Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 13-12-2021, 11:52   #511
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
You’re right, you would of thought so. However, the hospitality industry would be up in arms even more than they are now.
That's true . . obviously a fine balancing act between overwhelming the NHS and keeping the economy afloat . . Christmas parties or not
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-12-2021, 11:58   #512
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
That's true . . obviously a fine balancing act between overwhelming the NHS and keeping the economy afloat . . Christmas parties or not
Indeed, I believe we will probably end up in another lockdown. Which could of helped to have been avoided had social distancing been brought back in.

Hope I’m wrong however
Old 13-12-2021, 12:05   #513
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
oh, pardon me. I didn't realise a flow test protected you.

I'd still go with panic though
It's all the selfish people hoarding all the tests and testing themselves every day.
Old 13-12-2021, 12:06   #514
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Indeed, I believe we will probably end up in another lockdown. Which could of helped to have been avoided had social distancing been brought back in.

Hope I’m wrong however
jfman has predicted one too. I hope you're both wrong but I certainly expect stronger measures post Christmas.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 12:11   #515
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:

Hope I’m wrong however
After just seeing the latest BBC article, I'm not placing any bets.

Covid: First UK death recorded with Omicron variant

Sketchy to say the least, no details yet
Old 13-12-2021, 12:21   #516
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
jfman has predicted one too. I hope you're both wrong but I certainly expect stronger measures post Christmas.
Boris had apparently said this morning he won’t rule out implementing further measures prior to Christmas. I don’t expect a lockdown this side of Christmas but I do think rule of six & social distancing could be back in play.

Something has got Boris, Javid & Gove seriously spooked
Old 13-12-2021, 12:21   #517
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

one person has died!..........runs to the hills with head on fire
Old 13-12-2021, 12:22   #518
mrmistoffelees

Quote:

Yup very sketchy, especially as ‘with’ != ‘of’
Old 13-12-2021, 12:52   #519
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

on 1st Nov there were 9670 people in Hospital with Covid, last week 9th Dec there were 7413.

No one was claiming the NHS was about to go under in November .Maybe there was but I didn't see much about it, there was no talk of restrictions.

on the 4th Nov there were 1034 on ventilation beds on the 9th Dec there were 900

on the 27th Oct the daily hospitalisation rate was 1150 on the 6th Dec it was 839.

I don't doubt for one second that these figures will rise, they may get back to early November levels, they may even exceed early November levels.

But the trigger wasn't pulled in early November, which means the Government were OK with those levels.

The fact they have (half) pulled the trigger without data is alarming.

We are not in the situation we were in, in 2020 and early 2021, where you could argue that being cautious and even over cautious was acceptable.

81% have had two Jabs

a further 8% have just the one (most of them will be in the 12-16 category as that was the advice)

and even an impressive 40% have had three (I need to sort mine out this week)

There's approx 9M of the population under 12, which is approx 13%.

Most (I would argue) of the unvaccinated are those that medically can't be and children under 12, that gain no benefit from it.

considering 89% of the population have had the first Jab and 13% been told they don't need it, that really makes the hard core anti-vaxxers, in reality a pretty small number.

Plus there'll be some in that hard core anti-vax that will probably have some natural immunity.

So the vaccines would have to just not work at all, to get to anything that resembles last year.

In short, I can't see how the case for any restrictions at the moment has been made.

Last edited by Pierre; 13-12-2021 at 12:56.
Pierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 12:56   #520
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I am assuming the concern is that we're a few weeks out from huge increases above November levels. The Government has already shown, as you point out, it is happy with the numbers to back then so presumably they think it's going to explode.

They would be projecting the cases to rise x amount, of which y% will go into hospital. Even if y is lower than Delta if X is dramatically higher it would be a problem.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 13:16   #521
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

This is why they are concerned:
https://ourworldindata.org/explorers...ry=NOR~DNK~ZAF

Note Norway and Denmark are ahead of the UK for doubly-vaccinated, but behind for boosters.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 13:19   #522
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
In short, I can't see how the case for any restrictions at the moment has been made.
It's not about current or past levels, it's the issue about future levels that's concerning.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 13:33   #523
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Note Norway and Denmark are ahead of the UK for doubly-vaccinated, but behind for boosters.
But you're looking at infections again. Which would be an issue in a very low vaccinated population.

But we're not.

---------- Post added at 13:32 ---------- Previous post was at 13:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
They would be projecting the cases to rise x amount, of which y% will go into hospital. Even if y is lower than Delta if X is dramatically higher it would be a problem.
But that will only happen if the vaccines don't work.

---------- Post added at 13:33 ---------- Previous post was at 13:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
It's not about current or past levels, it's the issue about future levels that's concerning.
What's concerning about the future levels?
Old 13-12-2021, 14:00   #524
Carth
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Nice chart . . click on the box to add Andorra
Old 13-12-2021, 14:08   #525
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
But that will only happen if the vaccines don't work.
Well, they think there is a vaccine escape right? It seems early data says the booster provides 70-75% protection against asymptomatic infection which is impressively high considering it's developed against an earlier strain and even then they think the booster or the standard two jabs provide more protection against hospitalisation and death.

So encouraging so far but need to roll out that booster faster.

But as I understand it's all early numbers and the case rates are looking at getting so high that if we're wrong about that then problems could happen. If come early January those fears are misplaced then lift the restrictions again.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote