resolved without delay.

Does anyone get this with the Virgin Media V6? I used to get awful problems with the BBC i-Player on my old Tivo, with freezing, stuttering, etc, but no problems at all with the V6s.

I'd like to think that with decent equipment, sufficient Mbs, and decent signal distribution within the home, we would not suffer from these problems.

http://advanced-television.com/2017/...ive-streaming/

And yet the way to watch the Olympics this year if you want full coverage, will be through the Eurosport Player.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2017...osport-player/
I am not surprised ! NFL Gamepass has been pretty poor this year and many users have been given a 25% refund. The problems have been across all sorts of platforms, which is very poor considering it has been available for many years from the NFL.
I have often thought about using it myself , but as long as Sky have exclusive live rights to the playoffs there is no point.

Last edited by alwaysabear; 21-11-2017 at 17:22.
Old 21-11-2017, 17:25   #153
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
So streaming is the way forward, judging by the quoted report - sports fans expect to get buffering and other problems while watching live streaming!

I don't know about anyone else, but I am not prepared to pay a subscription and get a sub-standard service.

Well, that assumes that the problems experienced in the States would be likely to be replicated here.

Hazarding a guess, I would say that Virgin Media subscribers with a V6 and a superhub should not experience such problems, provided that the streaming service itself isn't at fault.

As I pointed out earlier, there are no problems with live streaming on BBC's i-Player.

But you are right, sports fans would not pay out for an inferior service.
Old 21-11-2017, 17:27   #154
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post

Just another reason and there are many as to why streaming sports will always be the little brother to the big brother which is Linear TV sport.
Old 21-11-2017, 17:51   #155
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Just another reason and there are many as to why streaming sports will always be the little brother to the big brother which is Linear TV sport.
You would certainly be right if improvements were not made, Den. As I mentioned before, VM viewers with the right kit should not experience such problems (fingers crossed!) provided that the stream itself was robust.
Old 21-11-2017, 18:13   #156
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
You would certainly be right if improvements were not made, Den. As I mentioned before, VM viewers with the right kit should not experience such problems (fingers crossed!) provided that the stream itself was robust.
Its not all about VM OB. Its the companies supplying the streams as well , the provisioning of server space to handle it all and many other technicalities.
Old 21-11-2017, 19:31   #157
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
However a reasonable number of Sky customers (and prospective customers) might not have enough bandwidth - Sky quoted me at around 7Mb/s.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 21-11-2017, 19:44   #158
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
However a reasonable number of Sky customers (and prospective customers) might not have enough bandwidth - Sky quoted me at around 7Mb/s.
Christ! Is that even enough for UHD?
Old 21-11-2017, 19:49   #159
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I had the same thoughts, there are too many people that get poor speeds. Unless this is addressed, it will be difficult for streaming to get enough take up to justify the expense of these sports rights.

As most on here are on VM then it won't be an issue but there are plenty out there not so lucky with speeds
Old 21-11-2017, 20:22   #160
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I had the same thoughts, there are too many people that get poor speeds. Unless this is addressed, it will be difficult for streaming to get enough take up to justify the expense of these sports rights.

As most on here are on VM then it won't be an issue but there are plenty out there not so lucky with speeds
Indeed, I don't know how may customers VM have (and what %age take sports) but I would guess it is small beer compared to sky's figures.
Old 21-11-2017, 20:37   #161
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Christ! Is that even enough for UHD?
Netflix UHD requires around 15-16 mb however they recommend your connection is around 25 mb for a smooth experience.

As Sport is fast moving it requires considerably more , I believe BT require you have at least a 40mb connection for its BT Sport UHD service.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

Quote:
I'm presuming your area has no access to FTTC ?
Old 21-11-2017, 20:42   #162
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

Thing is though companies like gigaclear are already working around that by using 4G to get people ultra fast broadband in rural areas, maybe this will grow into more areas iver time.
Old 21-11-2017, 21:20   #163
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Netflix UHD requires around 15-16 mb however they recommend your connection is around 25 mb for a smooth experience.

As Sport is fast moving it requires considerably more , I believe BT require you have at least a 40mb connection for its BT Sport UHD service.

---------- Post added at 19:37 ---------- Previous post was at 19:34 ----------

I'm presuming your area has no access to FTTC ?
I assume so - that’s the speed quoted by Sky.

Just re-checked (I last looked a couple of months ago) - I got this -
Quote:
Estimated access line speed: 9.3-17.4 Mbps
If I check on the Openreach site, I get this
Quote:
Your cabinet is enabled for Superfast fibre however you're not able to order fibre just yet.

This might be because the length of the line is too long to get Superfast speeds. We're actively looking at other options.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 21-11-2017 at 21:29.
Old 22-11-2017, 17:02   #164
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

As someone who's viewing is 99% via streaming services I've found buffering is a thing of the past with a couple of exceptions, both Eurosport and NFL Gamepass upgraded (outsourced) their services to Bamtech this year and for a while both services were awful treating their paying customers as beta testers.
The NFL did the decent thing and issued a partial refund and since then I have to say the service has been top notch.
Eurosport didn't answer any support tickets and as far as I can tell only fixed their website as I cannot even login anymore on my Fire TV's let alone get any buffering and the app on my Android phone only works intermittently, I'm glad I only paid them £20 for a 12 month subscription and I certainly wont be paying them full price when my sub runs out in January!
Now TV, BT Sports and my US services (Fox, NBCSN and ESPN) all work absolutely perfectly without issue (he says touching a piece of wood so as to not tempt fate lol)

@alwaysabear It is very easy and cheap to bypass the UK blackout on NFL Gamepass, even though I have Sky Sports I do it all the time as I cannot stand Sky's NFL coverage, I don't think I can say too much in the open but if you already have access to a VPN or DNS service you should be good to go.

Latency is an issue with streaming sports as all services are 20-30 seconds behind their broadcast equivalents, but this is only a problem if you are avidly on social media during an event or a very near neighbour is watching the same thing as you and you can hear their cheering.
Old 22-11-2017, 18:21   #165
Raider999
cf.mega poster

For me the slight delay would be no problem.

My issues would be

1) additional cost
2) smooth service as offered by std to channels
3) huge amount of my broadband usage
4) inability to record to watch at a later date (rarely in when matches are on)
Closed Thread