Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Britain outside the EU

Old 15-06-2021, 00:15   #1366
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Purely out if interest, what are your current hopes Andrew?

Given what is done is done, it is extremely unlikely In the next decade, even the next 30 years that a decision on returning would even be entertained let alone ever happen.

Is it your hope that the U.K. fails? Because that won’t happen, at the worst case there may be the odd issue over the odd thing, but the U.K. will continue to be just fine some things may be better and some may be worse.

If you spend the next 30+ years hoping for the worst, that’ll be a very sad existence.
I've always said that I don't see the UK rejoining anytime soon. Brexit is like a slow puncture, the country will underperform economically compared to how it could have done and ditto its global political influence will be less. There's certainly evidence for the former in terms of the highly paid City jobs that have left London. No one's pretending that we'll become poor - just not as rich as we could have been. That wealth translates into lower taxes or more investment in public services like hospitals and police.

What will happen is the country will gradually return to a closer relationship with the EU. The economics of trade make this inevitable. Eventually, it will tip over into full membership.

The tragedy of Brexit is the opportunity cost as it distracts from the key issues that the country faces - economic disparity between the regions of the UK, low productivity and facing up to the global challenge of global warming.

Fool yourself not, discussions with the EU will continue as we've seen with Northern Ireland and fishing. There won't be an end point when Brexit is "done".

Last edited by 1andrew1; 15-06-2021 at 00:20.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-06-2021, 00:27   #1367
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I've always said that I don't see the UK rejoining anytime soon. Brexit is like a slow puncture, the country will underperform economically compared to how it could have done and ditto its global political influence will be less. There's certainly evidence for the former in terms of the highly paid City jobs that have left London. No one's pretending that we'll become poor - just not as rich as we could have been. That wealth translates into lower taxes or more investment in public services like hospitals and police.

What will happen is the country will gradually return to a closer relationship with the EU. The economics of trade make this inevitable. Eventually, it will tip over into full membership.

The tragedy of Brexit is the opportunity cost as it distracts from the key issues that the country faces - economic disparity between the regions of the UK, low productivity and facing up to the global challenge of global warming.

Fool yourself not, discussions with the EU will continue as we've seen with Northern Ireland and fishing. There won't be an end point when Brexit is "done".
Will you continue to, seemingly, take pleasure in gloating at supposed failures or lack of success in the UK’s journey? Opposingly, if in the next several years Brexit is a resounding success for the UK, and the EU projects falters, where does that leave you?
Old 15-06-2021, 00:54   #1368
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Will you continue to, seemingly, take pleasure in gloating at supposed failures or lack of success in the UK’s journey? Opposingly, if in the next several years Brexit is a resounding success for the UK, and the EU projects falters, where does that leave you?
I'll continue to hold the government of the day to account. I take no pleasure in seeing the country's reputation tarnished. But I'm not going to censor myself by not posting any Brexit stories.

If Brexit is a great success and the EU falters then I will obviously be happy that it's been a great success. I've never been rabidly pro-EU in the same way that many on here have been rabidly anti-EU. It's just that on the balance of evidence, I felt the UK was better off in than out.

As you are someone who hails from Liverpool, I'm surprised you've not noticed how EU funding and the European City of Culture has helped turn that city around. Yes, the UK was a net contributor but we've seen how the recent Conservative Governments favours funding their own areas so it is unlikely this funding would have made its way to Liverpool - over 80% went to Conservative towns.
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandp...he-towns-fund/
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-610m-24269389
Old 15-06-2021, 08:38   #1369
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I'll continue to hold the government of the day to account. I take no pleasure in seeing the country's reputation tarnished. But I'm not going to censor myself by not posting any Brexit stories.

If Brexit is a great success and the EU falters then I will obviously be happy that it's been a great success. I've never been rabidly pro-EU in the same way that many on here have been rabidly anti-EU. It's just that on the balance of evidence, I felt the UK was better off in than out.

