Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | HDMI Splitter required

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

HDMI Splitter required

Old 17-09-2020, 18:21   #1
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
HDMI Splitter required

As you know my mum is coming home very soon.

Where the bed is to the right of the living room she cannot get a decent sight of the TV (Samsung 40"), so we bought an LG 28", I have run a Cat6 & HDMI cable from where the TiVo box sits and bought the HDMI Splitter below.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged the splitter into the TiVo and cable to the other TVs, but I get a black screen on both TVs.

Can anyone recommend a Splitter that will work, Amazon preferred do to time scales?

Last edited by Hom3r; 17-09-2020 at 18:25.
Hom3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 17-09-2020, 18:30   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: HDMI Splitter required

Any should work, as long as you ensure you’re buying one designed to split output, or one sold as bi-directional. It sounds like you may have picked up one designed for connecting multiple peripherals to a single HDMI input on a TV, which won’t necessarily work in reverse.

I don’t use one so can’t recommend, but I wouldn’t spend too much time choosing one on Amazon as long as it explicitly stated “output splitter” or “bi-directional” on the listing. If you did buy such a device, and it doesn’t work, then get a refund.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 19:28   #3
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
As you know my mum is coming home very soon.

Where the bed is to the right of the living room she cannot get a decent sight of the TV (Samsung 40"), so we bought an LG 28", I have run a Cat6 & HDMI cable from where the TiVo box sits and bought the HDMI Splitter below.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/produc...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I plugged the splitter into the TiVo and cable to the other TVs, but I get a black screen on both TVs.

Can anyone recommend a Splitter that will work, Amazon preferred do to time scales?
Silly question but did you connect a USB power supply to it?

pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 19:32   #4
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Services: V6 ,Virgin L. Phone Broadband.sky go Netflix
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal
Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Bought mine on Amazon the brand is neet. Call them and they will tell you the model that will work. The one l would have chosen won't work with V6 glad l called .even helped when I had problems first setting it up ,walked me the whole setup over the phone. It was about the switches on the box.Still have no idea what he was talking about but it worked once he told me what to do.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Sorry,what do you mean? (being nosey) mine is one Cable from v6 in two out to TV,s and connect to mains power source. just seen pic Looks some what like mine but it doesn't have the USB connection just a power lead.
Old 17-09-2020, 19:59   #5
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Not silly.

I have a thru-port plug that has 2 USB port, one powers an Echo Dot, the other was connected to a Fire TV stick.

The splitter has 3 red LEDs that light up when the 3 HDMI cables are connected.

I'll have another look in the morning, just incase i missed something
Old 17-09-2020, 20:13   #6
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Bought mine on Amazon the brand is neet. Call them and they will tell you the model that will work. The one l would have chosen won't work with V6 glad l called .even helped when I had problems first setting it up ,walked me the whole setup over the phone. It was about the switches on the box.Still have no idea what he was talking about but it worked once he told me what to do.

---------- Post added at 18:32 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

Sorry,what do you mean? (being nosey) mine is one Cable from v6 in two out to TV,s and connect to mains power source. just seen pic Looks some what like mine but it doesn't have the USB connection just a power lead.
Often they use a USB type connection for the power supply. A phone or tablet computer charger should do. Even where it isn't a USB type power connection, you can get power cables that plug into a USB type power source. If you use a multi-way USB output device, it can simplify the number of PSUs required. Eg rather than having 4 PSUs plugged in, a single 4 way USB power source could do it instead.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 20:46   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Often they use a USB type connection for the power supply. A phone or tablet computer charger should do. Even where it isn't a USB type power connection, you can get power cables that plug into a USB type power source. If you use a multi-way USB output device, it can simplify the number of PSUs required. Eg rather than having 4 PSUs plugged in, a single 4 way USB power source could do it instead.
Or a 10-way in our case ... all the family's phones, an iPad, two battery boosters and a pocket hotspot.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 21:10   #8
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Not silly.

I have a thru-port plug that has 2 USB port, one powers an Echo Dot, the other was connected to a Fire TV stick.

The splitter has 3 red LEDs that light up when the 3 HDMI cables are connected.

I'll have another look in the morning, just incase i missed something
Might be worth using the power supply that came with it just to be sure.

Your 2 port USB plug may not give enough juice to power the splitter if both ports are in use. Some of those plugs work like that

Hope that helps
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 21:38   #9
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Itshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appealItshim has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

Your 2 port USB plug may not give enough juice to power the splitter if both ports are in use. Some of those plugs work like that

Hope that helps
Do recall that it was all items turned off before connecting and to switch on in a certain order.Cant remember what order.Sorry.
Old 17-09-2020, 22:05   #10
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post

Hope that helps
The USB power adapter is not supplied.
Old 18-09-2020, 14:13   #11
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
The USB power adapter is not supplied.
Of course, should have spotted that in the pic

In which case, the OP should check his adapter is rated at 5V as the manufacturer recommends.

Edit. Shame the pic doesn't state the Amps required, this is where some multi USB adapters are no good. 2.4A if one socket used, 2 x 1.2A if both are used for example. As they are normally used to charge phones/tablets no one really notices the difference as they still work just take longer to charge them depending on rating

Last edited by Joedm45; 18-09-2020 at 14:17.
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 20:44   #12
qwakuk
cf.member

Services: Ultimate Oomph, 3 V6 boxes, M600 BB
qwakuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Could be the power as mentioned or it is faulty

Have 2 similar devices and power everything off (not just standby), plug in cables and turn everything on, definitely need the V6 to go through a mains power cycle with both tvs on

The little lights will go green
qwakuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 22:00   #13
Itshim
Do I care what you think

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwakuk View Post
Could be the power as mentioned or it is faulty

Have 2 similar devices and power everything off (not just standby), plug in cables and turn everything on, definitely need the V6 to go through a mains power cycle with both tvs on

The little lights will go green
Agreed but definitely told to do it in a certain order . Wish l could recall what it was
Old 18-09-2020, 22:04   #14
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itshim View Post
Agreed but definitely told to do it in a certain order . Wish l could recall what it was
I would think the source would need to be the first.
Old 18-09-2020, 23:22   #15
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Apologies I should have posted earlier, I retried this morning and it worked.

I have no idea what I did yesterday, I guess it might have been 3 hours sleep.