As you are someone who hails from Liverpool, I'm surprised you've not noticed how EU funding and the European City of Culture has helped turn that city around. Yes, the UK was a net contributor but we've seen how the recent Conservative Governments favours funding their own areas so it is unlikely this funding would have made its way to Liverpool - over 80% went to Conservative towns.
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandp...he-towns-fund/
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politi...-610m-24269389
Old 15-06-2021, 10:00   #1370
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57478412

Quote:
The new trade deal is expected to give UK and Australian food producers and other businesses easier access to each other's markets - an ambition perhaps alluded to by the meal served up to the pair on Monday evening - Welsh lamb and Scottish smoked salmon, washed down with Australian wine.

The UK government says membership of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) could provide British farmers with huge opportunities.

However, there have been concerns in the farming community about the UK compromising on its food standards, as well as tensions in government between the Environment Secretary, George Eustice, and the Trade Secretary, Liz Truss.

UK farmers also have concerns there will be no meaningful safeguards in place to stop farmers being undercut by cheap imports.

Farmers in Australia are allowed to use some hormone growth promoters, pesticides, and feed additives that are banned in the UK.

According to the National Farmers Union (NFU), Australian farmers are able to produce beef at a lower cost of production, and could undercut farmers in the UK.
I'm dubious that Welsh and English lamb producers will be able to compete.
Old 15-06-2021, 10:29   #1371
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'm dubious that much Australian meat will be sent to the UK.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 10:33   #1372
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57478412

I'm dubious that Welsh and English lamb producers will be able to compete.
That depends on customers. If we want to keep nice Welsh (and English) hill lamb we will buy it. NZ lamb fills a nice gap in the seasons so that works. But there is difference in taste even within the UK between low and high land lamb.
We can do the same with beef from Oz, pork from US and so on. If we don't buy it retailers won't sell it.
But will the customers do what helps local farmers or just "enjoy" cheaper bulk product brought in?
Old 15-06-2021, 11:31   #1373
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Based on?
Old 15-06-2021, 11:38   #1374
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I love a bit of Kangaroo.
Old 15-06-2021, 11:54   #1375
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
In 2019, the gap between UK beef production and domestic consumption was 152,000 tonnes. In order to fill this deficit 315,000 tonnes of beef were imported, as 163,000 tonnes were exported.
https://ahdb.org.uk/news/uk-beef-sel...acts-of-brexit

So we have to import as we export so much?

Quote:
Only 0.15% of Australian beef exports went to the UK in 2020, however 14% of the UK’s sheep meat imports came from Australia.
Quote:
(UK) accounts for 44% of Irish beef exports in value terms.

It is also very important for exports of Irish dairy products, taking 40% of our cheese exports in 2020.

The UK is still an important market outlet for Irish pigmeat, accounting for 30% of the total.

The UK accounts for 18% of Irish sheepmeat exports.

Most of Ireland’s poultry exports also go to the UK.
https://www.irishexaminer.com/farmin...-40299209.html

So Ireland (in the EU) is very dependent on the UK market. So that's why they are so against a closed border?
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2021, 12:09   #1376
Sephiroth
Simples

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Based on?
A statement somewhere today that Australia has no spare beef to send to the UK and that 15% of regular lamb imports are from Australia.

https://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presente...id-trade-deal/

Last edited by Sephiroth; 15-06-2021 at 12:18.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:13   #1377
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
https://ahdb.org.uk/news/uk-beef-sel...acts-of-brexit

So we have to import as we export so much?

https://www.irishexaminer.com/farmin...-40299209.html

So Ireland (in the EU) is very dependent on the UK market. So that's why they are so against a closed border?
I think the main reason that the UK and Republic of Ireland are against a border on the island of Ireland is political. Trade is important but it's not the primary reason.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:23   #1378
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
I love a bit of Kangaroo.
Lidl used to do kangaroo steaks now and then and very good they were. Some people protested about it and they stopped.

Anything that makes lamb a bit cheaper has my vote. It's stupidly expensive.
Old 15-06-2021, 12:24   #1379
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
I think the main reason that the UK and Republic of Ireland are against a border on the island of Ireland is political. Trade is important but it's not the primary reason.
An interesting point. Because politicians get worked up over this, your assertion has more than the ring of truth about it. However, sending stuff across the NI border is Ireland’s life blood = trade = politics.

Old 15-06-2021, 19:47   #1380
Sephiroth
Simples

Quote:
Having said the above, 80% of EU beef imports to the UK come from Ireland.

I would have thought that in the background, there are plans for Australian beef to compete for that market.